Replacing my Fox

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
Car(s)
Z4.2
I'm thinking about replacing my Fox, probably late this month motivated by working in a galaxy far, far away...

Things it should do...

• reasonable autobahn performance - no need to do a lot more than 200kph, but doing 160 should be comfortable for longer distances
  • up to 100hp/ton should do
  • basic creature comforts (ac, stereo, power windows/mirrors, yada yada)
  • no need for fancy stuff like power seats, posh stereo, built-in satnav
  • nothing "exotic", for example Subaru makes nice cars but aren't very common in Germany so buying one will expose me to scarce shops, weird resale opportunities, ...
  • be available somewhere near me, ie in the 24xxx post code region, or anywhere north of Hamburg

Budget-wise I'm thinking under 20k?, can be new(ish) or maybe 2-3 years old.

For example I've seen a newish (no miles, never registered, but I guess it stood at the dealer for a while) '09 Octavia 1.4 TSI estate at 16890?. Looks like it fits my needs, any thoughts/ideas?

... there are quite some 1,5 year old Ford Focus STs with 3 or 5 doors out there for that kind of money ...

a quick mobile.de search didn?t show any in HH directly ... but a tasty blue 3door in Nordenham, a sleek dark-grey 5 door in Wolfenb?ttel and a black 3 door in Vechta ...

'09 Octavia 1.4 TSI estate at 16890?. Looks like it fits my needs, any thoughts/ideas?
... too expensive. Wait a month in the current car-sales crisis and you should be able to pick up a year old ocatvia with the smallest engine for less than 13grand ...

Last edited:
If reliable, clean (and even fun) practical car is what you need, then there's always Mazda 3. My favourite in that segment.

However I am not sure about how that will handle the Autobahn (we obviously don't have those). Having said that I do believe it will be better than a 1.4 Octavia.

The octavia is a splendid car in it's own right. I've often wondered why someone looking for a car in that size buys something else... (subjective view on the looks and the brand have to be the only reasons not to...)

I've poked about Autoscout a bit and the cars that popped up that I would be interested in if I did lots of autobahn kilometers were "oldish" (2007) Audi A4 Avants and BMW 3-Series Tourings. There's so much to choose from. Do you want petrol or diesel (I assume diesel because it's teh bestest) and how much space do you want? How many kilometers maximum?

By the way I've decided you live in Henstedt-Ulzburg :p

MkV GTI without DSG and SatNav? 2 or 3 years old shouldn't be a problem to get under 20k?...

You could probably get a used octavia vRS for that kind of money. But I suppose they are quite rare.

Must be a VW and not a '79-'93 Mustang... :lol:

That's what I was thinking to.

Fox bodies are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape anymore.

I can't seem to find one with even the stock exhaust on it. I think they've all been replaced. Hell, I can't even find a stock h-pipe anymore :lol:

for some reason that makes no sense I was thinking this:
'79-'93 Mustangs are also known as Fox body Mustangs.

That's what I was thinking to.

Fox bodies are getting harder and harder to find in decent shape anymore.

I can't seem to find one with even the stock exhaust on it. I think they've all been replaced. Hell, I can't even find a stock h-pipe anymore :lol:

I think I have a stock H laying around.

'79-'93 Mustangs are also known as Fox body Mustangs.

I know that. The fact I was thinking of a real fox in a car forum is what makes no sense.:p

That's because they all rusted off.

How much do early six-cyl e90 BMW's cost around there?

I've found lots of very new A3s, some high mileage A6s, although no A4s/3ers (I haven't done much searching around yet). Some of these cars are out of Germany (d'oh, forgot to put in your city), but here are some examples of stuff I turned up.

'09 A3 2,0 TDI

'08 118i (fully loaded)

'10 A3 1,4TSI

'08 A3 2,0 TDI

'08 SCIROCCO 1,4 TSI

'09 Octavia Combi RS

EDIT: Okay, I've guessed your PLZ is 24103 and tried another search, the results are as follows (the years are written as Erstzulassung to minimize confusion- more for me I imagine:

'09 147 3 Tueren Serie 3 1,9 JTD 8V

'08 Golf VI 2,0 TDI DPF "Comfortline"

'07 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI DPF Titanium X

'06 325xi (only 5.575km)

New '10 A3 3-T?rer Attraction 1,4 TFSI

Also, it would help if you specified diesel or petrol and a bit more details about the size of car.

Last edited:

... there are quite some 1,5 year old Ford Focus STs with 3 or 5 doors out there for that kind of money ...

Like I said, I don't need uber amounts of power. Apart from that the only newish Focusses available are 1.6s and 1.8s.

a quick mobile.de search didn?t show any in HH directly ...

If you want to search around me enter 24103 as post code and 50km as radius ;)

... too expensive. Wait a month in the current car-sales crisis and you should be able to pick up a year old ocatvia with the smallest engine for less than 13grand ...

