Silly Engine! You're not a teapot!

KaJuN

Disco Inferno
Car(s)
Mini Cooper S, Landy Series III, Vulcan 900 Custom
My MG's engine has started making a very noticeable bubbling/boiling sound when I turn it off. The sound is coming from the expansion tank and the engine itself. When I was driving it the temperature was normal and didn't show signs of rising at all. The heater definitely didn't feel as hot as it usually does. I'm not losing any coolant so hopefully that means it's not getting burned off through the head gasket (lolwtf K-Series). Right now I'm thinking hoping it's something more simple like a bad thermostat or maybe some air in the system. I replaced the expansion tank cap and it's made no difference.

Basically I'd like a little more input before I go throwing any more parts at the car.

Do you have any air in the top of the radiator?

Also, you should make sure it is properly bled and that it wasn't run without a full expansion tank.

Thanks for the tip! I'll pop open the radiator tomorrow morning and check. It's entirely possible that the cooling system sucked in some air since my driveway is on a very steep incline and the expansion tank was a bit low when I replaced the cap.