Should I get an iphone now or wait for the new one?

bear in mind thought that i believe the 80 dollar plan with telstra only gives u 80 dollars of credit each month

Depends how much you use your phone I guess, the CAP plans i'd never go near using that amount of usage so it doesn't really bother me

optus's data plans are pretty crap I thought, telstra is offering free wifi access at their AP's but haven't revealed the finer details of their plans.

optus's data plans are pretty crap I thought, telstra is offering free wifi access at their AP's but haven't revealed the finer details of their plans.

yer that pricing is too good to be true be interesting to have a look at all the details plus Vodafone's plans which I believe is being released on Tuesday next week will be interesting to see

Quick question about the internet usage wording on o2's site. All their tariffs include Unlimited Data & Wi-Fi, so what exactly does that mean? In the T+C's it says this 'Data usage whilst roaming not included'

So will it cost me if I were in a non-wifi region, using the interent via 3G?

Quick question about the internet usage wording on o2's site. All their tariffs include Unlimited Data & Wi-Fi, so what exactly does that mean? In the T+C's it says this 'Data usage whilst roaming not included'

So will it cost me if I were in a non-wifi region, using the interent via 3G?

You get free data usage inside wifi zone (of course) and also free data if you're outside (using GRPS or 3G). You don't get free data usage when outside of UK. Becareful with their "unlimitied" wording. Last time I've checked, you are only allowed 300MB on 3G and GRPS, might have changed now.

yer that pricing is too good to be true be interesting to have a look at all the details plus Vodafone's plans which I believe is being released on Tuesday next week will be interesting to see

wouldn't surprise me if telstra did the ol' bait and switch like they did with cable internet back in the day

You get free data usage inside wifi zone (of course) and also free data if you're outside (using GRPS or 3G). You don't get free data usage when outside of UK. Becareful with their "unlimitied" wording. Last time I've checked, you are only allowed 300MB on 3G and GRPS, might have changed now.

300MB is quite a lot for normal browsing though, obviously I wouldnt be downloading huge files or anything like that lol!

Actually, now I think about it, 300mb isnt that much is it! Im rarely just browsing the net, so I dont know how far 300mb would get me.

My plan gives me 100mb per month. I check my email 3-4 times a day, update about 15 RSS feeds 2 times a day, update my weather app once a day and use random websites and google maybe 4-5 times a week. With all that, my 100mb limit just about cuts it. So I think 300mb will do you fine. However, if you plan on using youtube on a non wifi connection it will eat through that 300mb limit in a matter of hours.

It seems that O2 won't be selling the iphone 3G on Pay & go until Christmas :-(

I really need to change my phone soon. So, I know that after July 11th the original iphone price will take a big drop. Is there any chance of getting a new one that hasn't been opened ?

*yawn!!* Still waiting for Telstra and Vodafone to release their plan details...

@ HH: What is a Telstra AP??

EDIT: New Zealand, I know we make jokes about you and sheep but I feel your pain. Dear God Vodafone, what were you thinking!?!

Last edited:
It's now clear that we won't be able to get the iphone 3G without a contract until Christmas. I decided to get the first gen iphone for now and as it can run the 2.0 software it's going to be quite good indeed. Then a few months sown the line, when the 3G comes out on pay as you go and after a price drop, I will get it.

For now, how much should I pay for a 8GB or 16GB on ebay? I will be getting sealed ones (there seem to be quite a few). Also, is ebay the best place to get a 1st gen iphone?

A friend of mine is going to Hong Kong in a few hours.

Can you buy a unlocked iphone 3G there or even one on a Pay & Go plan?

**Edit - I had a look here and it seems it's only on a monthly contract. Is there any way around this ?

http://iphone.three.com.hk/website/en/iplan.html

Last edited: