Revving the engine before shutting it down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXM

I paid for this title
I noticed the host of "Victory by design" does it all the time. What's the point? Lots of these cars are turbocharged, and It's better to leave engine running for a while to let turbine cool down, not revving it before turning off. Am I wrong?

I thought so too, when you watch Band of Brothers you'll hear it to when they stop the old land rover (the old trucks).

Well as MXM says there seems to be no logig with new engines and that is true. The revving the engine before stopping comes from the time of carburettors, when you wanted to leave some gas in there when shutting down so that the next time the engine is started it will not be dry.

I suppose people nowadays think it sounds cool or something?? dunno, but the reason above is why it used to be a good idea...

muumipeikko said:
Well as MXM says there seems to be no logig with new engines and that is true. The revving the engine before stopping comes from the time of carburettors, when you wanted to leave some gas in there when shutting down so that the next time the engine is started it will not be dry.

I suppose people nowadays think it sounds cool or something?? dunno, but the reason above is why it used to be a good idea...
It's like double-clutching. :p

The only other reason I can think of is if you have a really poor condition engine you sometimes get overrun caused by hot carbon desposites on the head of the engine, it basically ignites the petrol and keeps it running for a bit without a spark. One of my old cars did this all the time so I used to stop it by turning it off at high revs. But I wouldn't do it normal as was said before, especially with a turbo car as you run the risk of ruining the bearings from oil starvation.

I remember with Carb engines... you had to hold the throttle while starting the car so it is easier for it to start as there is more fuel. However if you let too much fuel in... you end up flooding it and makes it even harder to start. I guess revving it before shutting it down will let you start has the same concept as revving it to start

Re: Revving the engine before shutting it down?

MXM said:
I noticed the host of "Victory by design" does it all the time. What's the point? Lots of these cars are turbocharged, and It's better to leave engine running for a while to let turbine cool down, not revving it before turning off. Am I wrong?

You're right that turbocharged engines should NEVER been revved before shutdown but that's for another reason than cooling down: lubrication. If you shut down the engine, you shut down the oil pump, and the turbo will spin unlubricated, which is really, really bad.

I do it just to look cool. It doesn't cause damage to the engine. You're revving an unloaded engine, hence there isn't much load, and hence there isn't much damage, unless you're a complete pillock about it.

Also, i rev the engine to boost oil pressure right before i turn it off, just to give it a good thwack of oil to cool down with. Even if it doesn't do much, i still have to add that it sounds cool.

andyhui01 said:
Sir_dude said:
Was that really necessary?? Rolling Eyes

I think this was done when he was being a postwhore to get his name in every section of the post :lol:

nope, it was yesterday :mrgreen:

Its not really that necessary, instead its more of a...your in a parking lot surrounded by h0tness. You gotta show off teh blow-off valve. :D

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
If you like the sound of the engine, then you give it a bit of the "how do you do?" before you put it away.

I couldnt really say it better than that.

Please don't bump threads just to say pretty much "I agree". ;)

actually it is bad to rev the engine before shuttin down because u wanna keep the chamber free of the fuel as to save the engine oil...it also increases tiny particles inside the cylinder...you have to make the cylinders as clean as possible....revvin it makes it dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.