Ringmeet 2018, because we're not finnished with this.

DanRoM;n3549873 said:
Just book the fucking flights already, hotels will be sorted one way or another.

Also, try booking the flights from another machine or at least browser (or clean out your cookies). Tickets might become more expensive for repeat visitors to the website.

Eye-Q;n3549874 said:
The thing is that hotel prices (at least in that region) don't go up, even if you book just a week in advance, as long as there are rooms available, while flight prices do go up as you know. There is enough choice in the vicinity so you don't have to worry about not getting a room somewhere close by so just book the flights already. ;)

Btw: paided!

[edit]
Ninja'd! :ninja:
[/edit]

Ummm yeah... no. Its not just the hotel price thats the worry, its both price and availability. I'm not going to book a flight betting that I will get a 30 Euro/night room 200m away from the campsite only to find out that I'm stuck with a 200 Euro/night room 5km from the camp site. Thats a rather big game changer when planning and budgeting a vacation....

Listen up, Mr Fedewhatever, if I were you I would just book the flights before you get priced out of the whole trip. You're dealing with the FinalGear Ringmeet Hive Mind. If you arrive with nowhere to sleep there will be enough people with spare tents, air mattresses and sleeping bags to ensure you aren't sleeping rough in a doorway. I know you would prefer creature comforts but worst case scenario the group will take care of you because that's what it does. A few years ago my attendance was in jeopardy because of how much I got screwed in my divorce settlement but enough attendees were willing to pay an extra buck or two each to ensure I could attend and I will never forget that generosity.

Suggest you PM Dr Grip and Macguffin - they know the management at Faltin and Weihs respectively and may be able to chase them up on your behalf. Ditto thomas for Im Wurstkessel.

Ringmeet is a truly awesome experience and I for one would be stoked to meet you and see you there.

I sent a message yesterday to Faltin, if I don't get a reply in the next few days I might need Ze Germans help as well.

Any UKanian lurkers thinking of coming this year? Must be able to travel light, I'll have a spare seat in the Roadster but that really will be about it. :lol:

CrzRsn;n3549877 said:
Ummm yeah... no. Its not just the hotel price thats the worry, its both price and availability. I'm not going to book a flight betting that I will get a 30 Euro/night room 200m away from the campsite only to find out that I'm stuck with a 200 Euro/night room 5km from the camp site. Thats a rather big game changer when planning and budgeting a vacation....

Just book. I'm sure camping stuff can be arranged. At the very least buying all the camping stuff will cost what a hotel costs.

I can provide you a tent for example. Seriously, don't worry!

PM me your name and how long you plan to stay and I’ll try to call Weihs later. I know it sucks but believe me: waiting for a reply from them is normal. I’m going through that every single year.

Even if they’re booked out (which I doubt because they aren’t listed in any online booking portal), there’s always some room in the vicinity. This is the Eifel, not Mallorca ?

And book your flight already!

I sent a message yesterday to Faltin, if I don't get a reply in the next few days I might need Ze Germans help as well.

You, too. PM me your name and from when to when you wanna stay and I’ll give them a call.

What the others said.
You either camp (there will be enough to lend you. Don't worry.) or just go directly. In the 2014 Ringmeet I decided to sleep in a hotel on the second night and there were rooms available in the same place Dr_Grip was staying (Weihs?).
It's not far, it was like a 15 minutes walk from the campsite.
RINGMEET FINDS A WAY
BOOK THE FLIGHTS ALREADY

You're welcome :)

Flight booked you bastards.
Arriving at FRA around 10am on Thursday. Still need to figure out if I'm going to get a rental car or take the train. My return flight leaves at 9:30am on Monday, and the earliest train arrives at the airport at 7:33am, but I don't know if I want to wake up that early.

But in all seriousness big thanks to MacGuffin for reaching out to the hotel on my behalf and helping getting some issues there sorted out. Turns out they did reply to me and I just never got the email. Hopefully with his help we'll be able to sort this out quickly.

thomas I'll send you some paypal monies when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Great work, MacGuffin!

CrzRsn: Damn, that's early. That train ride is a close call (arriving at the train station only 2 hours before your flight departure time). Going by car doesn't help you with the early rising at all, because you'd need to leave at 4:30 am or so, too, but it gives you a little room.

DanRoM;n3549943 said:
CrzRsn: Damn, that's early. That train ride is a close call (arriving at the train station only 2 hours before your flight departure time). Going by car doesn't help you with the early rising at all, because you'd need to leave at 4:30 am or so, too, but it gives you a little room.

Don't mind the early wake up/departure. I'd be looking at the first train of the day based on the timetables

HwtIfZ1.png

From what I remember of FRA last time I was there (around 2009) and what I'm reading online is that 2 hours should be fine. But thats if the train is not late. And is that a risk I want to take? https://www.zugfinder.de/zuginfo.php?zugnr=ICE_525

Probably not. I'll likely end up renting a car.

It might make more sense to get a room for a night in or around Frankfurt before the return flight. Your inner clock will be confused enough already with just three days in another timezone. ;)

Eye-Q;n3549946 said:
It might make more sense to get a room for a night in or around Frankfurt before the return flight. Your inner clock will be confused enough already with just three days in another timezone. ;)

I was just thinking that actually. Take an afternoon train on Sunday when all the festivities end, explore Frankfurt a bit, sleep at an airport hotel (or very close to), no need to wake up before sunrise and hurry my ass off.

I usually have no issues adapting to time zones when I travel, so I'm not too worried about that aspect, but something to think about.

I would agree with Eye Q and suggest leaving late afternoon on the Sunday and getting a train to Frankfurt but it's up to you of course. You will know your body and sleep patterns better than anyone else.

Speaking of Frankfurt a.M. if anyone is coming from that area and has space could I please request that you procure a case (12 x 1L as I recall) of Frankfurter Apfelwein. I am happy to cover the whole cost but be willing to share and have a craving for ein Sauer gespritzt (oder funf!)

CrzRsn;n3549949 said:
I was just thinking that actually. Take an afternoon train on Sunday when all the festivities end, explore Frankfurt a bit, sleep at an airport hotel (or very close to), no need to wake up before sunrise and hurry my ass off.

I usually have no issues adapting to time zones when I travel, so I'm not too worried about that aspect, but something to think about.

Arriving at Frankfurt Airport Fernbahnhof 2h before your flight is fine, you'll be at baggage drop in about ten minutes... even for carry-on only you don't want to arrive much later in case there's lines at either security or secondary customs/border screening if you're flying back to the US... no idea how that works for furr'ners. For inner-Schengen carry-on one hour would be fine.

Exploring Frankfurt... meh. On the plus side, leaving Sunday afternoon will probably let you hitch a ride with someone - possibly even me, but I can't guarantee that yet. I'm trying to schedule work in Frankfurt the week after Ringmeet, will know in a few weeks.

Last edited:
narf;n3549957 said:
For inner-Schengen carry-on one hour would be fine.

For what its worth I’m flying with carryon only and I have a stop in Prauge on my way back (inbound is direct). I am debating checking a bag on my way in to be able to bring some of my favorite beer with me to share.

narf;n3549957 said:
Exploring Frankfurt... meh. On the plus side, leaving Sunday afternoon will probably let you hitch a ride with someone - possibly even me, but I can't guarantee that yet. I'm trying to schedule work in Frankfurt the week after Ringmeet, will know in a few weeks.

Awesome! Would be much appreciated!