Should we ditch our custom filename format in favor of the Scene's?

Should we ditch our custom filename format in favor of the Scene's?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think our format looks better, but in the end the naming has no effect whatsoever on my usage, so I don't care and vote for the more convenient solution of going for scene names.

If the format isn't correct for the device they are playing it on people will just use a format converter like Tunebite. Just leave it as the date method, I hate renaming files. I dont understand why people have to make the file name with tons of useless garble.

I always rename it anyway, to something like this:

Top Gear (UK) (s20e06) {2013 08 04} [1080i HDTV-RiP h264]-CtrlHD.ts

Where the date can be replaced / combined with the Show Title, if present (example India Special, America Road Trip, etc.)

Why I do so? So my WDTV Live will show the name show correctly, plus to help my PLEX Server to correctly find it.

Variety is the spice of life, so here's one more format:

I always rename the files to top_gear_s20e06_2013-08-04_720p.mkv for the sorting order and the most important information, and make a subdirectory for each series. I don't like uppercase letters, whatever sort of brackets and spaces in filenames. As I simply watch the episodes by doubleclicking the file, I don't know why any software might depend on the filename.

Conclusion: It wouldn't make any difference to me.

I don't see much gain from changing the filenames. So keeping whatever name the files originally have is less work, therefore better.

I don't see much gain from changing the filenames. So keeping whatever name the files originally have is less work, therefore better.

We get them in a format that is similar to the format I am suggesting we change to (just lowercase). We currently rename them to our custom format. It takes all of 10 seconds. ;)

my needs are simple. I send these videos in through to be viewed via my xbox 360 to watch on my tv. so as long as it is compatible with my xbox 360, that is fine with me.

I change my filenames to the simplest of all. example = 2006 so new season is 2101. if it is a special I go with 1906 - Africa Special Part I. You can call it Richard Dies hair Part 1. Everyone has their own insane method like mine.

Last edited:
can we still include the original air date..i reli like to keep dat so we can always know...

We get them in a format that is similar to the format I am suggesting we change to (just lowercase). We currently rename them to our custom format. It takes all of 10 seconds. ;)
I meant we should use whatever names the scene uses. While renaming files is an simple and quick task it adds extra complexity which is never good.

Having our own naming scheme made sense when we were the source and had to name the files our self. But now someone else is the source and the files already have names.

Last edited:
Neither is great...I rename anybody's feed to:

Top Gear - S21E01 - 2014-02-02.mkv (for the first episode)

Yes yes yes please do use a normal naming format. Speaking for the Seeder side of things i cant stand when popular stuff is given a weird naming format ,and i dont touch them. The Scene rules are there for everyone to use so use them, Beside it gives the torrent an early grave if you dont. Second the Big Boys will come out to play if they can get some cred out of it.Nobody worries to much about speed these days but at least they can do the heavy lifting. So again yes and welcome to the internet this is how its done. :p

I agree it makes sense to move to the scene standard. The only nice thing about the current format is that I can easily the see date of the show. That can sometimes make it easier to find back to older episodes, but hey.

I personally would find this inconvenient, as my entire Top Gear Library uses that format... To change it now would mean that I either A: have to redo the filenames of all the files in my library, or B: change the filename every time I download a new episode. Plus, IMHO, the current format is the most logical format...

Show name - [season/series and episode] - air date [video quality, uploader]

Makes perfect sense to me. Plus, I like having the original air date included in the filename, as it makes it easier for me to add them to my TG/TGUS/Fifth gear playlist, which plays all 3 shows by air date.

I personally don't agree with changing the format... This is something that should have been considered long, long ago, and I think it's too much of a headache to go changing it now.

Personally, I don't mind either way... My question is more of a peripheral one... Changing the naming scheme to something that's on "the scene" won't make it more of a target for takedown notices, will it?

I'm okay with either, though I like how the new one takes less space than the old, and when I label original videos I use an sxxexx format myself.

I've read several posts saying people have their setup automated, which is unknown to me. I don't want to deflect the thread, so if anyone would like to pm me about what the automation does for you and how to make it happen, I'd be grateful.

Last edited: