Real drivers cars

Brother Michael

Car(s)
-02 BMW 530d Touring M-Sport
Right, here goes.

The point of this thread is to get some sort of understanding to which cars are actually the ones that you just want to take for a drive in the middle of a night and most importantly; why is it ? Hopefully this'll give a deeper insight to many people and surely some great tips for everyone who wants to buy a car, maybe one with some space in the back but also a bit of flare and driving experience.

Is it the gentle, accurate and precision steering feel. Or perhaps it is the chassis, which has been tuned with such delicacy to respond to bends, even Colin Chapman would be proud. Then again it could be the engine, which may not have all the "poweeeeeeeRR" in the universe but just begs to be revved and driven hard. Maybe it's all of the above, maybe it's something completely different.

And now an important point: I don't mean exclusively 2-seater sports cars meant for track days, oooh no. I mean drivers cars in every single meaning of the word "car". For instance common example usually include every single Porsche and Ferrari, on the cheaper scale Honda S2000, MR2 etc. But there are other cars as well: Ford Mondeo (ST220), BMWs of all sorts, Mazda 6&3 (MPS), Alfa 156 (GTA), Hot Hatches, Audi S4/6/8 and....well you get the point, I mean every kind of car, from the small nimble cornering machine to the big barges that also put a a smile on your face, let's say a 7-series for example.

So I'll begin, with too very humble candidates:

Ford Mondeo (2nd gen)
Ford%20Mondeo%20sedan.jpg

The Mondeo is a very good car to drive. Borig to look at, maybe. Common as flu, absolutely. But the latter one is for a good reason. The chassis is a brilliant compromise between everyman sportiness and comfort, the suspension isn't soft and wobbly and the best bit is the steering: nicely weighted, good feel and very precise. Even with the tiniest 1.8 engine (which I used to have) it still a blast in the corners. Only bigger complaint is about the pedals: lack feel and the gas pedal isn't exactly gentle.

Mazda 6 (1st gen)
mazda-6-driving.jpg

About the same things as with the Mondeo, but the main difference is that the 6 is a bit sportier. Also meaning it's not as comfortable. But the steering is even better and the chassis is the best with "normal family cars" I've come across; it's fabulous. Some may find the gearbox too stiff and edgy, but I actually like it that way (also used to have one of these for a few months). It is sharp, but you do need to use some force to change gear.

So there, the field is open and I hope we could (for once) have an actual change of opinions without it braking into a full-on flamewar. Game on !

Last edited:
Only 1 answer needed:

super7cars-lotus7.jpg

/end thread.

Posmo: Did you even read my OP ??

And now an important point: I don't mean exclusively 2-seater sports cars meant for track days

Public: I'm not following....if you mean how many doors I managed to scrape, brake or damage, while being stupid....well none, actually :p

.....only one rear wheel complete with the brake disc and bits of the suspension :cry:

Only 1 answer needed:

super7cars-lotus7.jpg

/end thread.

:wall:

And now an important point: I don't mean exclusively 2-seater sports cars meant for track days, oooh no. I mean drivers cars in every single meaning of the word "car". For instance common example usually include every single Porsche and Ferrari, on the cheaper scale Honda S2000, MR2 etc. But there are other cars as well: Ford Mondeo (ST220), BMWs of all sorts, Mazda 6&3 (MPS) and....well you get the point, I mean every kind of car, from the small nimble cornering machine to the big barges that also put a a smile on your face, let's say a 7-series for example.

I doubt an 7 is a great driver car.
My vote, and its a bias one, is for the GTI. Then again I would say any hatch back. Yeah they are FWD, but, they do the job 9-5 and till make you smile on the weekend. Not many good RWD cars can be had cheap and most are BMW's and there looks are just meh.

I guess a clean, suitably lightened and very tastefully improved BMW E30 could be a delight to drive. I've had the pleasure to tool around a dirt track with an endurance-racing prepared 325iM, which was very nice. Until we had a puncture. :p

DC2 ITR for FWD cars it can't be beat.
Handles wonderfully (EVO mag said it was best handling FWD car ever after a 12 car group test)
Wonderfully reliable
enough room for 4 (though it is a 2 door)
also pretty awesome gas mileage for the performance

I'm driving a Mazdaspeed 6 (MPS, but with more POWERRRRRRRRRRR) this week, and I have to say, I take the long way to places so I get to drive it more.

I guess my reading comprehension is better than yours, it said its not exclusive to two seater or track cars.

Exactly. Of course there are many 2-seater sports cars that offer the ultimate driving experience, (already MX-5 and RX-7 mentioned).

What I was after were drivers cars in general, from every class there is, that includes 2-seaters.
What I actually WASN'T after were exactly the types like Caterhams, Ariel Atoms, Nobles etc = pure track cars.

Oh, and if you guys could give some credentials as to why/what makes the car of your proposal a drivers car, because everyone may not get the point right away.

I am such a fan boy. And to think I once made fun of the Camaro Squad here, and I am just as guilty.

Impreza WRX. It works great for commuting, fits four people, relatively affordable and you can, in the course of one day, thrash it around a track, a windy road, an ice and snow covered road, dirt roads, off road and it will always get you back home.

Did you know the WRX has aluminum doors, roof, bonnet, and boot lid? This car is a detuned rally car, made civil with all season tires and a good firm suspension.

I am not going to include the EVO or STI, because they are not, in my opinion, multi purpose and a bit expensive for the masses. They rely on gummy tires and rock hard suspension that can tiring for everyday use.

Where is that bullshit meter?

Please elaborate, because my reading comprehension is telling me that you're being an internet douche. I drove that Maxima for three years, and it was great for handling the twisty roads around Nashville; 4-wheel independent suspension, smooth 5-speed stick, and torquey V6 are a combo that, even with FWD, made for a fun yet comfy daily driver.