Random Thoughts....

What about Leslee?

My point being, that there has always been some parents that have tried to distinguish their child"s otherwise common name.

I also know of a Tracee and a Stacee. I won't even get into Junipurr.

Leslie/Lesley and Francis/Frances are quite easy - think of the letter "i" as a wiener and you'll (almost) always be able to tell one from the other. And if that rule fails then it's not your fault their parents can't spell!

Beverly and Vivian are trickier as they can be both male and female names, and in the latter case females don't always use the gender specific French spelling of Vivienne.

I've overheard teachers at two schools mention having taught siblings named Pepsi and Fanta.

I've seen lost property marked with a kid's name: "Hose-A"..... and I've heard rolls called with kids whose names sounded like Pretty and Handsome.

...who are going to suffer needlessly later in life if they grow up looking like utter gargoyles. :ROFLMAO:

I've seen lost property marked with a kid's name: "Hose-A"..... and I've heard rolls called with kids whose names sounded like Pretty and Handsome.

says it out loud

Any chance that the person who marked it had no idea on how to spell Jose?

Quite likely. No idea if it was a parents or a teacher who wrote it.
I never saw the kid either. Just knew he'd left his hat on the bus.

Homelessness and drug use isn't unique to SF or CA as a whole. Even here in Mormonville, USA they just did "Operation Rio Grande" in which they tore down tents and systematically pushed the homeless out of the west downtown area where they traditionally gravitated due to the concentration of services. Needles in Pioneer Park has been an ongoing complaint for decades, as has human waste.
Unfortunately, the homeless are now scattered all around the valley and have been pushed out to the suburbs. A house in my neighborhood has become a flophouse for transients and junkies (less than a block away) and we are now getting more reports of people jumping fences and looking for unlocked doors; and I live in a fairly safe (even ideal) suburban environment. In the mean time, my friend in Oakland lives in a condo in downtown and we feel perfectly safe walking at night to get dinner.

Speaking of urban problems, this just happened today in Salt Lake.

Homelessness and drug use isn't unique to SF or CA as a whole. Even here in Mormonville, USA they just did "Operation Rio Grande" in which they tore down tents and systematically pushed the homeless out of the west downtown area where they traditionally gravitated due to the concentration of services. Needles in Pioneer Park has been an ongoing complaint for decades, as has human waste.
Unfortunately, the homeless are now scattered all around the valley and have been pushed out to the suburbs. A house in my neighborhood has become a flophouse for transients and junkies (less than a block away) and we are now getting more reports of people jumping fences and looking for unlocked doors; and I live in a fairly safe (even ideal) suburban environment. In the mean time, my friend in Oakland lives in a condo in downtown and we feel perfectly safe walking at night to get dinner.
You might have missed the part where I said I used to live in Vancouver and am used to seeing homelessness and drug use. ;)

Anyhow, I agree with you that this problem isn’t limited to SF or California, or the US (hell, we have tent cities in my town of 100,000)... but the problem in SF is much worse than anywhere else.

Speaking of urban problems, this just happened today in Salt Lake.

WTF was that? A Tesla?

Trash caught fire in a garbage truck, and the truck dumped it. In the street to prevent damage to the truck.

Or, as I am told San Franciscans call it, Wednesday. Only this one didn't successfully dump. :p
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...lled-in-Berkeley-by-firefighting-13743502.php
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...Killing-Fish-in-Berkeley-Creek-508130881.html

Please note the San Franciscan deep concern over fish dying instead of accepting that this was probably the side effect of necessary methods to prevent loss of human life (natural gas canister explosions are very dangerous) and in this case, protecting kids from getting killed or injured...

Or, as I am told San Franciscans call it, Wednesday. Only this one didn't successfully dump. :p
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea...lled-in-Berkeley-by-firefighting-13743502.php
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loc...Killing-Fish-in-Berkeley-Creek-508130881.html

Please note the San Franciscan deep concern over fish dying instead of accepting that this was probably the side effect of necessary methods to prevent loss of human life (natural gas canister explosions are very dangerous) and in this case, protecting kids from getting killed or injured...
CA has plenty of people, fish on the other hand....

This came out of my conversion with a fried. We live in a time where we can actually say that something happened "back when men were men and women were women"

Am I the only one thinking it's kind of perverted that to restore an admittedly beautiful and famous church, some billionaire families shell out hundred of millions of euros within a day, yet with all kinds of other problems in this world, they and the other so-rich-they-can-never-spend-their-money-anyway people, they wouldn't think of it?

Am I the only one thinking it's kind of perverted that to restore an admittedly beautiful and famous church, some billionaire families shell out hundred of millions of euros within a day, yet with all kinds of other problems in this world, they and the other so-rich-they-can-never-spend-their-money-anyway people, they wouldn't think of it?
Not at all.

I'm not. but that's a valid observation

That’s just it, though. People are free to choose the causes they want to support, and who are we to judge one cause over another for other people? There really isn’t any more to it than that.

Shouldn't we be free to make judgements too? That right to.consider things seem to be fundamental to me.

Why does Spotify think I want to listen to a playlist entirely comprised of today's pop music?

That’s just it, though. People are free to choose the causes they want to support, and who are we to judge one cause over another for other people? There really isn’t any more to it than that.
Of course they are, you're entirely correct. My observation is just that people's priorities seem kind of skewed in light of current events.

And if I'm honest, I cannot exempt myself from that. On an entirely different scale of course.

If it’s any crumb of comfort the publicity surrounding Notre Dame has at leased helped the fund raising money for the three churches in Louisiana attended predominantly by African-Americans that were the targets of arson attacks by a white man who is in jail awaiting trial for arson and hate crimes.