Rear wheel getting hot on 2007 hyundai sonata.

Juge

My parents have a 2007 hyundai sonata with about 160k km. In last december, driver side rear wheel got too hot to touch (tested from lugnuts because of plastic hubcaps that are attached with lugnuts). In the rear there's dics brake with drum handbrake. Car was taken to local mechanic shop and rear discs, handbrake cables and shoes were replaced.

Then, for abouth half a year everything was pretty good, occasionally driver's side rear might feel slightly warm while passenger side was completely cold. Then in august, the wheel again got too hot to touch and this time there also was chirping noise. I inspected it myself. Wheelbearing spun fine and didn't have any play in it, handbrake mechanism worked smoothly, caliper piston and sliding pins moved smoothly, as did brakepads. I even filed and put copper paste on the surfaces that the handbrake shoes slide on. Brakepads and shoes looked pretty much brand new. Everything was fine for week or so until once again wheel got too hot to touch. This time parents took the car to a family friend who used to be car mechanic. He said pretty much exactly same things as myself: Wheelbearing spun fine and didn't have any play in it, handbrake mechanism and shoes worked smoothly, caliper piston and sliding pins moved smoothly, as did brakepads. He only adjusted the handbrake, yet the heating problem vanished.

Once again everything worked fine up until day before yesterday, when there was chirping noise and the wheel got so hot that water boiled slowly off the lugnuts. And the interesting part is: yesterday the wheel didn't get hot, but today it did.

Any ideas what could be wrong in the rear wheel?

edit: Handbrake cable has beed also correctly adjusted.

Last edited:
Is it possible that somebody is riding the brake?

If that were the case, you'd have two or four wheels getting hot. This looks like sticking caliper piston or pistons, internally collapsed brake hose on that wheel or bad ABS valving block.

Yeah, no riding on the brake in this case.

Now the brake also started to smell. Dad has ordered a refurbished caliber to replace the current one, hopefully that solves the problem.

Also, forgot to mention that the car went through MOT inspection in last june, and there were no fault codes. I'll ask if that family friend has obd2-reader, I have the workshop manual to check the possible codes.

It seems that it was just sticking piston that caused all the problems. The refurbished caliber was installed two weeks ago and all the problems have disappeared.