Shirt and tie recommendations

Phila

Car(s)
1995 Subaru Legacy, 2008 Subaru Legacy
I have three weddings to go to all in the next 5 weeks and I have no shirt and tie to wear with my suit. I am wearing a plain black suit (no pinstripes or anything special). Any nice color combinations that go well with a black suit would be greatly appreciated. +rep for everyone! :D

btw for anyone that cares, I'm fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes. I'm half German and half Polish so think very Aryan. I was thinking a light blue shirt might go well, but then again I have no clue hence the reason for the thread.

Last edited:
I have three weddings to go to all in the next 5 weeks and I have no shirt and tie to wear with my suit. I am wearing a plain black suit (no pinstripes or anything special). Any nice color combinations that go well with a black suit would be greatly appreciated. +rep for everyone! :D

btw for anyone that cares, I'm fair skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes. I'm half German and half Polish so think very Aryan. I was thinking a light blue shirt might go well, but then again I have no clue hence the reason for the thread.

Aryan you say. Some styles never go out of fashion.

Adolf_Hitler-1933.jpg

//Godwin'd

Eh, picture needs more color for me to get the same look ;)

It's easier to pair a tie if you go with a plain white shirt, if that helps.

Good point, plus it is good to always have a plain white shirt in case you need it.

well obviously a black tie is out of the question. why not go for something like a dark blue, red or green tie. nothing too fancy. i once knew someone who went to a wedding with a star trek tie. as much as i'm a nerd even i have lines i'm willing to draw on.
Maybe a light blue shirt as well. although the plain white shirt is faultless and can't really go wrong with it.

A plain black suit can look severe (ie, formal) so try to brighten it up with a coloured and/or patterned shirt. A few tips:

1. With your colouring (same as mine), a blue shirt is a good option. Don't be afraid of patterns.
2. A dark tie with a light shirt will look more formal than a dark shirt / light tie combination.
3. The cut of the collar will make a difference to your overall look. A wide (spread) collar is better if you have a thin face. A narrow collar is better if you have a round face.
4. Learn to tie a tie in a full Windsor knot.
5. Check out some of the online retailers sites for colour combination ideas.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Pink shirt, purple tie. Yellow shirt, blue tie. White shirt, stripey.

If you want to get really technical, have a look at the invites. Many wedding have a colour theme to them that can be reflected on the invitations. Unlikely, but there may be a common colour between them that you could match.

But otherwise, white shirt, blue tie is always good.

And the reason why we keep recommending a blue instead of black is because it usually the waitstaff that wear white shirt/black tie.

Really? I just think black is boring and reserved for funerals.

And if the blue matches your eyes, so much the better :)

it usually the waitstaff that wear white shirt/black tie.

Agreed.

I just think black is boring and reserved for funerals.

And if the blue matches your eyes, so much the better :)

Very much agreed.

I am definitely getting a nice white shirt, I want something a bit thicker though. Ones I've had in the past were always thin and that just seems cheap to me, no matter what the quality.

As for the tie, I'll be looking for something like this or simialar:

br770941-00vliv01.jpg

edit: actually, that looks like one of those "skinny" ties. I'm not a hipster, I'll be getting a classic tie.

Last edited:
You need a lady friend, I thought a navy shirt and an orange tie looked ridiculous, but fuck, it sure worked with the women.

Red shirt, Red tie with blue accents

You need a lady friend, I thought a navy shirt and an orange tie looked ridiculous, but fuck, it sure worked with the women.

If you don't have a lady friend, you can borrow someone else's. A random lady in the shoe store picked out my shoes, and they're pretty bloody fantastic shoes.

Whatever you don't take Kajun's advice. :p

If you do want to wear a white shirt, make sure it's a sharp and neat shirt that's not everyday or cheap. I find that matching it up with a thin tie of black or any colour, or even a knit tie, makes the overall appearance look less severe and pretty damn good. I usually frequent The Sartorialist and you can look to that blog for advice in the future.

Yeah, all white shirts are not made equal. I thought so at one point and bought a cheap ass white shirt from wal mart....and you can tell after just a couple of use that it's not up to par.

Yeah, all white shirts are not made equal. I thought so at one point and bought a cheap ass white shirt from wal mart....and you can tell after just a couple of use that it's not up to par.

Don't worry, I've done the same. I forgot to add the the style of the collar is pretty vital as well. An Ainsley collar and French cuffs never hurt anyone, and if you have the body type, the slimmer the fit the neater the look. You might also look up different types of fabric and weave to find what you look best in.