Safe, fun to drive small car?

DTMracer

Car(s)
1988 Mini Cooper, 1998 MB E55 AMG
Hey guys:

I am currently consider buying a Mazda 3, as my Jazz got written off buy a tradesman at an intersection (I'm surprised that my partner and I are still on this earth, as her side took the brunt of it before the car was spun around and my side of the car smashed up against a sign post).

Anyone got some advice on a good small city runabout for 20,000AUD ish? My partner's now hoping that we should get something with side airbags, and since I haven't really kept up with small car news (was too obsessed with securing an Evo X, but that's gone up in smoke now) I'm not very aware of what is available at this sort of price range.

As somebody said before, the Mazda 2 is also quiet tempting, and does anyone know when will the new Fiesta land in australia?

Why bother with the Fiesta when you can get a car with a better badge and similar looks?

I'd like to suggest the Fiat Punto

5 star Safety Rating
Fun to drive
Looks great
Meets the budget (appx)
And they've been in Aus for little over a year and I haven't heard any "Oh noes the reliabilty made my punto blow up' stories, so it's all quite good.

most small cars you can spec with side-airbags now, the new Corsa is good, avoid the small petrol engines and go for the SRi (if they sell it there) or the VXR (again, if they sell it there) and that's a 5 star car according to EuroNCAP.

EDIT: Oh I found out they don't sell the Corsa in Oz (which I'm guessing is where you live) instead Holden sell a re-badged Daewoo :|

Last edited:
most small cars you can spec with side-airbags now, the new Corsa is good, avoid the small petrol engines and go for the SRi (if they sell it there) or the VXR (again, if they sell it there) and that's a 5 star car according to EuroNCAP.

Our corsa is a korean import (Barina) and is hopeless

Our VXR is way over the 20k budget, but then, the standard astra is too nowadays.

I don't think I have ever called my girlfriends or "lady friends" or "fuck buddy" partner just sounds gay. Its like saying were engaged to be married by saying we have impending marital vows.

On topic buy something used buying new is like throwing away money in depreciation. The most appealing thing about a used car is the ability to get something a little off center. Besides whats the chance of getting another side impact probably be a head on this time.

I don't think I have ever called my girlfriends or "lady friends" or "fuck buddy" partner just sounds gay. Its like saying were engaged to be married by saying we have impending marital vows.

Well that is obviously because 'partner' is used in the US extensively to describe either a gay or lesbian's counterpart. But, that doesn't mean it is used everywhere else that way....:rolleyes:

On topic buy something used buying new is like throwing away money in depreciation. The most appealing thing about a used car is the ability to get something a little off center. Besides whats the chance of getting another side impact probably be a head on this time.

"Partner" makes it seem like such a business arrangement to me, but to each his own.

erm...

Well that is obviously because 'partner' is used in the US extensively to describe either a gay or lesbian's counterpart. But, that doesn't mean it is used everywhere else that way....:rolleyes:

Pretty much what this guy said ^.

5 star Safety Rating
Fun to drive
Looks great
Meets the budget (appx)
And they've been in Aus for little over a year and I haven't heard any "Oh noes the reliabilty made my punto blow up' stories, so it's all quite good.

my parents had one as a rental car in Europe and they didn't like it (well more that dad thought it was over-rated I think)

I'd champion the mazda 2 for you, aunt has one and it's fantastic for a small car

No, I'm not gay or Lesbian......Fine, I'll use girlfriend from now on in this forum. Its just that my girlfriend usually refers to me as her partner, so that's how it sort of stuck.

Anyway, what does this have to do with a safe, small fun to drive car? :|

I have been looking at some used cars, but don't really want to go with anything too old. My biggest worry about buying a used sports car is that they were probably thrashed by their previous owner, and it'd be quiet expensive to get somebody for a full inspection everytime I go look at a potential car.

Mazdas have been on my mind quiet a bit. I quiet dig the new Mazda 2, and the MX5 would certainly be a viable 2nd hand alternative. How are the MX5s on fuel anyway? Most people I know who have one already modified the bejesus out of theirs (One guy has swapped a rotary into his), so their ownership experience is kinda irrelevant to me.

As somebody said before, the Mazda 2 is also quiet tempting, and does anyone know when will the new Fiesta land in australia?

Just bringing my post over here...

That would absolutely be my pick. In fact I'm considering one myself. If the budget's got some flexibility, the Suzuki Swift Sport & Fiesta XR4 are definitely worth a look.

Last edited:
I'd love to turn a Mazda 2 into a Targa car when I'm done with it...

Ford Focus? (basic LX with the safety pack is $21590, probly could get that for nearer $20K plus onroads)

Mazda2's not a bad option, though. In fact, it's probably the best bet.

In before someone suggests an old R32 GT-R :p

5 star Safety Rating
Fun to drive
Looks great
Meets the budget (appx)

Fiats are disgustingly overpriced for what they are and what they lack in engine size. Good looking though.

I'd champion the mazda 2 for you, aunt has one and it's fantastic for a small car

Mazda2's not a bad option, though. In fact, it's probably the best bet.

Mazda 2 Genki. What they said. Looks great, (apparently) drives great, economic and so-on.

Fiats are disgustingly overpriced for what they are and what they lack in engine size. Good looking though.

Ah, engine size! Auto Motor & Sport tested the Fiat Bravo 1.4 against the Subaru Impreza 2.0R and found the Fiat to be much faster (0-100km/h in 1 second less) and more responsive. One should judge an engine based on it's performance, not it's size.

Of course the Grande Punto with the 1.4 T-Jet may be out of OP's budget, I have no clue of the price situation in Australia.

The Fiat Punto with the 1.4 T-jet lists at 25,990 according to the Fiat Australia site, and the 1.4 500 Pop model is a grand cheaper...

My girlfriend and I rarely use the rear seats, so the 500 seems quiet cool. Saw and played with one at the Melbourne motorshow, and its really rather cool and funky inside. Certainly looks chic enough outside.

Wonder how it drives though