So I am starting a new website to defeat my pet peeve...

this thread made me think of elephant ears. mmm, tasty!

No, not the most... not even close, but it is just an annoyance to me that people cannot take the time to show proper respect and follow the clearly published (and easy to find) rules governing how it should be flown. They find the time to buy a flag, and run it up the pole, but when it comes to taking care of it... well that is just too hard? My position is simple, either pay attention and do it the right way, or please just take it down. I am surprisingly nice in my approach by the way, not mean or angry in any way!

I stop when I have a free moment and make them aware of the issue, that is all. I figure putting a website up to bring a few other people together that might feel the same way might be an interesting way to go about it, and if it flops... oh well, but somehow, I think it will do just what I want it to. Of course, it is all about proper language and putting together a site that makes sense and it not some crazy whacked out thing ranting and raving about the issue.

You know what you do really slightly reminds of the kind, concerned citizens, usually part-time secret police agents, who, if you didn't display a soviet flag on a designated day, would ring at your door and kindly ask you, what could've possibly gone wrong that you didn't manage to display the flag of our liberators. And then they'd go report you to whoever could be bothered to cause you trouble.

And that video is just... Why do you have to bother small boys with all the ideologic stuff like that? It's just like the Hitlerjugend or the pioneers we had here, just the ideology is different.

And I agree that battered flags are cooler, just like dirty cars. They look like someone's been using them.

You know what you do really slightly reminds of the kind, concerned citizens, usually part-time secret police agents, who, if you didn't display a soviet flag on a designated day, would ring at your door and kindly ask you, what could've possibly gone wrong that you didn't manage to display the flag of our liberators. And then they'd go report you to whoever could be bothered to cause you trouble.

And that video is just... Why do you have to bother small boys with all the ideologic stuff like that? It's just like the Hitlerjugend or the pioneers we had here, just the ideology is different.

And I agree that battered flags are cooler, just like dirty cars. They look like someone's been using them.

Please stop with the nazi / communist comparisons. It is getting weary and frankly, annoying.

So how do you non-Americans show pride in your country... or are you not proud?

Behave in a respectful manner to reflect well on our home country.

Please stop with the nazi / communist comparisons. It is getting weary and frankly, annoying.

I just ignore that stuff... I know the deal because I am the one doing it, and trust me I am not even close. This is still a to each his own kind of scenario, I just like to give it an attempt, and if I get told to piss off, then so be it. I think I said this once before, but I have only ever stopped at ONE private house... and I will tell the rest of that story when I get back later today... gotta roll!

Behave in a respectful manner to reflect well on our home country.

I agree, but does that not include following the rules if you choose to fly your country's flag? ESPECIALLY if you choose to fly that flag outside of a business??

I agree, but does that not include following the rules if you choose to fly your country's flag? ESPECIALLY if you choose to fly that flag outside of a business??

There's something about that statement that I find disturbing.

You will fly the flag as we say.

Again, it's no-one else's business. As for how I show pride in my country - I am very proud to be an Australian, but I don't feel the need to display that by flying a flag or by making any sort of a statement like that.

Last edited:

I guess we're just proud about the things that are right in our country and try to improve things that are wrong and are done better elsewhere. There's no need to be uncritically proud of my country, just because it's my country.

People are free to express their views, and if that means displaying a tatty old flag, because their either lazy or hate America, it's all legal and their right to.

Well, here I keep pointing out to people I'm Scottish and not English (which is a bit of a difficult concept amongst the French).

I wear my accent with pride.

I keep up Scottish traditions (such as first-footing on Hogmanay, using 'outwith' as often as I can, and Burns' Night); and on appropriate occasions I wear my kilt. With pride. And occasionally cold legs.

I just believe that flying the flag outside a private home is a rather token gesture. Yes, I'm proud of my country (although I'm not blind to its flaws). However I'm not going to shove a bit of cloth onto a pole just to say "I am proud of my country", I'd much rather be judged on my words and actions.

I've no problem with government buildings flying the flag, though...

edit - I think the difference in opinion here boils down to something simple. Americans, as a whole, are more patriotic and proud of their country. Look at the furore over "Obama-flag-lapel-pin-gate", for example. On the other hand, whilst 82% of the English are proud of their country, 78% think it's worse today than it was 20 years ago.

Last edited:
The only time I?ve ever "flown a flag" was the one I had on my car for the entire duration of the world cup 2006. I have to say it felt nice. In Germany we still seem to have some complexes about the fucked up shit that happened 3 generations ago (which I don?t really feel compelled to feel any sort of guilt about), and it seems you can?t put a flag up without being associated with some form of right-wing politics.

I think there is nothing fundamentally wrong with being proud of your country, and I?ve always been a bit jealous of the easygoing attitude that many other nations have about showing this. I also think the american flag looks quite badass, it just looks pretty, no matter what you want to associate with it.

On the other hand, no offense, I hate it when people get all anal about these things. I grew up living in several different countries, and when I got shit from my teachers for not knowing the Mexican national anthem by heart, or (apparently) not paying proper respect to the star spangled banner, this really (and I mean really) pissed me off. I?m german, and if I?m gonna be patriotic (which I?m not) it?s gonna be for my own country, and not someone elses. I?lll respect the countries where I?ve lived or am currently living, no doubt, but don?t expect me to worship them as if they were my own.

