Autoblog: Rumormill: Porsche working on 580-hp GT2 RS

ahpadt

Forum Addict
p07_0783_a5_580op.jpg

The blokes at Pistonheads supposedly got word from an inside source at Porsche that the automaker is considering a track-day version of the GT2. The hypothetical Porsche 911 GT2 RS would improve on every aspect of the standard turbocharged rear-wheel-drive coupe, beginning with an additional 50 ponies, bringing output up to 580 hp. Center-locking wheels are rumored to be part of the package, along with Plexiglas rear windows and a range of body modifications that could drop some 440 pounds from the standard GT2's curb weight. The UK-centric site reports that ten right-hand-drive examples will be produced, although it doesn't say what total global output would be. If the GT2 RS does come to fruition, expect it to debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show later this year, with sales beginning the following spring.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/30/rumormill-porsche-working-on-580-hp-gt2-rs/

Oh My God!!

DO.WANT.

:w00t:

Too mad for anyone except racing drivers. Too much power. I'll pass.

I mean... 580bhp with RWD and engine at the rear? It's going to be too tough to control unless you have the reactions and the skill of a racing driver. Don't get me wrong, I like 911s, but this one has too much power for the good of its potential owners.

This will be a lot like the first Turbo, light, insane power and it will kill a lot of unexperienced drivers. Actually, I am too much of a pussy to want one. One GT3 please.

I'd have one, I wonder if they're getting close to Carrera GT laptimes with these new 911's ?

I'm waiting for the top gear episode comparing this and the GTR spec V. If that ever happens.

The fact that it's lighter is ridiculous, if what they say is correct then this GT2 will weigh about 2700 lbs. So with 580hp and 2700lbs, it's like a Pagani Zonda F. :bow:

Well done porsche , another new name to confuse us.

So what we want now is:

911 Turbo RS
(AWD track car with Twin Turbo)
911 Turbo Convertible RS (Convertible AWD track car with Twin Turbo)
911 Targa RS ( AWD track car with NA engine and a glass roof)
Cayman GT3 RS (Lighter version of the Cayman GT3)
Cayman GT3 ( 2WD Mid mounter NA engine Track Car)
Cayman GT2 ( 2WD Mid mounter Turbo engine Track Car)
Cayman GT2 RS ( ligter version of the GT2)
Cayman Targa(2WD Mid mounter NA engine convertible)
Cayman Targa RS(2WD Mid mounted NA engine with a glass roof)
Boxter 4S (4WD with mid mounted NA engine convertible)
911 Carrera 4 RS ( AWD track car with NA engine)
911 Convertible RS (Convertible AWD track car with NA engine)

I could go on for all day ( at least 6 More)......

Last edited:
The fact that it's lighter is ridiculous, if what they say is correct then this GT2 will weigh about 2700 lbs. So with 580hp and 2700lbs, it's like a Pagani Zonda F. :bow:

2700 Lbs. with 580HP RWD rear-engined is ludicrous.

Jeremy's review would probably be as bad as the regular GT2, because he won't be able to control it. :D

This is great news from Zuffenhausen! Do. Want. Badly.

1230kg... that's 472hp/tonne, quite insane

Oh, and with the engine behind the rear axle, a huge spoiler behind the rear axle, and 580 horsepowers... this thing will probably be doing wheelies all day!

I don't see the problem here... EVO drove a 600+ hp GT2 very recently, according to them it was no "scary" monster, even less than the standard car in fact. It was also previously proven by EVO that the GT2 does not live up to its "Widowmaker" reputation/image/perception.

In fact the 993 GT2 is the only one of the three they have built that does. That was a lightly disguised racecar, and made apologies for it. The 996 GT2 was much softer and more like a powered up, lightened rwd Turbo. That had a lot of understeer adjusted into it by Porsche to tame the oversteering tendency, but it would come abruptly as a result of that. The 997 GT2 is completely different to the two others in that it's more like a GT3 with a turbo engine, put short a much nicer drive. This of course is according to EVO who have driven all of them.

I like the styling even though I'm not a big fan of the car. As far as driveability..... well I will have to reserve my judgement till I see a review or someone who really wants me dead lets me drive one. I personally always thought that anything with more than 300whp should have AWD to really be able to use the power.

I personally always thought that anything with more than 300whp should have AWD to really be able to use the power.

drivability is a function of torque delivery not BHP

Wow, if that's true that'll be an insane machine - perhaps a return to the previous GT2's widow-maker moniker?

My god this sounds terrifying, in the best possible way. The current GT2 is by all account simply ridiculously fast. However if they are going to go this route I really hope they go all out, not so much the power but with the lightness.

could be the most mental car in a fair few years.

You know, if I bought a Porsche, I'd buy a GT2... but for $200,000 (and this one costing much more probably) I can't say I'd have it over a used/new F430.