Revisiting the past; buying my first car again.

The Probe :)blink:) is actually quite a surprisingly fun car, growing up I thought these looked really good when they were new. Shame about the FWD and the name though.

Last edited:
I recently moved and in my move I found a head gasket that I had purchased for my original 89 GT. So now all I need are head bolts. Going to get those soon.

Also got a wing from the junkyard.

I took the cylinder head off yesterday to replace the gasket and.found out there's no alignment dowel pins. There's also oil in the intake which I'm suspecting is the turbo on its way out because the compressor fins have chips and there's etching inside the chamber. What's also a mystery is that there was antifreeze leaking out the exhaust and white smoke which obviously means coolant is leaking the engine. that's why I wanted to.replace the gasket but there's no sign of the old gasket being bad our the head being cracked. there's also no sign of coolant on any of the exhaust ports.

if anyone has suggestions as to what could be the problem, I'm all ears. and if you know where I can find ford probe 2.2l cylinder head alignment dowels, I'm all ears as well cause nobody has them online and.junkyards around here only carry ten year old cars and up.

sorry my grammar is poor. I'm quick typing on my phone and the forums don't fit well on my screen.

Just finished up the head gasket repair today and fired it up for the first time.

A couple vids to show progress on my PP (Project Probe). :p

First time starting it after the repair:

Just a quick video showing the potential of the paint:
[video=youtube;9VbMtDe-8dU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VbMtDe-8dU[/video]

And finally, the car moving under it's own power after the repair.

Last edited:
I think your project is awesome! glad to hear its getting underway. :)

Thank you very much!

My plan is to work out a couple more bugs, then clean the engine bay and buff out the paint on the car then see where I stand. There is certainly more than a couple spots that could use paint and/or starting to rust.

I would love to find early Tri-Bar rims like the ones below.
img_13347425_01.jpg

Cool Thread!!! I love ford probes. They are just cool and fun.

Just a little Fun Fact, The Ford Probe was supposed to be the replacement for the Mustang, but too many enthusiasts wrote Ford complaining the Mustang had to be RWD and V8.

These cars have alot of potential, and sweet quality.

Just a little Fun Fact, The Ford Probe was supposed to be the replacement for the Mustang, but too many enthusiasts wrote Ford complaining the Mustang had to be RWD and V8.

Thats why the sn95 Mustangs and the fox bodies are so closely related. Springs fit from 1979 all the way to 2004. Seats from a 79 Mustang will bolt into a 04. And I've even seen full dash swaps from a sn95 new edge to a four eyed fox body. Ford had to rush a little bit with replacing the Probe as the Mustang heir.

Heck, I even had 05 GT rims mounted on my 97 GT. But I'm sure that's due more to corporate politicking than the Probe issue.

Another fun fact, a stock 1st Gen Probe GT will beat a stock Mustang GT of the same vintage.

Last edited:
Another fun fact, a stock 1st Gen Probe GT will beat a stock Mustang GT of the same vintage.

This is very true lol.

The '89 SHO Taurus Also beats the '89 Mustang GT 5.0 HO is a quarter mile lol

Just got the turbo and exhaust manifold off my donor motor. Cleaned it up a bit. Don't have time today to install it but will get it done soon.

UPDATES!!!!

Took the turbo and manifold off my donor motor and installed it.

Old turbo out, ready for other one. And a little bit of undercoating work on the rad support

The difference between a bad turbo and a good turbo.

All back together and running.

There was still a slight bit of white smoke coming out the exhaust but that seems to of cleared up now. I'm keeping an eye on it and if it holds then it's on to new brakes and exhaust.

^ That's really cool! Nice that you're documenting it as well :)

Woot! :D Congrats :)

Re: Revisiting the past; buying my first car again.

Thank you. I wouldnt mind seeing my gt vs your sho. Kind of a forgotten performance duo.

:p Hah, same. You'd probably win as I'm kinda a shitty shifter still. And agreed.