Shots from Iceland

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
Very nice nighttime shot of the Harpa concert hall.. :) I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I have also had a trip to Iceland very recently, here are some of my shots:

Down by the water front:

From Thingvellir:

One of Geysir's sisters:

A swan:

A detail from inside the Harpa concert hall:

Hallgrim's church:

From Iceland's Supreme Court:

The Blue Lagoon:

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2017 Kia Niro, 2015 911 Turbo
Shots of a lava tube/cave

My private Jeep tour in one of the famed Arctic trucks

Hraunfossar falls

- - - Updated - - -

Skogarfoss falls

Geothermal tomato farms

Gullfoss

Reactions: TC

TC

aka TomCat
Beautiful shots. I'm half Icelandic, but I know so little about the place and have never visited it. Another item to add to my bucket list.

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Dinner at the Seabaron

Shots of the church

Hakarl, aka the famed 'rotted shark' delicacy

- - - Updated - - -

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Fantastic shots and so jealous you got to see more than I did when I was there.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Seat Leon
very nice shots from both of you :) iceland is now officially confirmed on my list of places to visit.

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Do it. You won't be disappointed. Avoid the whale watching trips in the winter months as all you are likely to see is a couple of dolphins. Northern Lights tours can be a bit hit and miss (best ones we saw were walking back through Reykjavik one evening) but the Golden Circle and other scenic tours are a must.

Also download the app that tracks happy hours and you can bar crawl through town getting half price beers for most of the evening. :cheers:

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Here's the catch 22 with Northern lights viewing in Iceland... It's a total gamble. Obviously you have to view during thr winter time (Nov-Mar) because being closer to thr Arctic circle, the nights are longer, during summer there practically is no night so even if solar flares occur, you won't see squat because of the midnight sun effect.

But Iceland being a little Island in the north atlantic means wildly unpredictable and competing microclimate weather systems, which often means bad viewing conditions because of overcast and precipitation which can switch on/off on a dime.

So you have to have overall generally good conditions, be far away from the major city to avoid light pollution, be in the right place with a patch of clear sky that is facing in the right direction in the sky at the right time to catch the lights, and sometimes even then it may not be bright enough to really see with the naked eye unless youve been standing in the dark for a while. Sometimes they may only be visible with a camera + tripod and long exposures. I had poot viewing conditions the week I spent there, the last 3 weeks prior to my arrival they had record dry weather, clear skies and perfect viewing conditions, go figure.

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
I didn't have too much time to get god photos from my trip to Iceland. I was there for something called Nordic Week, it's an event held by the Student Association of the University of Iceland faculty of Law (Orator) During daytime we are on sightseeing and attending lectures, this time the subject was freedom of Speech. Nighttime we do what students usually do, we go drinking. Since it was Iceland, we had plenty of this:

mpicco

Forum Addict
Car(s)
R19
Great shots, would love to visit (or even live there). But I heard its quite expensive and I am broke in a broke country :lol:.

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Great shots, would love to visit (or even live there). But I heard its quite expensive and I am broke in a broke country :lol:.
Visit sure, but live there? Spend a winter there and you may change your mind :lol:

Yeah Iceland is not cheap, to me it was like Tokyo expensive, possibly even London or Moscow levels expensive (haven't been to Moscow ever and not London recently so can't say for sure), definitely more than NYC expensive. Even with prices lowering from the recent financial crash, everything is still costly.

Ironically their currency value is so bad, the rest of the world is too expensive for them to travel to as well.

jmb

Car(s)
BMW 120D M-Sport
I'm going there in October, and Lofoten in September. :D

Wait, did I already say that?

edkwon

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Just returned from my 2nd trip to Iceland in May, this time doing a complete tour of the Island Ring Road. Here was my approximate route:

7 days from Reykjavik back to the airport, had to rush the last quarter of the island unfortunately but someday I'll be back again.

Lonely little protestant church south of the captial, strandarkirkja