I've seen a 2yo octavia 1.9 TDI with 40000km, 13k?. Less power than the 1.4 TSI, ugly :lol:, not significantly less fuel, more taxes. Dunno if 2 years + 40kkm is worth the 3.8k? saved :?

The 1.4TSI isn't the smallest engine in terms of power btw, there's the n/a 1.4, n/a 1.6, 1.6 TDI all with less power.

If reliable, clean (and even fun) practical car is what you need, then there's always Mazda 3. My favourite in that segment.

However I am not sure about how that will handle the Autobahn (we obviously don't have those). Having said that I do believe it will be better than a 1.4 Octavia.

Yeah, I've looked at 6s a bit earlier, not many around though :(

Just checked out 5-door 3s, quite expensive :( a half-year-old demo car with a few thousand km is 18.5k?. In terms of driving it probably would work as well as the 1.4 TSI. I guess the 2k more is purely for the brand :lol:

The octavia is a splendid car in it's own right. I've often wondered why someone looking for a car in that size buys something else... (subjective view on the looks and the brand have to be the only reasons not to...)

Indeed. I don't mind the badge, underneath it's a Golf. Except that the equivalent Golf will be at least 4k more expensive...

I've poked about Autoscout a bit and the cars that popped up that I would be interested in if I did lots of autobahn kilometers were "oldish" (2007) Audi A4 Avants and BMW 3-Series Tourings. There's so much to choose from. Do you want petrol or diesel (I assume diesel because it's teh bestest) and how much space do you want? How many kilometers maximum?

Newish, don't want something with a lot of kms on the clock, maybe up to 50kkm. When looking at BMW/Audi anything with lowish kms was way too expensive :(

In terms of petrol or diesel... a clever petrol engine doesn't consume that much more, so I'd say either a diesel or clever petrol.
A diesel is roughly 150? more in taxes, at current fuel prices I'd save about 2? per 100km - it'd pay for the taxes after 7500km a year. Hence, if it is about the same price to buy then it'd be worth it, if it is significantly more expensive then it isn't.

My personal preference is slightly towards petrol, even though the modern diesels have come a long way they're still rougher and noisier.

MkV GTI without DSG and SatNav? 2 or 3 years old shouldn't be a problem to get under 20k?...

There are no newish GTIs on offer around here :( and like the ST above, no need for uber power.

A regular Golf with the 122hp TSI, 1.5years old, 20kkm is 16k?... while underneath it's the same car, just no estate.

Must be a VW and not a '79-'93 Mustang... :lol:

That's why it says VW Fox in my cars on the left.

If you want something more stylish, i say get a Citroen Biturbo TDI C6. Should be around 20k 2 years old. For example: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/s...EPAIRED&export=NO_EXPORT&customerIdsAsString=

While it would be funny to have a car with FAP in the name, it's a bit on the expensive side. Might as well buy a 3series or A4 for that money ;)

How much do early six-cyl e90 BMW's cost around there?

The cheapest newish E90 320i (yes I know, 4cyl) I found is a 2005 one with 55kkm, about borderline in terms of newish :) he's asking for 14.5k?. Cheapest 6cyl one is 18k?.

I've found lots of very new A3s, some high mileage A6s, although no A4s/3ers (I haven't done much searching around yet). Some of these cars are out of Germany (d'oh, forgot to put in your city), but here are some examples of stuff I turned up.

EDIT: Okay, I've guessed your PLZ is 24103 and tried another search, the results are as follows (the years are written as Erstzulassung to minimize confusion- more for me I imagine:

'09 147 3 Tueren Serie 3 1,9 JTD 8V

'08 Golf VI 2,0 TDI DPF "Comfortline"

'07 Mondeo 2.0 TDCI DPF Titanium X

'06 325xi (only 5.575km)

New '10 A3 3-T?rer Attraction 1,4 TFSI

Also, it would help if you specified diesel or petrol and a bit more details about the size of car.

Hehe stretching the "under 20k?" :) for diesel or petrol, see above.

Let's see, Alfa 147... pretty... my heart wants an Alfa, but my brain says too low value for money. Later in life maybe.

Golf 6 TDI... decent car, but I don't feel like paying for the VW brand. Underneath it's pretty much the same car. I did some comparisons for similar age/mileage/equipment, the Golf premium always is about 2-5k?. I really like Golfs, but I don't think its worth it.

A3 TFSI... same car underneath, even the same engine, just with an extra F in the name. A lot more money though for a few rings :(

A couple of clarifications on the requirements...
20k? is a lot, I'd be happy with a few ks under it.
Sensibleness is more important to me now than poshness or soul (a pound into James' stereotypes box).
Some luggage capacity would be nice.
By "newish" I think of under maybe 40kkm.

I've of course already looked at the obvious cars (Golf, 3-series, C-class, Mondeo, ...). Was wondering if I've missed any :) or if an Octavia owner can either talk me into his car or out of it, depending on experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for the details, hopefully these are more suitable?

