SILLY SEASON 2009/2010

Well we heard John Howett talking about Raikkonen during the break in qualifying and how they had approached him, but I think that's par for the course really. It would've been more surprising if they didn't make enquiries. It's a bit concerning that it's all gone a bit quiet on the McLaren front, unless a deal has already been done and they're just sitting on it until the end of the season.

Raikkonen too expensive for Toyota admits Howett

Although Toyota Team President John Howett confirmed that the team is in talks with 2007 World Champion Kimi Raikkonen, it is very unlikely that the Cologne-based outfit will be able to reach a deal with the 'Iceman'.

Howett said to the Swiss publication 'Motorsport Aktuell': "He (Raikkonen) gave us back a figure that is much too high. He says he has two options, so we are going to wait."

Raikkonen is believed to be in talks with both Toyota and McLaren and would be asking the same amount of the teams which he will receive for ending his contract with Ferrari one year early: ?25 million.

^Duh

I don't think he's worth 25m to any team (neither do Ferrari obviously) - for that salary he should have the speed he sometimes shows coupled with absolute consistency.
He should be a Michael Schumacher for that money. He isn't.

I hope McLaren opt for someone else, really, such as Rosberg.

Me too. I think Rosberg would really fit the new spirit of McLaren. It's just Mercedes that it ****ing everything up with their Brawn deal.

Me too. I think Rosberg would really fit the new spirit of McLaren. It's just Mercedes that it ****ing everything up with their Brawn deal.
Yeah and I bet McLaren has what it needs to get back to the front again. A old bird cant possibly not know how to win again.

I would bet that Brawn wont be so hot as this year, setting the scene alight with the BGP-002.

I don't think he's worth 25m to any team (neither do Ferrari obviously) - for that salary he should have the speed he sometimes shows coupled with absolute consistency.

You have to take into account that whoever's signing him isn't just signing a driver, but also a personality and a 'marketing' device

:neutral:<_<

x2

I really, really don't want Raikkonen to McLaren. He doesn't fit at all.

People might laugh, but what about Sutil?

Might fit, he's the Montoya type.

Is their any confirmation on this "Brawn deal"? I've heard rumors of buy-ins, of sponsorship, but not an official word at all.

On top of that: Merc's factory team, McLaren, has never been under pressure to sign a german driver, so why should they put pressure on Brawn, a team that's much more defined by it's britishness than McLaren is?

Doesn't make sense to me, especially as Norbert Haug always said that no matter what, McLaren is and will stay the main factory team.

Last edited:

Well, his skill in running other people off the road might be a useful to take out competitors. But besides that?
I'm not saying he's not fast, but recent history has shown he still does make an awful lot of rookie mistakes.
That move on Heidfeld at Singapore was just plain stupid. As was his excuse. "I didn't see him" Oh please. Of course he didn't see him, he wasn't looking. -_-

I'm sure Ferrari didn't mind a bit of the 25mil they paid him, Kimi won a driver's championship and two constructors for them.

I'd say 25m is a fair asking price, it's the same price as 2007, without inflation.

Anyone know what Lewis gets? Kimi should be asking for the same or a bit less if he goes to McLaren...

Anyone know what Lewis gets? Kimi should be asking for the same or a bit less if he goes to McLaren...

rofl, why should he?

he's gotta be the dumbest person in the world if that question even crosses his mind for a split second.

In F1, even a mechanic gets paid. A driver should never be scared to negotiate and fight for more salary, it's the direct reflection of the driver's self confidence and what he is capable of. Kimi obviously feel that he deserves the 25mil asking price, and to be honest.. I don't see why he would want to negotiate for something less. And just because hamilton is getting a smaller paycheque doesn't mean Kimi has to lower his status to hamilton's level. Kimi is still the higest paid racing driver on the grid, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
rofl, why should he?

he's gotta be the dumbest person in the world if that question even crosses his mind for a split second.

In F1, even a mechanic gets paid. A driver should never be scared to negotiate and fight for more salary, it's the direct reflection of the driver's self confidence and what he is capable of. Kimi obviously feel that he deserves the 25mil asking price, and to be honest.. I don't see why he would want to negotiate for something less. And just because hamilton is getting a smaller paycheque doesn't mean Kimi has to lower his status to hamilton's level. Kimi is still the higest paid racing driver on the grid, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I kinda phrased that wrong. I didn't mean Kimi himself should be asking the same, but he should recieve the same as Lewis from McLaren, whichever way the negotiation goes. So I think McLaren will look at Lewis' salary and match it, or go under it as Kimi will have to go for McLaren anyway if he wants a winning car.