Sandwiches!!!

Before I kept kosher I'd go to New York with my grandfather. We'd eat at Katz's every time and walk around the Lower East Side. I don't eat at Katz's anymore but it always reminds me of him. I do miss it dearly though because it's the best. Rueben style on white bread like that is blasphemy though; it has to be on rye with brown mustard.

P1070799.JPG

The Jackpot at Lansky's in NYC. Its just a tower of turkey, corned beef, pastrami and salami. Finished the whole thing with a friend.

Woody_Allen.jpg

The Woody Allen at Carnegie Deli. 1 half pastrami, 1 half corned beef. No where as good as Katzs.

20100310-sal-kris-charlies-bomb-cross-section--thumb-500x332-78120.jpg

The Bomb from Sal, Kris, and Charlie's. This ridiculously huge sandwich from Astoria, Queens. Perfect if you just want to eat meat.

I need to find the time to go down to White House Subs in Atlantic City.
white+house+subs.jpg

Has anybody tried them?

Cubano pork sandwich + couscous salad

5569958548_910734c5c9_z.jpg

Turkey + pork belly sandwich

5724773147_039897062e_z.jpg

The Bombcast were talking about the Monte Cristo, what the fuck is wrong with you America?

It's the 250th anniversary of the sandwich.

It is part of a British culinary tradition handed down over hundreds of years.
And it seems nothing unites our nation quite like a hearty chicken sandwich.
We get through more than 55,600 tons of them every year, nearly three times as much as our next preferred sandwich ? cheese.

But our other favourite fillings differ across the country, according to a survey carried out by the British Sandwich Association to mark the sandwich?s 250th anniversary.
Prawn mayonnaise makes up a quarter of sandwiches sold in the south west, while the classic combination of ham and mustard hits the top ten only in Scotland and the east of England.
While political divides between Scotland and London widen, both areas are united in their passion for mixed sandwich selections ? with one in 10 Londoners and one in seven Scots regularly choosing variety packs.

Chicken and bacon is Yorkshire?s favourite, while southerners prefer egg and cress.
And although Wales and the West generally prefer ploughman?s and BLTs, they are the only region where large numbers liven up their chicken sandwiches with a dash of pesto.
Although there is competition from overseas, with 4 per cent of people picking wraps and 2 per cent picking paninis, the majority ? 58 per cent ? still enjoy a sandwich for lunch. Rolls and baguettes also help make up the 252,000 tons of bread we get through a year.

The BSA said the commercial sandwich industry, worth ?6billion to the economy every year and employing 300,000 people, is growing despite pressure on consumer spending.
Association director Jim Winship said: ?The Great British Sandwich is still going strong 250 years after it was invented.
?While chicken is the most popular filling because of the almost endless recipe options, our research shows sandwiches are a simple and effective way of catering for different tastes around the country.
?They are also a very balanced meal and portable, so they are a perfect fit for the busy modern day lifestyle.?
It is believed John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich, invented the sandwich in 1762 after asking for beef between two slices of bread so he did not have to leave his card game.

An ardent gambler, the 4th Earl of Sandwich refused to break from his games to dine formally. Instead, so legend has it, he demanded his kitchen staff bring him slabs of beef between hunks of bread, so that he might eat it without dripping gravy on his cards.
His gambling chums, all eager to emulate their esteemed host, adopted the same habit, and when the Earl ordered his snack, they would shout 'The same as Sandwich!', and thus, the story goes, the sandwich was born.
A less colourful version of the tale is expounded in the Earl of Sandwich's biography, by N.A.M. Rodger. He suggests that Sandwich, a hardworking member of the military who was heavily involved with the political world and the arts, is more likely to have eaten the sandwiches at his desk.

Linky

article-2141902-13017BEB000005DC-555_468x543.jpg

As a Yorkshireman, I'm not sure I approve.

The rabbi Hillel had him beat by thousands of years:

Tonight begins Passover, the yearly ritual retelling of the Jewish story of Exodus. But mostly, it?s about eating.A central element of the traditional seder dinner is eating a Hillel sandwich: a scoop of fruity-nutty-chutney called charoset and a spoonful of horseradish between two pieces of matzoh (unleveaned flatbread.) This sandwich, we believe, is the very first sandwich to be recorded and preserved through history.
Born in Babylonia but ?the man? in Jerusalem, Rabbi Hillel was the preeminent figure of Jewish study in the 1st Century BC (BCE.) As a centerpiece of the Passover seder, he thought to combine the three major symbols of the meal into one compact bite: matzoh, bitter herbs and roast lamb.
Wait. What?s that about roast lamb?
The modern Hillel sandwich is a far cry from the sage Rabbi?s original creation. Over time, charoset has taken the place of the roast lamb, likely out of necessity and availability. Even matzoh, the iconic ?bread? of Passover, has taken on a form that is likely quite different from the original Bedouin flatbread.
So tonight, as Jews eat their Hillel sandwiches, consider this: how badass could a real Hillel sandwich be ? roast leg of lamb and chopped horseradish wrapped in a wood fired flatbread?
Tell us about your perfect Hillel sandwich in the comments.

I had one a month ago made with waffles and fried chicken with blueberry jam...it was...eh. I preffer the origional. The blueberry jam was awesome, though.

Oh, man...the jam makes it!

Also, consider that there are also two variants:
The ham/ham & turkey sandwish just made with two slices of french toast...or...the same thing, but friench-toast-batter-dip-and-deep-fry the whole sammich.

4301934_460s.jpg

What is it with the complete meat overload some of you people fancy? :p

What happened to having a bit of balance between ingredients? :D

Is unable to rep.

I hate that show soo much, I don't want to watch an American eat shit for 30 minutes.

I actually meant 'roast beef' in a 'cunt' context'.

Wickedly delicious BBQ beef brisket sandwich from Brooklyn

7000377180_fff2a60224_c.jpg

Last edited:
Why is this New Zealand only?

http://img50.imageshack.**/img50/5809/massivemcmuffinej8.jpg