Saab

Tzarrim

I know it sounds pretentious but I have this weird feeling that if TG would have made that Saab bit 2 years ago they'd still be around now, making niche cars for people who care for what they have to offer. All they needed was some proper marketing other than "it's a plane lol", showcasing what they ACTUALLY were; a really well built car for people who liked things a bit differently.

That segment really made me feel sad.

Top Gear isn't that influential.

If anything, past experience suggests TG praising something makes it an even bigger failure.

I know it sounds pretentious but I have this weird feeling that if TG would have made that Saab bit 2 years ago they'd still be around now, making niche cars for people who care for what they have to offer. All they needed was some proper marketing other than "it's a plane lol", showcasing what they ACTUALLY were; a really well built car for people who liked things a bit differently.

That segment really made me feel sad.

You are conveniently forgetting their many ongoing bonehead design decisions, which is what most of the buying public remembered. TG didn't - they did cover it. Example: "We're going to custom-design a pointlessly unique navigation system because we don't like the one our corporate parent uses!" I'm told it doesn't even work very well; they would have been better off ringing Pioneer or Alpine (who make what I'd say is the majority of the best OEM nav systems) and asking them for one.

As for the marketing campaigns, they did actually try something that wasn't just "LOL jets" in the US (which is where the majority of Saabs were sold for many, many years, IIRC):

[video=youtube;-5uIQQT7-nA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uIQQT7-nA[/video]

(There was another one that had the AeroX in a brief cameo shot, but I can't find it.)

It didn't help in the long run; the product just wasn't up to the promises.

They also did stupid things like promote something like this:

[video=youtube;xJd-pZSO_sA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJd-pZSO_sA[/video]

And then decided not to make it.

Also, let's not forget: backwards Triumph engines, cars held together by uncommon fasteners (hope you have a Torx driver AND socket set if you want to own one) and spotty-at-best reliability. Buyers sure didn't.

If you want quirky cars, that's what Subaru does as well - and Subarus are far more reliable. In fact, around here I've observed many former Saab owners jumping ship to Subaru.

What might, possibly, conceivably have saved them would have been building the AeroX to draw people back into the showrooms. But they didn't. They decided they didn't need something to draw people into the showroom and they got what they deserved for their timidity.

Last edited:
As for the marketing campaigns, they did actually try something that wasn't just "LOL jets" in the US (which is where the majority of Saabs were sold for many, many years, IIRC):

I never even knew about the "LOL jets" ads until I saw them on Top Gear a few years back. The ones you linked sum up my recollection of Saab advertising.

I never even knew about the "LOL jets" ads until I saw them on Top Gear a few years back. The ones you linked sum up my recollection of Saab advertising.

We did get some of them, but they were the distinct minority of Saab marketing in the US.

On the other hand, the "LOL Jets" ads we got actually were kinda cool and did actually leverage "aviation heritage" fairly well. See for yourself, samples below:

At least they give some reasoning to it other than "Hey, look, an airplane with the same name! Buy our car!"

Last edited:
Only making one good car in the history, probably nothing that could save it.

Only making one good car in the history, probably nothing that could save it.

But they didn't actually build the 9-2X. :p

Top Gear isn't that influential.
If anything, past experience suggests TG praising something makes it an even bigger failure.

Don't tell Little Chef that... I think they're counting on it!

Feb 20: Little Chef (The Official Page)
The Top Gear crew stopped off for lunch at our Wisley new concept restaurant over the weekend.

Feb 26: Little Chef (The Official Page)
Are you watching Top Gear? Jeremy Clarkson just described our casserole as, "the second nicest thing I've ever put in my mouth"...Thanks Jeremy!

Mar 1: Little Chef (The Official Page)
From this Friday, we're adding our 'famous' Chicken, Ham & Leek Hot Pot to our Dine for ?5 menu as mentioned by Top Gear's Jeremy & Richard! (While stocks last)

I have to admit that I went into a Little Chef for the first time in about ten years recently, they're actually quite good now!

That segment was good, but, I thought they would race a saab against a plane because ''the last time we did that, the plane was in the air, and that is just not fair'' (or something like that).

So now I'm wondering what that plane thing in the trailer was all about.

Last edited:
On top of everything, Saabs weren't cheap. They were asking Lexus or Infiniti-level prices around here for cars that were, as Spectre said, Subaru at best and behind the times at worst. I only got mine because it had a history of servicing and upgrades, and, more importantly, was really frigging cheap thanks to depreciation. Having a large local network of Saab mechanics helps. Even though I really like my Saab, I can't encourage anyone else to buy one unless they're in an optimal situation like mine.

On top of everything, Saabs weren't cheap. They were asking Lexus or Infiniti-level prices around here for cars that were, as Spectre said, Subaru at best and behind the times at worst. I only got mine because it had a history of servicing and upgrades, and, more importantly, was really frigging cheap thanks to depreciation. Having a large local network of Saab mechanics helps. Even though I really like my Saab, I can't encourage anyone else to buy one unless they're in an optimal situation like mine.

like lancias, owners love them, but wouldn't actually recommend them to a friend

You pretty much described my Disco. :p Except any shop can work on it as it is as complicated as a brick.

Just thought of another thing: what was the best thing they said about any new Saab? That it was "different" and "safe"? These aren't things that sell cars nowadays, or more specifically, sell them in high enough volumes in Saab's target market to make the company viable. The vast majority of their praise was heaped on a car from 30 years ago, the 99 Turbo. It was a nice historical documentary, but implying that it had potential to save the company is as generous as saying that "Clash of the Titans 3D" would've saved the Greek economy if it was aired a few years earlier.

Just thought of another thing: what was the best thing they said about any new Saab? That it was "different" and "safe"? These aren't things that sell cars nowadays, or more specifically, sell them in high enough volumes in Saab's target market to make the company viable.

To be honest: Most of Saab's reputation in recent years came from the past (read: the old Turbo days). Now, my experience with Saabs is limited. I've driven the 2007/8 9-3 estate with the big diesel-engine (180hp IIRC) and (briefly and only on a track) the Turbo X. While I found both to be good cars (the Turbo X especially :eek:), they weren't *really* special. And both seemed quite expensive and didn't really show it on the inside (granted: I didn't crash them :D).

OTOH: I still remember the 99 and the 900 from my youth, and back then, those *were* different from any other car on the market. At least in my mind. They were the kind of cars that aren't for everybody, but if they appealed to you, nothing else would do. I never felt that way about any of the new models. When they announced their intention to build an SUV, I thought that might save the company. Saab and SUVs seemed like a good fit, just like with Volvo. I guess if Saab had entered that market a few years earlier and with a halfway "unique" product (like Volvo did), they might still be around today.

S.

Last edited:
BMW has also said they once again want to bring back Triumph. They haven't had that many brands since they owned Rover.

BMW/Saab would be a much better fit than GM/Saab. IMO at least.

S.