Same Sex Marriage legal in New York

Saw this today and felt it belonged here.

empire-state_1931001i.jpg

The top of the Empire State Building is lit up with rainbow colours in honour of New York City's gay pride week. The state legislature voted to legalise same-sex marriage.

Just a few years ago gay rights supporters were a minority and in most cases somewhat secret about it but now it seems you will be lynched for saying that you dont agree with this kind of stuff. Know what i mean? When did being gay become so cool? Did i miss something somewhere? lol

Just a few years ago black rights supporters were a minority and in most cases somewhat secret about it but now it seems you will be lynched for saying that you don't agree with this kind of stuff. Know what i mean? When did being black become so cool? Did i miss something somewhere? lol

Guess someone had a dream. :p

Lol, your mean. not what i meant! besides, this is completely different

Anyways, i dont agree with it.

Why is it completely different? In the vast majority of cases people who are LGBT aren't so by choice, that is how they are born, how they come into the world. Their sexuality is as rooted in their genes as the colour of their eyes, the size of their nose, the hue of their skin and in some the ability to use the apostrophe. Don't believe me?

I have two cousins who are gay and when I first found out about the older one I asked him how long he had known he was gay. He reckoned since he was about 5. That to me is far to young for experience, environment or anything else to have shaped him in such a way.

Last edited:
im not arguing the sexual preference, im arguing how people are comparing it to race all the time. Im not saying they are gross or something, im just saying i dont agree with the way people who dont stand 100% behind the movement are looked down upon in some cases. I have had gay roomates and i served with a gay person in the military (we all knew it but she obviously couldnt say anything) and im not bothered by them. I dont avoid them.

my point is, im not arguing the "gay" thing, just the way some people are treated.

I guess you missed the point I was trying to make.

If you accept the fact the sexuality is genetic and therefore something over which people have no control then discrimination on those grounds is precisely on the same level as colour prejudice. Just as in the days of segregation when the extreme viewpoint was expounded using religion so it is here, the sad irony being that religious views and other prejudices are learned behaviour whereas sexuality is not.

I guess you missed the point I was trying to make.

If you accept the fact the sexuality is genetic and therefore something over which people have no control then discrimination on those grounds is precisely on the same level as colour prejudice. Just as in the days of segregation when the extreme viewpoint was expounded using religion so it is here, the sad irony being that religious views and other prejudices are learned behaviour whereas sexuality is not.

i will not argue these points only because there are people on here that wont understand that its just a conversation (not you) and i will be murdered. I see what you mean though and i understand your point. i dont think that they are ALL born that way as sometimes it can be based on exposure. If you only ever around men then you WILL become attracted to them. All jokes aside, lets look at the navy situation. the reason those jokes exist is because of the situation of being on ships alone for months ect. So, yes, im sure some are born that way but also some arent and i think thats where the "fear" comes in from the closed minded people. you know the "what if my son sees you do it and wants to try, you will ruin him" people and you know that there are some who do it just for attention.

You just hit the nail on the head when you said "close minded people" although I have to disagree about the naval (and prison) argument and say that is less about preference and more about necessity. After all you've heard the phrase "a girl in every port" right?

You just hit the nail on the head when you said "close minded people" although I have to disagree about the naval (and prison) argument and say that is less about preference and more about necessity. After all you've heard the phrase "a girl in every port" right?

but not everyone can get off at the port.

for the point about the necessity thing, some of them try it and then like it (for lack of a better term) so they stick to it. nothing wrong with that. My oppinion is that, and i know you wont agree, as far as my race argument, race rights and inter-race rights are an issue that deserves to be fixed to allow marriage but sexual prefference isnt. now, im going to contradict myself and say i dont agree with the gay marriage thang but i have nothing against it. Basically, i would vote for it but i hate how big of a deal it is being made. I just dont see it as that big of a thing.

You might think differently when the massed ranks of FG come down to Florida and oppress you for a bit. :evil:

You might think differently when the massed ranks of FG come down to Florida and oppress you for a bit. :evil:

if thats what it takes to get you people to come down to florida then im all for it! We really need to do a final gear cruise driving down daytona beach.

So I've been thinking about a few things regarding this issue. First off, I should probably say explicitly that I'm very glad a major state like NY has passed this. To quote the marine in SC2: hell it's about time.

What do you guys think?

You quoted sc2! Lets get married and play sc2!!

i will not argue these points only because there are people on here that wont understand that its just a conversation (not you) and i will be murdered. I see what you mean though and i understand your point. i dont think that they are ALL born that way as sometimes it can be based on exposure. If you only ever around men then you WILL become attracted to them. All jokes aside, lets look at the navy situation. the reason those jokes exist is because of the situation of being on ships alone for months ect. So, yes, im sure some are born that way but also some arent and i think thats where the "fear" comes in from the closed minded people. you know the "what if my son sees you do it and wants to try, you will ruin him" people and you know that there are some who do it just for attention.

Incorrect. Your point is based on the assumption that there are only two categories of sexuality, heterosexual and homosexual - or exclusively attracted to the same or opposite sex. This is not the case, sexuality exists on a continuum from one extreme to the other and most people are not "100%" to either end. Most humans are capable of appreciating an attractive member of the same sex, at least a little bit by acknowledging that s/he is an attractive person.

The situations that you are mentioning are likely individuals who lie somewhere between the extremes. There is much more individual variance in sexuality than people realize.

The majority of people lie just inside the extreme heterosexual end of the spectrum, and the population tapers to the heterosexual end of the spectrum with about 10% of people identifying as "homosexual". That 10% has been consistent through the years and cross culturally, it is also about the same rate as observed in animals in the wild - indicating a genetic component.

I'm not sure about the majority being extreme heterosexual, because I have been told on multiple occasions the fact that I find vaginas incredibly gross means there is something seriously wrong with me. I would rate the extreme ends of the scale as "members of ____ sex are as appealing to have sex with as spiders" or something.
Illustrative graph of my understanding of subject.
Untitled-1-1.png

Incorrect. Your point is based on the assumption that there are only two categories of sexuality, heterosexual and homosexual - or exclusively attracted to the same or opposite sex. This is not the case, sexuality exists on a continuum from one extreme to the other and most people are not "100%" to either end. Most humans are capable of appreciating an attractive member of the same sex, at least a little bit by acknowledging that s/he is an attractive person.

The situations that you are mentioning are likely individuals who lie somewhere between the extremes. There is much more individual variance in sexuality than people realize.

The majority of people lie just inside the extreme heterosexual end of the spectrum, and the population tapers to the heterosexual end of the spectrum with about 10% of people identifying as "homosexual". That 10% has been consistent through the years and cross culturally, it is also about the same rate as observed in animals in the wild - indicating a genetic component.

The voice of calm and reason as so often and while I have no intention of sharing my own proclivities or those of other members in this section of the forum I and a number of others can vouch for this being 100% correct.

I'm cringing in anticipation of the day some conservative activist misuses the phrase "peculiar institution" to describe gay marriage and sets off even more controversy. Until then, let's celebrate the way FG celebrates everything: with Miatas!

Couldn't agree more.

@ Sik: I think the marriage thing is important because it's something that a lot of straight people take for granted because it's been around practically forever for them. It's a pivotal part of American history for many people including myself. :)