Saudis want aid if world cuts oil dependence

motogpboy

Car(s)
2006 WRX
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33225373/ns/us_news-environment/

BANGKOK - There are plenty of needy countries at the U.N. climate talks in Bangkok that make the case they need financial assistance to adapt to the impacts of global warming. Then there are the Saudis.

Saudi Arabia has led a quiet campaign during these and other negotiations ? demanding behind closed doors that oil-producing nations get special financial assistance if a new climate pact calls for substantial reductions in the use of fossil fuels.

That campaign comes despite an International Energy Agency report released this week showing that OPEC revenues would still increase $23 trillion between 2008 and 2030 ? a fourfold increase compared to the period from 1985 to 2007 ? if countries agree to significantly slash emissions and thereby cut their use of oil. That is the limit most countries agree is needed to avoid the worst impacts of climate change.

The head of the Saudi delegation Mohammad S. Al Sabban dismissed the IEA figures as "biased" and said OPEC's own calculations showed that Saudi Arabia would lose $19 billion a year starting in 2012 under a new climate pact. The region would lose much more, he said.

"We are among the economically vulnerable countries," Al Sabban told The Associated Press on the sidelines of the talks ahead of negotiations in Copenhagen in December for a treaty to replace the Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012.

"This is very serious for us," he continued. "We are in the process of diversifying our economy but this will take a long time. We don't have too many resources."

Saudi Arabia, which sits atop the world's largest proven oil reserves, is seeing economic growth slide because of fallout from the global meltdown, but experts still expect the country, flush with cash from oil's earlier price spike last year, to be better able than other nations to cope with the current crisis.

(More on the story in the link)

Well boo fucking hoo. Finally coming to bite them back in the ass isn't it? They held the western nations hostage for a good part of the last 40 years and now that we're trying to decrease our dependence on their resources they're freaking the hell out.

Reading this just ticked me the hell off.

Hopefully now we won't be seeing any more chromed out SLR Mclaren's etc etc etc.?

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson - "Back to your camels."

They should have saved their money while it was coming in. Some of the other oil producing nations invested their oil wealth elsewhere and have diversified to protect themselves from the inevitable.

Hey, Saudi Arabia!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7p4mioawIA[/YOUTUBE]

:boohoo:

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson - "Back to your camels."

They should have saved their money while it was coming in. Some of the other oil producing nations invested their oil wealth elsewhere and have diversified to protect themselves from the inevitable.
You've no idea where money has gone into in Saudi if you are saying that.

*moved to the right forum section*

This is why Dubai has built itself up as a resort/business city. They know that oil won't be used forever.

Let's say the world, especially West, cuts down their fuel usage drastically as suggested. What will happen then:

High fuel prices

Shortage of fuel

Global unrest

and that would probably lead to more wars and crisis and that's the least we need now...

So this a lose-lose situation.

All those booing the Saudis should remember that oil is the lifeline of industry at the moment and that lifeline is in the hand of those maniacs.

And those who support alternate resources, let's not forget that even those resources indirectly depend on fossil energy.

In short, you cannot cut your dependence on fuels unless you know how to control a fission reaction.. and that's not going to happen soon, is it?

Saudi Arabia has significantly developed their infrastructure. Those who haven't visited the country have no idea at all.

And those who support alternate resources, let's not forget that even those resources indirectly depend on fossil energy.

In short, you cannot cut your dependence on fuels unless you know how to control a fission reaction.. and that's not going to happen soon, is it?

We know how to control fission reactions that how all our energy producing nuclear power plants work.

And hydrogen doesn't require fossil fuel. Only electricity, which could be provided from nuclear power plants.

And hydrogen doesn't require fossil fuel. Only electricity, which could be provided from nuclear power plants.

Or solar power plants.

The Middle East has lots of sun and empty space. Why not exporting energy and hydrogen in the future?

We gettin' Arab Money!......oh wait.

(apologies in advance if yet another one of my posts today has somehow offended your sensitive soul, but it would be a record for me to have offended two entirely different countries in one day, as was the case with my friendly jesting towards a certain F1 driver who I actually like earlier)

They milked us (see: the rest of the world) for all we were worth and literally built cities made of money not five years ago, and now they want aid because "times are a bit rough"?

FUCK

THAT.

Plastics. Until we find another way to get the raw materials for polymers, we'll still need dino juice.

If you're talking about fusion, that's happening in a controlled manner in a number of places already. Just not on an economically viable scale.

Such nonsense.

Last edited:
Or solar power plants.

The Middle East has lots of sun and empty space. Why not exporting energy and hydrogen in the future?

They could, but they would lose most of the West. The US can build new nuclear plants or use its large supply of Nuclear power plants.

As for plastics, the U.S. and other countries with their own oil production would be able to supply their needs. Cut cars out and you have a lot of oil left over.

The US can build new nuclear plants or use its large supply of Nuclear power plants.
Good luck with that happening.

DON'T WORRY THO WE HAVE CLEAN COAL PLANTS LOL

Well, if the Saudis stop financing Bin Laden, financing extremist islamism, become a democracy, and stop being about the same as Iran and Iraq under Saddam, stops being islamo-fascist against their women and do something about their de facto asian slave workers...

Then I think a small fee would not be out of order. Not too bad an idea.

:)

Edit: Wait, I wasn't thinking. Iran is MUCH better than Saudi Arabia.

Edit2: Someone gave me a negative rep for an opinion, and didn't wish to disclose his/hers nick. To publicly humiliate the guy, I'll quote the text, and will do this in the respective post anytime someone negative reps me without disclosing their nick. Enjoy. :)

"I bet you're one of those people who think women should be given jobs simply because they're women? you sexist."

Oh, and no, I don't.

Last edited:
I believe this is in order...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg3vdU-Y1wM[/YOUTUBE]