Road trip to Sweden - Question for Swedes

_dexter_

Car(s)
Lolvo V40
My question is quite simple.. Three m8s and I are going on a road trip to Stockholm this winter. From 2nd to 8th January, to be precise. We'll travel with 2006 Toyota RAV4 D4D equipped with Michelin Latitude tour HP tires.. Now, the question is: Will we survive? Considering tires, of course.. :?

Thank you all in advance :)

Last edited:
Use caution and you'll be fine, There is actually no snow in .se at the moment..

According to Michelin.se those are summer tires. In Sweden it is mandatory to use winter tires between 1.12. and 31.3. and that applies to foreing vechiles too. So in short, you'll get fined by police if you are stopped. Also, if it has snowed or the temperature is below -5 celsius, you'll end up in ditch.

How well do they grit the roads in Sweden?

Yeah, if they are summer-tires just don't. Come in the summer or fly/take the train instead!

How well do they grit the roads in Sweden?

Outside cities: Not really...

Last edited:
According to Michelin.se those are summer tires. In Sweden it is mandatory to use winter tires between 1.12. and 31.3. and that applies to foreing vechiles too. So in short, you'll get fined by police if you are stopped. Also, if it has snowed or the temperature is below -5 celsius, you'll end up in ditch.

Actually they are all season tires and they are M+S rated.. At least it's written on them.. As I figure it, that should be considered legal.. Or not? :(
Last winter they proved just fine here in Croatia and Slovenia, but I don't know which conditions I can expect up north..

Last edited:
M+S might make them legal, but certainly the text written to the tire doesn't change it's behavior.

I have no idea what makes a tyre to be a winter tyre by law in Sweden, but I know that those Michelins are marketed as summer tires in the nordic countries.

I suspect that the worst problem with those tires would be the compound getting too hard in temperatures below -5 celcius, making them dangerous even on pure tramac. Also the grip on snow covered roads would be next to nonexsistent. A very experienced winter driver would be able to handle the car with summer tyres on those conditions, but I would not still recommend driving with them.

Spot the difference:
mi_latitude_tour_hp_ci1_l.jpg
michelin_x-ice.jpg

Michelin Latitude tour HP .................... Michelin X-Ice (aka. tire that is marketed as a winter tire in the Nordic)

Last edited:
You can also tell their summer-ness from the lack of the small wavey slits that are omnipresent in the X-ICE. Snow is captured by those, as a result your friction is snow on snow instead of rubber on snow. Rubber on snow is, well, rubbish.

The M+S designation is not well-regulated, the EU is planning to do that soon. In the meantime, look for the snowflake on a mountain symbol.

Last edited:
All-season: suitable for all seasons one might experience in summer. Winter tires are a different thing completely.

I understand. Problem is I don't really have much choice.. My focus is equipped with proper winter tires but is way too uncomfortable, loud and has poor mileage per galon.. Other option is 1 series with winter tires.. But I wouldn't dare to take a rwd car to sweden..
How severe can weather actually get? Before those michelins we had OEM yokohamas geolandar G91A which are practically the same tires.. With them I drove through some serious snow and ice on a mountain climb + instead of proper tarmac there were rock cubes (the road was wery old..) Nor DSC, nor ABS was engaged even once..
I know that this sounds like I'm trying to console myself, but it ain't so.. I'm just giving some facts ;)

Proper good winter tires are more important than any other thing. 4WD is not worth much without them on snowy and icy roads.

Why the heck are you going on a road trip to Scandinavia in the winter anyway?

There are loads of flights from Zagreb to Stockholm for under 300? with one stop. Five to eight hours instead of 24 with clear weather, 48+ in proper winter.
You'd pay about the same for four plane tickets, assuming 0.25?/km cost for driving. I'd guess the actual cost is higher per kilometre though, so flying might even be cheaper.

...for 322? per person you could fly via Vienna, taking 5h to get there and 4h to get back. Unless the drive itself is the point of the trip, this option sounds MUCH better.

Last edited:
M+S might make them legal, but certainly the text written to the tire doesn't change it's behavior.

I have no idea what makes a tyre to be a winter tyre by law in Sweden, but I know that those Michelins are marketed as summer tires in the nordic countries.

The law is pretty vague, defining winter tires as "tires specifically designed for winter". One might think that tires marked M+S fulfills this condition, they do not, they must be specifically designed for winter and marked M+S. Luckily for us there's a lazy dog (?) from STRO listing all tires that are approved, and the Latitude Tour is not among them.

If you're driving to Stockholm from the continent you're going via the E4, I doubt you'll be seeing much snow even in "normal winter", the E-roads are priority roads and usually clear of snow if there's a mild winter like it seems to be. On the other hand if it turns into last years (2009/10/2010/11) winter no amount of salt or plowing is going to help, it'll be too cold. Running into the police is also a rather unlikely event. My guess is that you would probably make it to Stockholm without incident, but you could also end up in a ditch, which has a tendency to attract the police, who would then point his finger at your tires, then back at you, then back at the tires, before getting his little notebook out.

Flying is more comfortable than spending hour upon hour on looking at trees. On the other hand if real winter comes, then it'll be less dreary because of all the beautiful snowy trees, and very exciting on summer tires. All that excitement may be tiresome after a while.

I like when there's plenty of snow or no snow. Last year was nice in that aspect.

Last edited:
The packed down snow is MUCH easier to drive on than the shit we get here because here they melt it all but then it refreezes. I freaking hate that.