Skate II

Seasonone

Car(s)
RB25 "silvia"
Been playing the demo for a bit, real game comes out Jan 24th.

Anybody else been waiting for this game for a while? I paid for it back when they first took pre-orders :rofl:

Since the demo has a timer, even with the "glitch" to get out of the park you don't get to do much. I have to waste a couple minutes getting max time than bomb some hills to get something new. :lol:

I quite enjoyed the demo, even though the demo of part one gave you more of an impression.
Gonna be a good game, I reckon...

I enjoyed the last one, remember kids use a controller you no longer care about.

I downloaded the demo a couple of days ago and I actually quite liked it. Even on the first game, they did the whole "skater game" far better than Tony Hawk's Pro Sequel Machine and it's billion-point combos and the second Skate just builds on it.

I only played a demo of both games so far, but I'm seriously considering getting it this time around.

Here is a question, is there anything spectacularly different from the first game?

Yeah, you can get off your board, that's probably the biggest thing. You can move stuff around aswell.
It's been leaked for those of you who feel a bit illegal, but get the right version, I accidently 'aquired' the wrong one, only in french :(

^ I swear you could get off your board in the first one. And I suppose moving stuff about is a start to what we all want - a park builder :mad:

No, you couldn't, they even say it in the demo of skate 2, "when you were off in the joint, we all learned how to get off our boards!" or something like that :)

Yeah, you can get off your board, that's probably the biggest thing. You can move stuff around aswell.
It's been leaked for those of you who feel a bit illegal, but get the right version, I accidently 'aquired' the wrong one, only in french :(

And German... Which is ok for me, but I would have preferred the english one..

Well the US release date is listed as today, after driving around Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, than finally one of the game stores and I find out "release date" doesn't actually mean the date it's released. The actual release date is tomorrow... so why doesn't EA say the 22nd is the release date? Nobody cares when they ship them to the stores.

Can you imagine if a movie tried this? Spiderman 4 January 30th!!!!!! (can't actually watch the movie until the 31st)

I think I am just going to steal the DVD instead of buying it now, my personal "fuck you" to EA/best buy.

Some publishers are just stupid and do that. Happened with Far Cry 2... when I went down (the day after the "release" date) the guy was like "oh wait, which system?" "PC." "Uhh... yeah... the pc version comes out tomorrow." "wtf? Why didn't you assholes tell me that when I phoned you :shakefist: "

Shipping before the release date >>>>>>> the "release" date being the shipping date.

I loved the first one. I'll be happy if this is basically the same game, just with different spots, but the ability to walk around and set up stuff is going to be even better. Also, judging from the videos, the animations look smoother, and quite a few new tricks as well.

well the demo has been on xbox live for a while if you want to play it, it seems to be basically the same game with a few small things and a new story. Hopefully this time the story is actually complete :lol:

well the demo has been on xbox live for a while if you want to play it

Last time I checked, it was Gold only, but anyway I'm just waiting for a NTSC torrent of the full game ;)

Last edited:
This might go up there with GTA IV as one of the biggest disappointments for me, I am thinking about taking it back it's that bad.

Well it's not "bad" but it's not even as good as the first skate. All they did was take the original skate, add in some new moves (too many IMO I don't need 10 different foot plants), put in a bland story line about how the city sucks and make it muuuuuch harder to just free skate like I use to in the first. Try to go downtown and there are at least 3 "guards" on screen, and they follow you forever, than the rails have caps on them which is great when you are just cruising and all of a sudden eat shit.

The challenges are either way too easy or way too hard too. Right now I am on a set of 5 ledges with rails at the end, i have to make it down all 5 (and they are just shorter than the max ollie) and do a late flip, hippy jump, and one-foot over them. By the time i get to the end I have no room left to push and no speed to make the gap. How is the causal person suppose to even attempt to beat that? Even the buying menu is worse, it's just a clusterfuck of all the items. I hate having to search through everything to find the 1 shirt from a company I want.

I am struggling to find things that are actually improved over skate 1, after playing this weak story for 2 hours or so I put the OG skate in and had more fun just freeskating.

Last edited:
I really like how you can change the camera angle higher in the settings. The only thing that bothered my about the first one was that the camera often seemed too low, so this is good.

i was a fan of the first skate game and i tried the demo of skate 2 and it really didn't grab me. mostly because of the timer (which i know isn't in the full game) but i don't like games where i have a set time to do things. i prefer to do things my own way and in my own time, not with pressure of getting it right first time.
i didn't really see much different from the first game so i'm not really bothered about it. i'll probably get it in a few months time when its come down in price.

Wish the framerate was as smooth as the first Skate :(

Other than that, I like this one better, but hopefully a patch can smooth it out bit. It's not too bad, but even the reviews are mentioning the framerate being inconsistent.

Last edited:
Eh, the demo grabbed me more than the first one did... The first one I thought was pretty bad. I'm not that great at skating games. I wanted a more realistic game but turned out the challenges were less than...

If I didn't like the first one will I like the second?