Sandy Bridge (Builds, Discussion and Random Shit)

500W will do you perfectly fine. So many people think they need a billion gigawatt PSU.

Indeed but you can't get really good PSU's thats under 650w :)

In Norway you can get a special brand MIST who almost get their own custom made PSU's with Japanese (high quality) condensers/capacitors and the lot. They're brilliant. ;)

So in the IRC chan I have been knocking around the idea of building a "budget" gaming PC, $1k is the price mark. So looking at mother boards chipsets for the Sandy Bridge mess I am seeing the wiki list a lot of model numbers and I have no idea what it means. Can someone link to a great breakdown and which one I should buy/wait for:

Screen shot 2011-03-03 at 5.27.22 PM.png

So in the IRC chan I have been knocking around the idea of building a "budget" gaming PC, $1k is the price mark. So looking at mother boards chipsets for the Sandy Bridge mess I am seeing the wiki list a lot of model numbers and I have no idea what it means. Can someone link to a great breakdown and which one I should buy/wait for:

View attachment 4284

No no no, "budget" is what my friend is slapping together for $300. $1k will get you quite a lot :p

View attachment 4284

As mentioned in IRC, Z68 or P67 based boards. None of the other allow CPU oc, which is a crime when these chips do 4.8+GHz on air (3.2+GHz on stock cooler) considering they come at 2.4GHz at stock.

I'm waiting for Z68 for the possibility of on-the-fly graphics switching, so another 3 months :(

Dear Valued Customer,

Regarding Sales Order Number: ________________
Item(s): ____________________

In early February, we sent you an e-mail notifying you of a design issue with the Intel Sandy Bridge compatible motherboard model you recently purchased from our site. We are writing to inform you that very limited numbers of replacement motherboards are beginning to arrive in our warehouses from the manufacturer. We will begin making them available in batches based on the date the original items were purchased. No further action regarding this specific order and item is required from you at this time. As soon as we receive shipment for the date range of your order we will notify you promptly.

At Newegg, we are committed to making this process easy and convenient for you. In the meantime, if you are using your product, we advise you to continue following the tips and suggestions provided in our earlier e-mail in order to bypass the issue.

We appreciate your patience in this matter and thank you for your patronage!

Sincerely,
Newegg.com

Ordered my i7-2600K just now. What mobo should I/can I get for this thing?

Ordered my i7-2600K just now. What mobo should I/can I get for this thing?

Depends, if you want EUFI get an Asus board (p67), if not get a Gigabyte board (p67). From what I've seen the Asus boards get the highest overclocks. Z68 wont be out for a while.

I see no reason to buy the Z68 boards. Either you want a performance pc with a graphics card and OC or you want an entertainment PC without a card and therefore you dont need OC.

For people building a performance PC I can highly recommend the Gigabyte UD4 :)
If you can afford it go for the UD7 ;)

I see no reason to buy the Z68 boards. Either you want a performance pc with a graphics card and OC or you want an entertainment PC without a card and therefore you dont need OC.

For people building a performance PC I can highly recommend the Gigabyte UD4 :)
If you can afford it go for the UD7 ;)

The intel IGP is a mean beast at video encoding. And I'd like to save on electricity by disabling my power-hungry nvidia card when I'm asleep/AFK.

Been busy. Ordered the following:

XFX Radeon HD5870
Corsair 750W PSU
Asus Sabertooth P67 mobo
Antec Three Hundred Case
Intel 120GB SSD
Lite-On BD-R drive
Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 1866 RAM

Should have everything by mid next week. I can't wait!

Waiting on a email from Newegg. They say I'm in the first batch to get a replacement mobo, since i literally ordered my P67A-UD7 about 32 minutes after it got on to the Newegg website.

I'm in the same boat. Also nice to get to play with the computer again ;)

How's this for a build?

i7-2600K
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Asus P8P67 Deluxe mobo
16GB Corsair Vengence Ram kit
Asus GTX560 graphics card
Intel 160GB 2G X25-M SSD
1TB WD Black
Corsair HX750 PSU
Lancool K60 case

Not my comp, but work wants to put together a CFD/3D Graphics rendering computer. Thinking of having 2 of these networked atm. I specced a basic GFX card atm as I'm thinking about what to put in.

Last edited:
How's this for a build?

i7-2600K
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Asus P8P67 Deluxe mobo
Intel 160GB 2G X25-M SSD
1TB WD Black
Corsair HX750 PSU
Lancool K60 case

Not my comp, but work wants to put together a CFD/3D Graphics rendering computer. Thinking of having 2 of these networked atm. I specced a basic GFX card atm as I'm thinking about what to put in.

No it absolutely will not do. :p

If you're planning on doing CFD/3D why are you using a consumer video card (Geforce, Radeon) instead of a work station one (Quadro, FirePro).

Atm that card is in there as a filler for a better card. I'm not sure what they can get their hands on at the moment, so yeah. Surely a GTX580 or two would be reasonably quick no? I have no idea when it comes to uber-highend gear.

With a computer around that previous spec though, its most likely they'll build 2 then network them together.

They don't quiet have 100K to blow on this setup, and its not uber-critical.

Last edited:
How's this for a build?

i7-2600K
Noctua NH-D14 cooler
Asus P8P67 Deluxe mobo
Intel 160GB 2G X25-M SSD
1TB WD Black
Corsair HX750 PSU
Lancool K60 case

Almost identical to my (planned) build, minus the Z68 chipset and SSD

Atm that card is in there as a filler for a better card. I'm not sure what they can get their hands on at the moment, so yeah. Surely a GTX580 or two would be reasonably quick no? I have no idea when it comes to uber-highend gear.

With a computer around that previous spec though, its most likely they'll build 2 then network them together.

They don't quiet have 100K to blow on this setup, and its not uber-critical.

If your rendering work uses very high-res textures that need lots of VRAM, look at the Quadros and FireGLs. They have WAYY more VRAM to play with. Also, keep an eye on the Wikipedia pages for specs, since naming GPUs = confusing customers as much as possible. Finally, one nVIDIA CUDA core = 2.5 AMD Stream Processors (roughly, based on pricepoints and performance). If you're planning on lots of OpenGL work, its advisable to stick to nvidia, although amd is catching up as well since the last 3 years orso.