Sequential manual gearbox products

Paul

It is possible to convert a normal h gearbox found in a normal rwd car into a Sequential manual gearbox?

What's a sequential manual gearbox? :blink:

Like a motorbike trans, push up to go up one gear and down to do down one gear. As for the question, no I don't belive it is possible, but why would you want to?

Yeah, conversion, if possible, would be a prohibitevely expensive and futile exercise. The gear shifter itself is either hydraulically or pneumatically and electrically controlled. Flicking the lever would need to trigger the clutch, and engage the next gear along. You would basically need to install a mechanism that engages the right gear, unlike your standard h-pattern controller.

There are sequential gearboxes for cars like the AE86 or Skyline GTRs available over in Japan used by tuners. I think you can use a normal foot operated clutch on the sequential.

What's a sequential manual gearbox?
Button to shift, button to shift down (eg.: motorcycles, F1 paddles).

Except, some sequential gearboxes, I think, only have a clutch for starting from a stand-still. Then the clutch is not used for shifting up and down through the gears (F1 cars). I'm not entirely certain on this, so, don't take my word for it.

Yeah, conversion, if possible, would be a prohibitevely expensive and futile exercise. The gear shifter itself is either hydraulically or pneumatically and electrically controlled. Flicking the lever would need to trigger the clutch, and engage the next gear along. You would basically need to install a mechanism that engages the right gear, unlike your standard h-pattern controller.
We must have crossed brainwaves, because I think the same way. Sure, anything's possible if you think about it, but that doesn't make it worth-while! :D

Button to shift, button to shift down (eg.: motorcycles, F1 paddles).
Nowadays, you can change gears sequentially with buttons or a stick on automatic gearboxes as well. Am I correct that the difference to a true automatic is that the sequential manual gearbox still operates a manual as we know it, it just does it electronically?

Nowadays, you can change gears sequentially with buttons or a stick on automatic gearboxes as well. Am I correct that the difference to a true automatic is that the sequential manual gearbox still operates a manual as we know it, it just does it electronically?

Depends what you mean by 'sequential manual gearbox'.

You can have a normal manual gearbox with a fully sequential operation where the physical movement of a lever forwards or backwards selects the next or preceeding car - just like on a motorbike. Though I think you'll only really find these in racing applications.

Then you have the robotised manual gearboxes - which are a normal manual 'box with clutch, but all the mechanics are controlled electronically. These can operate in a sequential manner using buttons / lever / paddles etc. BMW's SMG is an example of this (IIRC). The Audi DSG is another - though it's clutch & gearbox is a different design to a 'normal' manual.

And then you have automatic 'boxes that are just a normal automatic box with a manual mode - still the same physical components (torque converter etc), but with the addition of a sequential shift mode - again by buttons / lever / paddles etc.

And that's not forgetting CVTs...