Rangers forward Boogaard dead at age 28

DubyaStep

Tampa, Florida but now in Casselberry for school
Car(s)
Ford Thundercougarfalconbird
Im saddened. No matter your sport or nationality i know everyone feels stuff like this. to early to tell what happened but there really is only 2 things i can guess, either Suicide (i doubt) or something related to head trauma. Im really doubting drugs, he was a good man.

The New York Rangers are very saddened to announce the passing of Derek Boogaard.

"Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual," said New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather said in a statement Friday night. "He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time."

The Rangers gave no details about his death.The Minnesota Wild, for whom Boogaard played in his first five seasons, reported that he was found in his apartment in Minneapolis, where he was spending the offseason.

Boogaard began his NHL career with Minnesota and appeared in 255 career games with the Wild from 2005-06 through 2009-10. He signed as a free agent with the Rangers on July 1, 2010, appearing in 22 games in the 2010-11 season.

In 277 regular-season games with Minnesota and the Rangers, Boogaard had 3 goals, 13 assists and 589 penalty minutes -- including 1 goal, 1 assist and 45 PIM with the Rangers in 2010-11.

Throughout his career, Boogaard sought to make a difference in the communities he played in, taking part in numerous charitable endeavors. Boogaard was a supporter of the Defending the Blue Line Foundation, a non-profit charitable foundation whose mission is to ensure that children of military members are afforded every opportunity to participate in the great sport of hockey. While with the Rangers, he created "Boogaard's Booguardians," hosting military members and their families at all New York Ranger home games.

In addition, he made multiple appearances with partner organizations of the Garden of Dreams Foundation, the non-profit charity that works closely with all areas of Madison Square Garden, including the New York Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, MSG Media, MSG Entertainment and Fuse "to make dreams come true for kids facing obstacles."

The Saskatoon, Sask., native was originally Minnesota's seventh-round choice (No. 202) in the 2001 Entry Draft.

"The Minnesota Wild organization sends our deepest sympathies to the family of Derek Boogaard," the team said in a statement. "Derek was a fan favorite during his five seasons with the Wild and will be greatly missed here in Minnesota and throughout the NHL. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Boogaard family during this tragic time of loss."

Link

Just heard about this... way too young :( I really feel for his family too, given the circumstances. must have been a huge shock.