Searching for a Replacement Motorcycle (Sporty Touring)

To be honest, I've treated the chain on my old bike miserably, essentially spraying some oil on it.... sometimes. It was still fine. So I'm not that worried about it.
I also browsed the used bike marked for used, not-too-high-mileage BMWs, and saw how expensive they still are.

I mailed the Ducati dealer in reference to my visit yesterday and asked for a testride once that bike comes in.

Also on the financial site: Using the insurance company I had used for the CBF, I got quotes for €190/year for the Multistrada and €160/year for the R1200RS and the Tracer GT. Taxes would be cheaper for the Tracer (€66/year) than for BMW and the Ducati (€88/year).
So the most expensive option is ~€270/year just for having it standing around doing nothing, while the cheapest is ~€225. Not in any way significant.
I assume, without any knowledge, that the Yamaha would be significantly cheaper in maintenace, though. I'm leaning towards ignoring that. :D
Regarding fuel consumption, I'm used to over 6 l/100 km from my old bike, so the 1200 cc bikes don't scare me. Again, the Yamaha with the smaller engine would be better, but that would be a bonus, not a decider.

So, this morning I had a test ride on a Ducati Multistrada 1200. Weather was shit (light rain, about 5°C), so the conditions were far from ideal.
Nevertheless, it was enough to rule out the bike. I just don't like the engine characteristic. It's far too shaky at not-even-low revs, making city riding decidedly not fun.
Heated grips are nice, though. :D Cruise control, too.

One thing I noticed: Eight years of riding a bike with a combined braking system have really fucked me up. I need to get that out of my system.

The 90° V-Twin does have a different feel than other engines, the triple in the MT-09 is much smoother.

The 90° V-Twin does have a different feel than other engines, the triple in the MT-09 is much smoother.

This triple is anything but smooth to me! How shaky is the L?! ?

I'll answer you two as soon as I get off this Ducati

I don't find it as buzzy as a small parallel twin, but it's not as buttery smooth as a V4. The L-twin isn't as a shaky as a narrower twin, but you will feel the engine more since. you have only two large cylinders rather than 3-4 smaller ones at higher RPM.

I feel I have to testride the Tracer again. Last spring the ride was rather short. :D
Also, I need to get myself onto a R1200RS to experience how bad the boxer engine is. ;)

Attachments

• F167F107-B5CD-4CCA-8D7A-C6596C45DA81.jpeg
    F167F107-B5CD-4CCA-8D7A-C6596C45DA81.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 187
The 'shakiness' is the signature Ducati terrible fueling below 4k RPMs, which I presume is due to making the things pass Euro-whatever emissions.

Just get a tune flashed, there's plenty of threads on ducati.ms and other forums. A Ducati is best enjoyed in the twisties with the engine on boil.

Thanks for the info, @Der Stig - but getting a tune that circumvents emissions things does not sound like a good idea to me here in TÜV land. ;)

So.... decision has been made. In writing.

All the other bikes didn't really fit, so of course in a couple of weeks or so there will be a Yamaha in my garage. Nevertheless, it was a good thought process, weighing and test-riding the alternatives. Made me all the more sure my decision is the right one. :)

Test-rode one today (sadly this morning someone was faster on getting one closer to me and 1k cheaper...), and especially in comparison to the BMW I test-rode earlier this week, it was very apparent that this is just the bike I need.

More details to come in a PYB thread once it's actually in my possession.