Ringmeet 2014: Tickets for the DTM race, with tourist drive lap discount

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
So... I've got some more info on DTM tickets, or better, on how to acquire them.

There's the N?rburgring website where you can order tickets together with discounted tickets for tourist drive laps on the Nordschleife (which is what I would want, they're nearly 25% off that way: ? 21 instead of ? 27 per lap).

So far, so good. But there's a problem, well, two actually, according to the person at the info hotline I spoke with:
  • You can't purchase tickets for a particular stand via the website - they just give you anything in the chosen category (I want "bronze" tickets as they are cheapest).
  • If you book discounted laps on top, they'll load up a single ring?card with the correct amount of laps and send it together with the ticket.
Both problems can be overcome by ordering via mail (-> security issues) or by phone (yeah good luck with that).

But if we want to get tickets for standing/sitting together, everyone ordering for himself is not really an option. And have one person order for everyone is a hassle, too, especially if several discounted ring?cards are involved (because we might want to drive simultaniously).

So... who would be up for a DTM visit on Sunday afternoon anyway? Maybe this dissolves into a non-issue. ;) The race will be held from 1:30 pm (start warm-up lap) on Sunday (complete timetable (pdf)).

They actually allocate you seats? Is it not just access to the specific grandstands/areas with no guarantee of getting a seat?

I would be interested in this if we get it as a group buy.

I'm interested in DTM- and tourist drive-laps, too.

AFAIR it's common practice to swipe the card and pass it to someone standing next to the gate (or even standing next to the gate and let two or three cars in a row through with it) anyway.

They actually allocate you seats? Is it not just access to the specific grandstands/areas with no guarantee of getting a seat?
That's what I understood. More importantly, it seems the tickets are for a particular stand. "Bronze" category consists of three seperate stands, though. It would be bollocks if one group of us were on T5 while others are on T10 or something like that.

Only T5 and T10 are seated; T12 is not and has therefore no allocated seats.

AFAIR it's common practice to swipe the card and pass it to someone standing next to the gate (or even standing next to the gate and let two or three cars in a row through with it) anyway.
Well, that's good to hear...

Count me in for DTM and part of the group discount on one card (we can take turns doing the swiping) to get cheaper laps.

yes DTM!!!!
where can i send money?!

Count me in for DTM too, I don't need the lap but if someone wants a discount lap along with my DTM ticket I suppose they can pay the extra (obviously we should make the most of the discount).

This is Germany remember, everyone must be organised and seated, nobody will be standing up and ruining it for everyone else. :D

Last edited:
If everybody is going to watch the DTM, I should go too, right? :p

Perhaps it would be best to just buy tickets when we are there, on Friday. The hotline just told me that it's possible to buy discounted lap tickets that way, too.

In any case, question for all: Who wants to see the DTM race? Especially: Adrian, are you in? The question of wheelchair access necessity depends on your answer. :D

Yes, i'd love to see DTM. And you can try pulling the wheelchair card to get us in one good place as a group.

Adrian, why haven't you and Levicopter got together to build you a hovering wheelchair yet? Chop chop.

I'd be quite interested to go have a look at the DTM, but am slightly concerned in regards to the timetable. The race ends at 1500 hours or so, and my flight leaves at 2030, meaning I'd want to be at FRA on 1930 at the latest, giving me four and a half hours from the chequered flag to having to be at the airport, which when you think about it, isn't a lot. I wouldn't expect the transit back to base camp to be anything less than an hour from race finish and the drive from VS to FRA is what, two to three hours? Factor in all the inefficiencies and general faffing about, that leaves me with essentially no time to lose, especially if there's any uncertainty with my ride to the airport.

On the other hand if it's possible to get a lift from the track straight to the plane stop, that'd give the necessary leeway for me to attend the race without having to sweat about these things.

There seems to be a misunderstanding on Matt2000's side at least: The discounted Nordschleife tickets are not limited to one per DTM ticket. We can just buy x DTM tickets plus y discounted tourist drive laps. :)

Adrian: Good idea. :D

But I am somewhat reluctant to organize a group buy on a several hundred Euro scale, to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

The race ends at 1500 hours or so, and my flight leaves at 2030, meaning I'd want to be at FRA on 1930 at the latest, giving me four and a half hours from the chequered flag to having to be at the airport, which when you think about it, isn't a lot.
Travel time from the Ring to FRA is less than two hours normally. I don't know about traffic at the Ring after the race, though. Going back to base camp would not be a sensible option, but without that, it should be easily doable if you leave right after the race. But I also understand if you deem the risk too high. What's you plan on getting to the airport anyway?

I can fork the ? if needed.

There seems to be a misunderstanding on Matt2000's side at least: The discounted Nordschleife tickets are not limited to one per DTM ticket. We can just buy x DTM tickets plus y discounted tourist drive laps. :)

Yep, my apologies. I thought it would be 1/1, but that's very generous of them.

I am keen, I just need to get back to Cologne after the even with my gear and whatnot. Actually I had no idea how I was getting home ... Lol probably need to figure that out!

Since we can buy DTM tickets on the Friday and I am cooking in the afternoon we simply get organised and down there on the Friday morning to buy tickets.

Anyone arriving on the Friday can let Thomas have their DTM/lap requirements and put the money into the Ringmeet account. Simples.

I would want to watch DTM (-qualifying and Porsche Carrera Cup etc.) on saturday. Sunday is sadly impossible...