Ripping, Uploading, Torrents

That makes no sense. SBS does broadcast in 576p @ 25 fps, which is basically PAL, 720 pixels wide x 576 pixels high, which is 4:3 aspect ratio. TG is broadcast in 16:9, which is either PAL cropped, or 576p anamorphic, in either case nowhere near HD (1080i broadcast) quality.

720*576 is not 4:3, 720 * .75 = 540. It's just the resolution used by PAL, and the stretch or squash the pixels for the desired aspect ratio.

Yes, SBS HD is not actually HD. In the (now badly cliched) words of TGA, what were they thinking?

my rip is 700~mb, its fairly good quality. i need to tweak with it a little bit though, as thats probably too big

would people prefer quality or small file size?

my rip is 700~mb, its fairly good quality. i need to tweak with it a little bit though, as thats probably too big

would people prefer quality or small file size?

YES PLEASE!!!!!!! I am really sick of seeing 700mb rips!! I like to burn a whole season off on DVD (4.7GB) and the 700mb rips are too big for that. 425mb max I say and the quality on those files is fine. I'm actually happy with 350mb files but will be quite happy with the 425mb ones.

It is getting very difficult to find the later eppisodes (Top Gear UK) in a file size under 700mb.

Ok I'll get off my soap box now...

I think the 576p on SBS HD was just upconverted 576i - SBS' equipment in that department isn't great & when they upconvert to 576p you'll often see significant jaggies. Most of the time, you're actually better off doing the upconversion (& upscaling) yourself. Here's a screen grab from the studio at full resolution - look at the diagonal lines of Warren's coat:

http://img171.imageshack.**/img171/4493/topgearaustraliasbshd29mu0.jpg

There is no upconverting when it comes to i vs p. You only need to deinterlace. And if that's a screenshot of the p version, it's a really crap job at deinterlacing.

There is no upconverting when it comes to i vs p. You only need to deinterlace.

Sorry, poor choice of words.

And if that's a screenshot of the p version, it's a really crap job at deinterlacing.

It is & it is. :( That's SBS for you.

The ABC here uses 720p for their HD channel & their deinterlace & upscale is actually very good. Our full commercial channels are a mixed bag - channel 9 uses 1440x1080i anamorphic (& deinterlaces & upscales well), channel 10 uses 1920x1080i & does a good job, & channel 7 uses 1920x1080i & their quality (both native material & deinterlaced/upscaled) is awful.

A single standard would be nice. H264 would be nicer (it's all MPEG2).