Sleeping Dogs (A.K.A True Crime: Hong Kong)

Is it like Just Cause 2?
Similar I'd say, but putting handbrake with throttle hard down the car rotates like a shopping trolley. While this is very unrealistic and anti-logic it's very useful given that the roads are much tighter than most open world games. This enables u to roadkill thugs with ease:p and when u tap the handbrake while cornering you can hold some spectacular drifts.

I would say the driving is actually better than JC2 (only slightly though :p) just because it was kinda broken in JC2 (any car would oversteer if you tried to turn too hard).

Just finished the game BTW and I was thouroughly satisfied by the whole experience (even though the driving physics weren't top notch and I rushed through it finishing it in around 13 hours, saving the side missions, etc. for the next playthrough). The graphics, story, gameplay and voice acting were all great and came together to deliver a superb gaming experience. :)

If you like GTA-style games, get it. I enjoyed it very much, it focuses more on martial arts than guns compared to GTA, but that was a lot of fun, because it's something different and the fighting techniques are quite in-depth (combos, melee weapons). The story is pretty good with solid voice actors. Also for me, it was refreshing to play a sandbox game based in a city outside of Europe/US.

Last edited:
The fighting is probably the best aspect of the gameplay. It's like the Batman Arkham games, only much more violent. :D

Finished this recently and I got to say I really like it! +1 to all pepitko mentioned. It is a well rounded open world game where anyone can pick it up and enjoy it.

I'm about haflway through it, feels kind of too enclosed and too small to enjoy, It's like when they went from the hugely open world of San Andreas to GTA IV, only now from IV to this in terms of size. I dont think it's that small, but it feels that way, add to that a very weird control scheme that is severely biased to consoles. Also the fighting gets really tedious, it's just not a fluid as Arkham is, they want you to use weird combos but it just feels unnecessarily complicated, whereas in Arkham it was a cinch to pull off dozen stringed combos if you had the timing down.

I dont know about the real HK, but the lack of guns and seriously scripted missions add to the boredom. You dont need guns to make a game, Arkham is a perfect example, but Arkahm makes up for it in oh so many ways. Im leaning towards giving up on it because of boredom :/

Last edited:
Finished this recently and I got to say I really like it! +1 to all pepitko mentioned. It is a well rounded open world game where anyone can pick it up and enjoy it.

Yep a great game, I hear there is some DLC might be the first time I'm gonna actually pay for some :p

Yep a great game, I hear there is some DLC might be the first time I'm gonna actually pay for some :p
I think it was EatMyDiction that made a video where he bought/received ALL the DLC and the game didnt let him play, because it wants to tell you about the million things it added before letting you leave the apartment. :D

Eventually picked it up for $5 on amazon today.. I am sure I'll play it eventually.. :D
Wooot play now it's such a great game! Really awesome atmosphere!

Well, 3 month later, I eventually decided to play it. And I just stopped after 54 minutes according to steam, of which most is the inicial scripted bit. Why? The controls in-fight are infuriating. The primary attack seems to work totally at random. It hardly matters when I press my left mouse button, as long as some other animation is still going or about to end. The camera control is just as much pissing me off. I am not sure I am gonna give it another shot...

That's a shame. Most people praised SD for its fighting system. Its been a while since I played but I didn't have any problems with it.

I always thought it was like the fighting in the Batman Arkham games but more realistic and (obviously) gory. :D

Play this on a controller, it's a console port, on controller it plays much better.

Ignore the key prompts, I was using Xpadder to map it to a controller.
[video=youtube;5dxev-Kr4UY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dxev-Kr4UY[/video]