SHO Superleggera!!

Phila

Car(s)
1995 Subaru Legacy, 2008 Subaru Legacy
SHO powered Mercury Sable AIV (Aluminum Intensive-Vehicle)

1004299.jpg

1994-mercury-sable-aiv

Back in 1994, Ford produced a series of experimental Mercury Sables with all-aluminum bodies. About 20 were made, a few of which were even powered by the aluminum 3.2-liter Yamaha V6 from the automatic-equipped Taurus SHO of the time. Laden down with high-performance hardware, the aluminum-bodied Sable AIV, which stands for Aluminum-Intensive Vehicle, was some 360 pounds lighter than a steel-bodied SHO and 91 pounds lighter than a 1994 Mercury Sable (with a much less powerful Vulcan V6, mind you). It was also more fuel efficient despite being tuned for performance.

Having largely been developed and tested in Canada, the Sable AIV isn't known to many Americans (despite one being campaigned in the 1995 One Lap of America and finishing a respectable 15th), but those who troll SHOforum.com were recently given a history lesson when a Canadian forum member stumbled across a pristine example sitting in the parking lot of Ford's Canadian headquarters. Fortunately, this crafty Canadian SHO-fan eventually made contact with someone at Ford who confirmed the parked AIV was indeed the real deal. Unfortunately, this Ford contact also confirmed what most SHOforum.com members already feared: Unable to be registered as a road-going vehicle, this AIV will likely be destroyed.

An aluminum-bodied SHO (even if it looks like a Sable) ranks right up there with a SHO Wagon as the ultimate unobtainable prize for any SHO fan. For one, it completely fixes one of the original SHO's major shortcomings: rust. Thanks to aluminum's natural corrosion resistance, this particular example looks SHO-room (hahaha) fresh despite being 16 years old. Plus, these Sable AIVs were said to go like stink thanks to their 360-pound weight loss.

Autoblog

I like it. It just oozes special.

I like it. It just oozes special.

I know it makes me ooze something special... wait what!

Anyhow it screams collector's car. Ford could auction it off as a none road legal car and make some cash. They can use it.

Hah look at this idiot, bringing grandma's Sable to the drag strip. Who does he think he....wait, is he at the finish line already?? :blink:

Heh, My parents owned a '94 wagon with that exact same color scheme. First car they bought new.

Pretty cool idea, it's a shame that more weren't made.

Hmmm, cool and bleh at the same time. I'd like to see one in person just to say I have. My question is how many of these were actually able to be registered and driven legally? And why doesn't Wiki have any info? Anyone got a good link to read about the car that isn't a blog and has more info?