Replacing my Fox

Last edited:
Last edited:
the teacher at my school told me if a car isn't started for a year, the block starts to oxidize and basically he says it will wear the piston rings much sooner

if the engine is left in the car, and nothing gets disconnected, not to much oxygen can get into the engine, and everything inside is covered in a layer of oil anyways

i've been told that as well, but don't beleive to much of it (and definately not after a year). apparently if you leave a porsche standing for a few years, the pistons will sink in the engineblok (boxerengine), and it won't turn over anymore...

...haven't heard of a single occurence though

PS: i don't beleive anything until i've seen prove :p

One year isn't so much, and you can certainly ameliorate such a problem before attempting to perform a first start. However, it is far more common in engines that have sat up outside a lot longer than a year. It's also more common in motorcycle engines, which can get stuck or frozen from being stored outside without running in less than a year (I forget the exact reason - but I've had to repair my share of these.)

Last edited:
A friend of mine bought an i30 during the scrappage scheme, among other reasons cause TG magazine liked it and is quite happy with it.

EDIT: Where is your new job (congrat on it!), by the way?

Funnily the i30 link points me to the exact dealer where I saw the Octavia :D

If everything works out then I'll be in northeast NRW during the winter break, ie February to mid-April. About 375km from home :?
Nothing signed yet so nothing to congratulate on, going there on Wednesday :cool:
I'll let the world know in the achievement thread when/if things finalize :p

The Fox needs replacing some time this year anyway, so this is a good opportunity.

I did find other Volvos, mostly V50s if they are of any interest.

'08 V50

I really do like the V Volvos, had a V70 during a short trip to Sweden in the summer. Lovely car. Sadly quite expensive :cry: not only to buy, but to run. Volvo mechanics are quite greedy.

Having a flexifuel (as in E85 ethanol) has little benefit in Germany. For example you can enter Stockholm without the local congestion charges, for that it makes perfect sense. There's no such thing over here though. E85 stations are rather scarce as well, so I'd probably run a lot on regular petrol. No point in paying for the flexifuel then.

Teeheehee. Try again in maybe four years :lol:

'06 Accord 2,0 Auto- this one seems promising, one owner, no accidents, non-smoker

I'm too young to go down automatic hell... compared to the V50 the Volvo wins. Same price, 1.5 years younger, 10kkm more, less thirsty. Its 125hp is more than enough :rolleyes:

Mazda3 already made the short list a few posts back :tease:

winter break, ie February to mid-April.

Now i'm really waiting for wednesday to find out what job makes a student able to afford a 20k ? car :p

(I got a feeling it might be IT-related, though)

One of my average income friends bought a ?45k BMW X3. Yes I am very jealous but I struggle to see how she paid for it.

:ph34r:

Now i'm really waiting for wednesday to find out what job makes a student able to afford a 20k ? car :p

(I got a feeling it might be IT-related, though)

:lol:

The Fox is also used by my sister, after the 2-month period the replacement will do that as well. Hence I don't need to worry about money too much, as long as it's reasonable.

Did some looking around in the metal today :)

Mazda3... the dealer I went to was a failure, it's a Mazda service partner but doesn't really have many Mazdas for sale. Looked at one a bit though, lots of weird details :blink: for example I don't see the point in the additional rear light covers standing out. Might be nice to drive, but just didn't feel right.

Octavia... looks nice and solid. When there's less snow I'll take one for a spin :mrgreen:

The dealer also suggested a Roomster, but I don't like minivans or similar cars.

Was at Toyota as well, the Auris would fit the size... but it's even weirder than the Mazda3 :lol: some design genius decided to raise up the gear lever for no apparent reason. Severely reduces the feeling of roominess, or whatever you call it. From the outside you'd expect a dead conservative car...

I pinched myself real bad on the stupid stupid handbrake in the Auris. Also it's made from thin thin plastic.

Failed to find anything better in terms of value for money that I liked, so I signed today for a silver Octavia TSI :burnrubber:

I am indeed that curious- as a matter of fact, I'm looking through the options now... :lol:

Not bad- heated seats...mmmm...so comfy...Definitely a necessity in Germany.

400 euros isn't too bad for winters I imagine (but what do I know :p)

Is it typical to only have a two year warranty in Germany, or the Euro market for that matter? What's the mileage limit?

I'm curious (again :D ) as warranties in the US are at a minimum, 3 years/36,000 miles, except for some super cars.

The heated seats are not standard with that trim level in Germany though :) right now it's very nice to have though.

400? is nice for very good winters, buying them through the dealer would be twice that :lmao:

Two years are quite typical for German cars, no mile limit, the Fox and Astra had two years as well. I don't really see uber-long warranty times as a big bonus, the usual warranty issues surface very quickly. I'd rather buy a well-built car with short warranty than a badly built car with long warranty ;)

Doesn't have parking sensors in the back, but that's just a matter of 40? and a not-so-cold afternoon :nod:

2 years warranty is common, some offer longer (like KIA) but they are voluntary warrantys and therefore require you to service the car at their dealers after the 2 year period or the warranty will be void.

I approve of your sensible purchase!
https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2010/01/15/seal-of-approval.jpg