Sim City Reboot

It's because everyone thought the world was going to end this year. :|

So you are saying that its not actually going to be released since the world will end prior? Shame.. looks like it would have been a good game.

:D

Thought?

Did everybody change their minds? The year isn't over yet.

Which Doug, Nickelodeon or Disney?

The Nick version was the best. The Disney reboot came during the "must infuse every kids show with a blatent life lesson / learning experience" phase of American television.

You know when shows have "educational consultant" in the credits it'll be pretty crummy.

Looks good :) I really enjoyed SimCity 4, but I didn't really play it all that much, so I can't see this hitting it off massively with me :(

I love the Sim City series, and Sim City 4 was great. This game was long overdue, I hope they do a good job and not some generic, too easy, 3d facebook-like game.

What I do hate is this fashion of "reboots". This is SimCity 5, deal with it, don't try to make it seem like a brand new idea/game series.

They REALLY fucking need to bring back a Sim Copter Streets of SimCity with this level of graphics.

FTFY.

What I do hate is this fashion of "reboots". This is SimCity 5, deal with it, don't try to make it seem like a brand new idea/game series.

When I read "reboot", I thought it meant that Maxis decided to throw out all the lore and canon behind the SimCity series and was going to start fresh. Then I remembered it's SimCity and was just confused.

Exactly, what's "rebooted"? There's no story, no characters, no starting fresh, it's another game about building, planning and managing a city...

I love the Sim City series, and Sim City 4 was great. This game was long overdue, I hope they do a good job and not some generic, too easy, 3d facebook-like game.

As far as the 'official' word goes, this is not a reboot, just another sequel, only without a number at the end. Apparently the only person calling it a reboot at this point is the OP, Aston Martin. From what I've read, both official and not, this is going to be a proper Sim City, with some very deep simulation calculation stuff going on in the background just like in 1 - 4. The only thing "negative" I've heard is that the RCI graphs might not return.

From Cnet-

A sign we live in the future: the next SimCity requires an internet connection to launch the game, Maxis lead designer Stone Librande said in a recent interview with Joystiq.

Origin, everyone's favourite game distribution punching bag, must run on the computer to launch SimCity. After the initial Origin log-in, you can play SimCity offline without an always-on internet connection.

The emphasis on an online experience revolves around the expanded multiplayer element, which includes a global economy, regional opportunities and wide-area issues (pollution, disasters, etc). This development may startle some veterans of the city builder, as one typically built cities and regions in an offline environment when playing previous versions of SimCity.

Maxis creative director Ocean Quigley elaborated further in a Reddit post: "You can build out a region by yourself. But even those solo players are going to be participating in the flow of resources that constitute the core of the games economy ? the economic landscape that they're operating in will be shaped by the actions of other players, even if they are only playing solo."

In other SimCity news, developer Maxis confirmed that mod support will eventually happen for SimCity after its release. Some people still play SimCity 4 to this day because of its enormous community based on modifying the game; players collectively add new features, fix bugs and craft impressive maps years later.

Optimism seems high within Maxis for the next SimCity. In response to a Reddit post comparing SimCity to the underwhelming SimCity Societies, Quigley said: "I'm not going to bash Societies, but I will say that this new SimCity was built from the simulation engine up, and is the one that I wanted to make after I finished working on SimCity 4."

Last SimCity game I played and enjoyed was on my SNES.. not sure what to make of this here.. and 2013.. at least a full year to wait.. don't bother thinking about that now.. :D.