Hmm, it may be a respectable newspaper, but I've only ever heard Finnish F1 scoops coming from Tarun Sanomat or sometimes MTV3, so I'm not convinced about that quote. Someone on Autosport speculated a few hours ago that it could be a mangled translation of the quote AMuS had from Haug earlier, something along the lines of "Kimi has my number if he wants to call", which I think is more likely as there isn't really any background reference to this paper when it comes to F1 news.According to Helsingin Sanomat, one of the largest finnish newspapers, Kimi's managers are still in negotiations with mercedes.
It could well be possible actually, from their viewpoint it would be worth a try when Webber went through that patch with no points, and the rumours didn't originate from Red Bull as Christian Horner shot it down as ever being an option. If Allen is right (and of course, its only speculation), it would at least show that they were interested in Red Bull, although its another matter if Red Bull were interested or not, especially at the price that Raikkonen is asking.Raikkonen may want to come back in 2011, but there may not be many winning seats available. Massa?s contract will be up, but I can?t see them going back over that road with Kimi. The most obvious choice for me would be Red Bull. I think the rumours this Autumn about Raikkonen possibly taking Mark Webber?s seat next year were based on Kimi?s people shaking the tree to see if anything came of it.
Williams sells stake in team
By Jonathan Noble Friday, November 20th 2009, 08:48 GMT
Frank Williams and Patrick Head have sold an equity stake in their Formula 1 team to an Austrian investment company.
Williams and Head have been the sole co-owners of Williams since it was formed in 1977 - and there has long been resistance to selling off a part of the company despite frequent speculation linking the team with numerous manufacturers.
However, Williams announced on Friday that a deal has been reached with an Austrian investment company led by investor Toto Wolff for him to have shares in the team. He will also sit on the company's board.
As well as his business activities, Wolff is a part-time racer ? having competed in recent years in the FIA GT championship and the Austrian Rally Championship ? in which he finished runner-up last year.
Frank Williams is expected to speak later today about the motivation behind the selling of shares.
I'm not taking Eddie Jordan's word for it, his "sources" say that Button was forced out of Mercedes, despite every interview with Fry and Brawn saying they wanted to keep him. Stranger things have happened, but I suspect that this is just wishful thinking and speculation more than anything else.Michael Schumacher is poised for a sensational return to Formula 1 with the new Mercedes team, according to BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan.
Mercedes want the seven-time champion as their lead driver after taking over title-winning Brawn, Jordan says.
"The possibility is being actively pursued and I believe it is going to happen," said Jordan.
Schumacher's spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told BBC Sport a return was "highly unlikely - but never say never".
The plan is for Schumacher to be a stop-gap before Mercedes can prise German rising star Sebastian Vettel out of Red Bull.....[and so on]
I just don't know. He's a good touring car driver, winning the TC2000 the last two years, but he hasn't been racing open wheel cars since 2006. We'll see if he can get the money, but a very interesting choice for USF1.autosport said:AUTOSPORT understands that Lopez has 70 per cent of the funding required to become the team's first confirmed driver and is confident of securing the remainder with a contract with US F1 in place.
"Up until now we have dealt with this over the phone, and given the progress, we went to visit the team personally and talk to Peter Window and Ken Anderson about it," said Lopez. "We verbally agreed a deal that will be completed next week."
Windsor confirmed that he was very keen to finalise a deal with the 26-year-old.
"Until we sign the contract we can't reveal any details about the negotiations," he told Lopez's website. "I can say I have a profound respect for Jose Maria as a driver and a person. He would be a great driver for out team because he brings knowledge and mileage in an F1 car, apart from the extra motivation because he never had the chance to race and show his skill.
"I would be very happy if he raced with us next year. He's not just another driver on the list. Jose is more than that. He is a driver we are interested in and we want him to be with us. Things can change very quickly in motorsport. It would be inappropriate for me to say anything else.
"We would like to sign the contract as soon as possible."
Yeah, we all feared that these new teams would be "national teams", USF1 signing at least one American who brings sponsors, Campos a Spaniard who brings sponsors... But the candidates seem to be short of money; USF1 wanted to have Jonathan Summerton but he doesn't have enough backing, and Campos said that the Spanish sponsors are not paying enough so he's unlikely to sign de la Rosa.So they aren't just going for American drivers regardless of talent, like we thought.
They're going for rich drivers regardless of talent.
I hope that new teams will be like in old days, not like Honda, BMW or Toyota - they will not run away after couple bad seasons. I mean teams like Minardi or Arrows, they were at the back but there was love in what they did, not just marketing.^ I'm not complaining, to be honest. Should give us some hilarious moments yet again. And backmarkers getting in the way have always produced great moments at the front of the field.