So I am starting a new website to defeat my pet peeve...

Also Football (Proper) is the biggest sport in the world so get with it.
you can?t force anyone to like it, but you have to aknowledge that the vast majority of the world does... or at least it appears to be the only thing that many people -regardless of their background, skin color, religion, favorite sort of chocolate- can agree on...

Of all the fucked up things in the world, this is what pisses you off the most?
seriously...

Flags don't hold any meaning to me. Nationalism breeds hate and then violence, it's been proven again and again. A flag is just a sheet of cloth with a design printed on it to me.

Nationalism isn't inherently evil, as there are extremes to most every political idea or value. You might want to take a political theory or world politics class in the future so you don't make yourself sound ignorant.

Nationalism isn't inherently evil, as there are extremes to most every political idea or value. You might want to take a political theory or world politics class in the future so you don't make yourself sound ignorant.

and you might want to go for a smoke.

In our case the waving of flags that are not on public buildings, or at a very special occasion is sort of frowned upon as it is a device used by neo Nazi parties to try to appeal to the nationalistic element in citizens of GB. Oh and the other place where there are lots of flags in N.Ireland.

There is the exact reason why I don't care about political correctness and shit. There are a couple of flag fliers near me (one guy who puts up every flag on every special occasion, like saint George's day or saint Patrick's day) and I've yet to see a tatty flag in this country.

I don't see why someone shouldn't fly their flag, and I don't even want to get started on patriotism, I really never understood people's problems with it...

I agree with the idea that people should show respect with flags, but leave it there please.

Here, flying, or displaying flags in any way on private homes has been discredited by the communist regime. Everyone had to display a Soviet and a Czechoslovak flag on certain days of the year or elso he'd be in trouble. Since then, no one ever does it. Unless we're winning some sports event or something. And the extreme rightists do it, like anywhere else.

I think I understand why so many Americans like hanging the US flag outside their house or business, but can someone explain to me this retiring of flags?

No offense, I know it's the symbol of your country, but it's afterall just a $5 flag. Okay, burning flags is characteristically unpatriotic, but why can't you just chuck away the tattered piece of cloth?

If it was draped on a loved one's coffin or something I'd understand, but I find it laughable that people aren't willing to part with a sun-faded, tattered flag unless it's given a proper sendoff.

2422106298_1b1ed7dd70_o.jpg

I'm assuming something like this would be frowned upon in Europe. That is quite unfortunate. I love this type of display.

*large image*

I'm assuming something like this would be frowned upon in Europe. That is quite unfortunate. I love this type of display.

They wouldn't have flags hanging down, probably. I know the giant advert screens in Glasgow Central frequently show ads for VisitScotland, including large flags, though.

On the other hand, most people in the UK know what country they're in without needing a flag-based reminder...:p

On the other hand, most people in the UK know what country they're in without needing a flag-based reminder...:p

Yeah we have chavs that steal your wallet to remind you your in the UK

^ Not to mention the epic gang war between the immovable force of the Helston Massive and heat-packing titans of the Porthleven Posse of which weekly battle royales leave both villages an uzi-bullet strewn mess of shot up chip shops and the burning hulks of '64 Impala lowriders

Of all the fucked up things in the world, this is what pisses you off the most?

Don't get me wrong, i admire the pride you have for your country but seriously, come on.

No, not the most... not even close, but it is just an annoyance to me that people cannot take the time to show proper respect and follow the clearly published (and easy to find) rules governing how it should be flown. They find the time to buy a flag, and run it up the pole, but when it comes to taking care of it... well that is just too hard? My position is simple, either pay attention and do it the right way, or please just take it down. I am surprisingly nice in my approach by the way, not mean or angry in any way!

I stop when I have a free moment and make them aware of the issue, that is all. I figure putting a website up to bring a few other people together that might feel the same way might be an interesting way to go about it, and if it flops... oh well, but somehow, I think it will do just what I want it to. Of course, it is all about proper language and putting together a site that makes sense and it not some crazy whacked out thing ranting and raving about the issue.

I think I understand why so many Americans like hanging the US flag outside their house or business, but can someone explain to me this retiring of flags?

No offense, I know it's the symbol of your country, but it's afterall just a $5 flag. Okay, burning flags is characteristically unpatriotic, but why can't you just chuck away the tattered piece of cloth?

If it was draped on a loved one's coffin or something I'd understand, but I find it laughable that people aren't willing to part with a sun-faded, tattered flag unless it's given a proper sendoff.

Well, I will admit that the typical boy scouts retirement ceremony is rather involved, but if you read through it you will see that it is all about respecting the symbol of your country, just like flying the flag is a an act of showing pride in your country. You are providing your national symbol with a final bit of respect before it is done away with.

Here is a link to walk you thru the ceremony in case you did not know what was involved:

http://post369.columbus.oh.us/scouting.d/flag.d/flag.retire.html

NOW, with that said... it is NOT required to do all that!! The US Flag Code simply states; "The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning." and that is all that is says. Cutting it up is not required, and you do NOT have to automatically destroy a flag that touched the ground either! That is one of MANY misconception that has been passed along for ages.... and one thing I intend to make known on my new site!

Last edited:
My position is simple, either pay attention and do it the right way, or please just take it down. I am surprisingly nice in my approach by the way, not mean or angry in any way!

I stop when I have a free moment and make them aware of the issue, that is all.

I think you're crossing a line here - it's absolutely none of your business - and you'd be told that in no uncertain terms if you knocked on my door and told me my flag wasn't good enough for you.

So it bugs you - that's fine, and good on you for having pride in something, but I think you need to mind your own business - and also be wary of the kind of whack-jobs a website like yours might attract.

If the person who asked me to take the flag down offered to replace it I would be ok with it.

Last edited:
I always thought a tattered flag was cool, cooler than a clean on.e

A tattered flag to me shows character and what could quite possibly be an interesting, cool, and respectable story behind it. A clean one could have just come from K-Mart for $6.99.

Then again... I'm drunk.