rover 100 knocking

petespug

hi guys wondered if u could help me my mum has a rover 100 and lately the suspension has been making a knocking sound when the car goes over a bump or makes a sudden change of direction it has that hydro gas suspension crap any ideas

by knocking do you mean real knocking sound or is it really sqeaky sound?... Knocking is usually when your absorbers are screwed and and needs to be replaced.... and if its a sqeaky sound, its usually your driveshaft...

its knocking it has hydro gas suspension there is no mcpherson strut

hmm... I've never come across any Hydro Gas suspension before so I'm not very familiar with that, if it was macpherson strut, that would definetly be the problem

a friend of me had the same problem on his golf.
the holes where his suspension was bolt to the chassis, were completely rust, and about 2 times the size. so if he drove over a bump or took a corner to sharp, the spring jumped to the other side of the hole, resulting in a nice slide and finding yourself looking the other way (only happened ones, the other times he could save it)

i think rover 100/metro has no normal suspension, and it breaks quick!

my suggestion is to change the whole suspension or get another car

non rover 100 lol

can you describe the noise a bit more, is it only a slight bump or small direction change?

and is constant knocking or only when you hit a bump or go a different direction?

it might be something as simple as worn bushes, have you checked all your wheel nuts, make sure your good and tight.

I don't think the hydro gas suspension is to bad as long as you don't play around with it and think you can do a quick suspension drop for sportier handling (my mate tried this and ended up with a lop sided car ;) )

its a small knocking with sudden change of direction or a bump in the road it get worse ever day

Take it to a small garage, just to see what it is, and ask for a budget. That way they tell you if it's dangerous, only annoying, easily fixable, or whatever.

petespug said:
its a small knocking with sudden change of direction or a bump in the road it get worse ever day

Could be the exhaust that's banging against something under the car, you may need to change it, fasten it better or maybe some small adjustments with a rubber hammer is all.

tloekke said:
petespug said:

Could be the exhaust that's banging against something under the car, you may need to change it, fasten it better or maybe some small adjustments with a rubber hammer is all.

I'd agree with that diagnosis, seeing it a rover, make sure it not something stupid like a rusty inner wing.

But take it to a garage if you concerned, it may well be something a little more serious.

i think you should take it to a garage explain what the noise is you hear he will be able to figure it out better than any of us maybe your mum should get a better car you could do a quick look under the car to check if there is anything about to go catastrophically wrong

MY GOD! How the fuck do you type like that man? I had to go back and edit that "paragraph" (if you could call it that) 5 or 6 times to get it even remotely looking like the way you type.

If Andy gets his own thread to clean up his posts, this guy should get his own board.