'08 Volvo C30

'10 Mazda 3 1.6 (it's a 5 door hatch though)

'09 Suzuki SX4 4x4 -it's different, useful and fairly new, though I'm sure Germany's Suzuki network is rather small.

'06 Clio RS
- it's a bit sporty, so I'd definitely suggest giving it a test drive to see whether or not the ride is too firm

'05 Mini Cooper S JCW- sporty, but still a good car- absolutely no back seat though

I'll try another 147 :p

Maybe a new MiTo?

'05 325i- honestly, if you go with a BMW 3er without a 6 cylinder, you're missing out on the whole experience. My realistic recommendation would be to find a 120d/i or the equivalent. Go for a VAG product if you want a smaller 4 cylinder car.

'06 118d- getting it chipped at around 400 Euros will solve any power problems

'05 120i

The most realistic choice would have to be a Skoda though- the value for money is infinitely better than VW, Audi, Merc, BMW, etc. They're cheap and can had with comparable equipment to the A4/3er/C-Class. Some additional information for Mercedes though- they had a QC turn around in '06, so '06 or newer cars should be fine, or at least better. The W203 is a very passable car though, the 3er and A4 are better buys.

Thanks for the details, hopefully these are more suitable?

'08 Volvo C30

'10 Mazda 3 1.6 (it's a 5 door hatch though)

'09 Suzuki SX4 4x4 -it's different, useful and fairly new, though I'm sure Germany's Suzuki network is rather small.

'06 Clio RS
- it's a bit sporty, so I'd definitely suggest giving it a test drive to see whether or not the ride is too firm

'05 Mini Cooper S JCW- sporty, but still a good car- absolutely no back seat though

I'll try another 147 :p

Maybe a new MiTo?

'05 325i- honestly, if you go with a BMW 3er without a 6 cylinder, you're missing out on the whole experience. My realistic recommendation would be to find a 120d/i or the equivalent. Go for a VAG product if you want a smaller 4 cylinder car.

'06 118d- getting it chipped at around 400 Euros will solve any power problems

'05 120i

The most realistic choice would have to be a Skoda though- the value for money is infinitely better than VW, Audi, Merc, BMW, etc. They're cheap and can had with comparable equipment to the A4/3er/C-Class. Some additional information for Mercedes though- they had a QC turn around in '06, so '06 or newer cars should be fine, or at least better. The W203 is a very passable car though, the 3er and A4 are better buys.

C30... I really like Volvos. Just not this one, every time I see one I can't help thinking that my Fox probably offers more space. It's more a handbag than a car :cry:

Mazda 3... looks quite nice. 5-door hatch is about the size I was considering, I'll definitely go see one in the metal before making up my mind.

Suzuki 4x4... right now I'd probably buy one because of tons of snow, but it's not worth it the other 350-360 days in an average year.

Clio RS... probably fun to drive, but I'd get an expensive car with little comfort and space.

JCW Mini... I know that car, it's right around the corner... but same thing as with the Clio RS, I don't need the asbo look at me hot hatch. Who knows how the original owner drove it in the four years anyway, I'd guess people don't buy the double hot hatches for pootling along :mrgreen:

MiTo... another handbag car :( for example I'd like to go up in space, not down compared to the Fox.

1-series... can't stand them, just like an A2/3. Tiny car, posh badge, huge price tag. Power issues? 122hp in a hatchback will do just fine. The 90hp Astra estate gets moving, the 118d should be lighter and has 35% more power.

Good to hear that for a sensible/realistic choice I probably haven't missed many important options :nod: I'll probably go sit in some cars on Saturday, see what's what. So far the Mazda 3 and the TSI Octavia are on the short list. Thanks to the Fox having so many problems in its first two years I've basically driven the entire VW range as demos while it's in the shop, nothing to test there :)

While it would be funny to have a car with FAP in the name, it's a bit on the expensive side. Might as well buy a 3series or A4 for that money ;)

Yeah, but that's just what buying a used C6 (or XM, in the lower price bracket) is all about: You get a full-size executive saloon for less than family saloon money.

If reliable, comfy transport is what you want, there's no reason to look further than Skoda, VW or Ford in Germany.
BMW, Merc (and Audi, even if not to the same extent) are ridiculously overpriced, all Opels that have been on the market long enough to be available used are shit, Volvo, Saab and other small-time european carmakers will give you the same exotic-car problems (small dealer network, bad spare availability) as the Citroen, but without making it up with the brilliant hydropneumatic suspension.

...as long as you don't look at the japanese offerings. The Toyota Corolla, eventhough a symbol of automotive boringness, is also a pillar or economy and reliability, and the Mazda 3 has already been mentioned.

Good News! You'll get two fully-specced, brand-new Dacia Sanderos for under 20k ?!