Snow = Drifting (Techniques)

wait, vauxhall wasn't sold alongside opel?

Yes, Vauxhall and Opel has been the same product since the 1970's, around the same time as Ford UK and Ford Germany became Ford Europe. They just kept the Vauxhall brand alive for the UK market for whatever reason.

Vauxhall rebadged a couple of V8 Holdens in the 00's though. Opel never got those.

And Opel isn't GM anymore. The last GM product they made was the second gen Insignia, aka Buick Regal. It's a PSA brand now.

It depends. For a street car / daily driver, AWD is the best.
Not to go all posmo on you but really unless there is a decent amount of white stuff on the ground or you have a LOT of power AWD isn't all that useful. I can tell you from personal experience that the only time I put the X into 4Hi is when it's snowing. Even then if its 1-2" I don't always bother, it just requires a slightly more relaxed right foot.

Mind you I don't do winter/summer tires on my cars, so it's not like I have additional grip compared to an AWD on all seasons.

Of course a lot depends on the AWD system itself, FWD biased crap in most CUVs can die in all of the fires.

On snow tires my TL has poor traction even in the dry. Also, open diff cars will pretty much always have traction problems unless you drive like grandma.

FWD and RWD aren't bad per se - they have some advantages over AWD - but AWD is just more efficient in terms of putting power to the ground. Just this morning AWD helped me make a turn across traffic that I would've hesitated to attempt with 2WD - I could just floor it and duck between two oncoming cars (not saying I cut anyone off, just that it wouldn't be that much slower to make that turn in my Acura and I probably wouldn't have tried it).

F-series? Won't be beat by GM. Even Ram beat the Silverado last year (although not if you add in the Sierra, in which case GM trucks still fall short of Ford).

Ford as a whole, not a specific product within the brand. Ford's earnings were terrible, and it seems to be a trend.

On snow tires my TL has poor traction even in the dry. Also, open diff cars will pretty much always have traction problems unless you drive like grandma.

FWD and RWD aren't bad per se - they have some advantages over AWD - but AWD is just more efficient in terms of putting power to the ground. Just this morning AWD helped me make a turn across traffic that I would've hesitated to attempt with 2WD - I could just floor it and duck between two oncoming cars (not saying I cut anyone off, just that it wouldn't be that much slower to make that turn in my Acura and I probably wouldn't have tried it).
That's cuz Acura's are terrible :p

Best is 4WD because you can make it RWD, agree with you on open diffs I likely wouldn't have to use 4Hi as much in the X if it didn't have an open diff at the rear (it's lockable but only in 4Lo)

If you are dealing with a lot of white stuff a lot of the time then yeah I can see why AWD is the better choice there.

Yes, Vauxhall and Opel has been the same product since the 1970's, around the same time as Ford UK and Ford Germany became Ford Europe. They just kept the Vauxhall brand alive for the UK market for whatever reason.

i always thought left hand drive = opel, right hand drive = vauxhall
australia also has vauxhalls, but no opel...

GM did sell right-hand-drive Opels in the UK for ... reasons

That’s odd since Australia had Holden.

which only featured cars designed, developed and built in aus?
if one of the criteria wasn't met, it couldn't be a holden?

Australia had Opel for a while but they disappeared a quickly as they came.

And I know of a LHD Vauxhall Carlton 2000 Automatic. Ex diplomat car. Someone was too fancy to buy a Rekord.

Eh? Weren't Chevy pickups under the Holden brand?

I don’t think that’s what he meant... It seems odd that GM would make an Opel/Vauxhal for Oz when they already have a brand specifically for that country.

At least it’s odd they wouldn’t have rebadged it, like they did with Holdens they brought to the states

No, they slapped the Holden badge on various vehicles built elsewhere, including the Astra F. The Holden Barina was sometimes a Suzuki Swift, sometimes an Opel Corsa and sometimes a Chevy Aveo.