Votes: 30 18.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 4.8%

• Total voters

No Boss

Neener, neener, I banned your title!
Car(s)
'07 Volvo XC70 Polestar, '01 Miata SE
Like most, I've been here a decent while and have seen a lot of different threads in this particular part of the boards, but have never seen one on religion. I searched and there are only a few threads regarding the topic. But I've noticed over time that a few people have dropped hints as to their religious affiliations.

I'm gonna make this anonymous just because I know it's a sensitive issue. Obviously I can't list ALL religions so I tried to get the most popular ones.

Edit: Forgot to say, hopefully we can keep this civil, right guys? :D

Last edited:
Mainline Lutheran aka the Country Club Lutheran.

Militant Agnostic: "I don't know and you don't either!"

I always wondered if people who're atheist are offended by agnostics. I mean, when you call an agnostic an atheist, it's like they get offended and point out that they're "in fact" agnostic. And that they don't believe in Religion because there is a lack of factual evidence. Meaning what? That atheists just don't believe in a Religion because they simply don't want to?

I never understood that. I'm pretty sure if there was concrete evidence, supporting whatever religion, that atheists wouldn't blindly ignore it and hang on to their atheist "beliefs".

Atheist and damn proud of it.

Cheers! I wasn't sure about that, I'll try to change it if I can.

edit: baaahhhh no luck, Whatever you know what I'm talkin' about haha.

Fixed.

I always wondered if people who're atheist are offended by agnostics. I mean, when you call an agnostic an atheist, it's like they get offended and point out that they're "in fact" agnostic. And that they don't believe in Religion because there is a lack of factual evidence. Meaning what? That atheists just don't believe in a Religion because they simply don't want to?

I never understood that. I'm pretty sure if there was concrete evidence, supporting whatever religion, that atheists wouldn't blindly ignore it and hang on to their atheist "beliefs".

As an atheist, I'm certainly not offended by agnostics. If you're not sure, that's fine and dandy ... but I've made up my own mind thank you very much. But I'm certainly not going to be offended if you call me an agnostic. Calling me a fundamentalist Christian, on the other hand, might get you a punch in the face.

Isn't it that agnostics believe that there may be a higher power, but they just aren't sure since it can't be proven?

Atheist on the hand don't believe at all.

Yeah, splitting hairs nearly, but there's a difference.

Yeah I realize what being an Agnostic means, but it seems like it implies that Atheists have no real reason for their beliefs.

I am a Pastafari.
RAmen.

muslim and islamic, isn't that the same thing? And you put shinto twice. :lol:
EDIT: And you forgot to out Scientology up there ... shame on you, Tommy will be "Right here, right now, I'm angry, very angry!" :lol:
\you also didn't put wicca up there
\\or druids
\\\or mass-suicidal cults ... oh nevermind, they're all dead. :|
\\\\or Jedi
\\\\\or Klingons

... seriously man, you missed the best ones. :thumbsdown:

Last edited:
"Christian/Catholic" why do you need to say both?

"Christian/Catholic" why do you need to say both?

There are slight differentiations with both. Some don't consider themselves part of the other.

Right listen, sorry about the typos and "repeats", I just came down with some god awful cold and can barely see straight. Maybe Viper could edit the mistakes. Sorry.

That's why christians will probably be the most, because there's so many branches of christianity to choose from.

And why would any catholics say they're not christians? It's like saying they don't believe in Jesus Christ.
Oh, and where's that category for "undecided" or "none of the above" or "not gettng dragged in a religious discussion" or " I stopped attending sunday school when I was a kid and I'm not going back there" ?

Or better yet: "I slept with the preacher's daughter and got ex-communicated, so now I'm in between"?

EDIT: Maybe Viper can add some of these onto the poll.

Last edited:
Yeah I realize what being an Agnostic means, but it seems like it implies that Atheists have no real reason for their beliefs.

Most people have a very poor understanding of the meanings of Agnosticism and Atheism and thus misuse these labels very often. I myself am still trying to wrap my brain around the differences between these two terms. The following are quotes from a very good web page that I found a while ago which lays out the muddy differences between Agnosticims and Atheism clearly:

"What is atheism?"

Atheism is characterized by an absence of belief in the existence of gods. This absence of belief generally comes about either through deliberate choice, or from an inherent inability to believe religious teachings which seem literally incredible. It is not a lack of belief born out of simple ignorance of religious teachings.

Some atheists go beyond a mere absence of belief in gods: they actively believe that particular gods, or all gods, do not exist. Just lacking belief in Gods is often referred to as the "weak atheist" position; whereas believing that gods do not (or cannot) exist is known as "strong atheism."

It is important, however, to note the difference between the strong and weak atheist positions. "Weak atheism" is simple skepticism; disbelief in the existence of God. "Strong atheism" is an explicitly held belief that God does not exist. Please do not fall into the trap of assuming that all atheists are "strong atheists." There is a qualitative difference in the "strong" and "weak" positions; it's not just a matter of degree.

Some atheists believe in the nonexistence of all Gods; others limit their atheism to specific Gods, such as the Christian God, rather than making flat-out denials.

"What is agnosticism then?"

The term 'agnosticism' was coined by Professor T.H. Huxley at a meeting of the Metaphysical Society in 1876. He defined an "agnostic" as someone who disclaimed both ("strong") atheism and theism, and who believed that the question of whether a higher power existed was unsolved and insoluble. Another way of putting it is that an agnostic is someone who believes that we do not know for sure whether God exists. Some agnostics believe that we can never know.

In recent years, however, the term agnostic has also been used to describe those who simply believe that the evidence for or against God is inconclusive, and therefore are undecided about the issue.

To reduce the amount of confusion over the use of term agnosticism, it is recommended that usage based on a belief that we cannot know whether God exists be qualified as "strict agnosticism" and usage based on the belief that we merely do not know yet be qualified as "empirical agnosticism."

Words are slippery things, and language is inexact. Beware of assuming that you can work out someone's philosophical point of view simply from the fact that she calls herself an atheist or an agnostic. For example, many people use agnosticism to mean what is referred to here as "weak atheism," and use the word "atheism" only when referring to "strong atheism."

Beware also that because the word "atheist" has so many shades of meaning that it is very difficult to generalize about atheists. About all you can say for sure is that atheists don't believe in God. For example, it certainly isn't the case that all atheists believe that science is the best way to find out about the universe.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/intro.html

I've never seen the same hair split so many times. People sure are obsessed with things they don't believe in.