Rumour: Next gen 86 twins to get FA24 motor

prizrak

Forum Addict
Car(s)
11 Xterra Pro-4x, 12 'stang GT
The Drive said:
n the day the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 dropped, enthusiasts have demanded one modification: more power. While people exalted the platform’s dynamics and affordability, every review, online forum, and gas station parking lot was littered with complaints that the cars were criminally underpowered. That could change with the next generation if reports out of Japan are to be believed.

Japan’s Best Car says that the already confirmed next-generation of the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 will drop the 2.0-liter naturally aspirated 4-cylinder boxer engine (FA20) for Subaru’s new 2.4-liter engine (FA24) plucked from the Ascent SUV. Though the Ascent debuted with a turbocharged version of the 2.4-liter four, Best Car doesn’t specify if the Toyobaru twins will get the same forced induction.

Using a little soothsaying, we’re inclined to believe that the enthusiast cars will come sans turbo. The first use of the FA20 was a turbocharged version in the current-generation Subaru WRX. Both Subaru and Toyota then removed the turbocharger and plopped it into the sports cars. This seems like the most likely scenario for the forthcoming second act.

The current Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 both produce around 205 horsepower. While the Subaru Ascent’s FA24, with the turbocharger, produces 260 horsepower. Given the forced induction, The Drive believes that if the companies do go the FA24 route, each will get around 220-230 horsepower. It’s not the bump most were hoping for as many would rather see the car’s oomph start with a three, but nor is it too little of an increase.

The theory of Subaru and Toyota using the FA24 is one that tracks with other recent reports. Two months ago, The Drive reported that both the next-generation WRX STI would be dropping the haggard EJ25 motor to exclusively use the new FA24. Though when we reached out to Subaru for comment on that reporting, we received a straightforward, “We cannot comment on future products” response.

The same is true with the current report about the Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86 with the company line being, “We aren’t able to comment on future product.”

As for when we’ll see the next-generation Subaru BRZ and Toyota 86, it could be as soon as the Tokyo Motor Show which starts next week. If Subaru or Toyota does debut the follow-ups to one of the most beloved enthusiast cars of the last decade, we’ll be sure to bring you all the news. But what do you think? Would you accept a new Toyobaru twin with another naturally aspirated engine? Or do you need forced induction?

Sound off in the comments below.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/29938...re-horsepower-with-subaru-ascent-motor-report

I for one think that a 20-30 hp bump would be a nice bump, especially if they get rid of the much hated torque dip. If the weight is kept as low as it is, should make it for a quick little thing.

When I tried the BRZ, I loved the instantaneous engine response, but the lack of power was definitely there.

If they manage to bump the power without adding forced induction (and the drawbacks that would bring), I'm all for it.

20 bhp...i'll probably be 50 kg heavier, negating the effect

I still think 200 hp is enough in that car, the torque dip is debatable. I personally didn't really feel that much.

I think if it were a Toyota sourced inline four, it would be a much, much better car (see the 2.4 out of the US-american Corolla). But it being a joint venture with Subaru of course it has to have a god damn flat four which just makes everything harder and hardly anything better.

But a 2.4 liter flat four would definitely be a step in the right direction.
I also still think a turbocharged STi version for... idk, maybe 10-13k? more would still sell quite good. It would maybe be the S16 some people want Nissan to produce.

I don’t disagree that 200 is not bad for what the car is meant to be.

Flat 4 does help with a lower cog so there is that. As far as turbo goes, I think it would go against the ethos of the car but a supercharger with linear power delivery might fit well.

Yeah, lower cog for sure but... let's be honest, I'd rather have a 0,5% higher cog and rather have better service-ability and a bullet proof Toyota 4cyl than the Subaru flat four. :)

I'd see the STi turbocharged version as a second, higher tier version. I think this kind of car should always (as long as it's possible) stay naturally aspirated.