I definitely have to agree, I mean if it?s some boy scouts going around offering people to fix them up with a nice new flag then that?s great, but come on, you actually go up to people to let them know that their flag flying method is not up to your standards??? Backflashes of Germany in the early 40ies anyone??? A flag?s a flag, and the specimens that have been flown with more pride than any others before have probably been the ones sporting some heavy burns, bulletholes, and perhaps even a good share of ocean water.

Totally agreed.

I think I will need to find my worldcup flag again, it had an awesome shape after it was on my roof antenna for ~8 weeks and I did ~5000km with it. It was triangular ;)

^ahhahaha FG is full of win today.

reminds me of the only neg rep I ever got = "Canada is a great country is Cuba you dumb Fuck"

lol funny =)

Who's the motherfucking piece of shit that gives neg rep and is such a fucking pussy they can't leave their name? Fuck you you fucking whore of a fucking person. YOU ARE IGNORANT IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT NATIONALISM IS! Educate yourself before you look like a total ass.

FUCK YOU!

Ok man..... perhaps a little tiny bit of perspective might help here... this is the INTERNET!!! (it was not me by the way)

Are you really going to get that fired up about it?

Ok man..... perhaps a little tiny bit of perspective might help here... this is the INTERNET!!! (it was not me by the way)

SAYS THE MAN THAT HAS FITS ABOUT COOL FLAGS THAT ACTUALLY HAVE A HISTORY INSTEAD OF BEING PLASTIC AND SHINNY LIKE MY ASS

I think I will need to find my worldcup flag again, it had an awesome shape after it was on my roof antenna for ~8 weeks and I did ~5000km with it. It was triangular ;)
yeah, my flag was quite beaten up as well by the time the cup was over, as far as I?m concerned that makes it a lot more authentic than any new flag, even if it were hand-stitched by Angie M herself... :lol:

Who's the motherfucking piece of shit that gives neg rep and is such a fucking pussy they can't leave their name? Fuck you you fucking whore of a fucking person. YOU ARE IGNORANT IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT NATIONALISM IS! Educate yourself before you look like a total ass.

FUCK YOU!
jesus, calm down...

People use that feature when they can't properly defend their position. I've used it maybe five times, I don't remember, but it was primarily against trolls. Other people hand it out like candy.

jesus, calm down...

I'm calm now, you caught me in a bad mood and that comment left on my profile put me over the top.

There's something about that statement that I find disturbing.

You will fly the flag as we say.

Again, it's no-one else's business. As for how I show pride in my country - I am very proud to be an Australian, but I don't feel the need to display that by flying a flag or by making any sort of a statement like that.

The rules are not very hard, or even very strict. I will even admit that there are some things involved with "flag etiquette" that I disagree with, and some of the guidelines are overlooked by just about everyone. The stuff I am talking about is clear disregard for the rules, or a complete ignorance of them which is probably worse in my opinion.

Here is a decent summary of the US flag code if you care to read it. There is very little that applies to private citizens, but the stuff that does is pretty reasonable, and should not be tough to comply with:

Standards of respect

* The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing, unless it is the ensign responding to a salute from a ship of a foreign nation. This tradition comes from the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, where countries were asked to dip their flag to King Edward VII: the American team flag bearer, Ralph Rose, refused, famously proclaiming that "this flag dips to no earthly king."
* The flag should never be displayed with the union (the starred blue canton) down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
* The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery", or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins). Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
* The flag should never be drawn back or bunched up in any way.
* The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
* The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.
* The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations. (Note that on Army uniforms, where the flag is put on the sleeve of the uniform, the flag patch is displayed with the stars facing forward, in the direction the wearer is facing. This is done to give the impression of the flag flowing in the wind while being carried forward across the battlefield. This is known as the "Reverse Field Flag.") Flag lapel pins may also be worn.
* The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.
* The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
* The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle, railroad train, or boat.
* When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.
* The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.
* If the flag is being used at a public or private estate, it should not be hung (unless at half mast) during rain or violent weather.
* When a flag is so tattered that can no longer serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning. The American Legion and other organizations regularly conduct dignified flag-burning ceremonies, often on Flag Day, June 14.
* The flag should never touch anything beneath it. Contrary to an urban legend, the flag code does not state that a flag that touches the ground should be burned. Instead, the flag should be moved so it is not touching the ground.[3]

Displaying the flag outdoors

* When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting from a window, balcony, or a building, the union should be at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half-staff. When it is displayed from the same flagpole with another flag, the flag of the United States must always be at the top except that the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for Navy personnel when conducted by a Naval chaplain on a ship at sea.
* When the flag is displayed over a street, it should be hung vertically, with the union to the north or east. If the flag is suspended over a sidewalk, the flag's union should be farthest from the building.
* When flown with flags of states, communities or societies on separate flag poles which are of the same height and in a straight line, the flag of the United States is always placed in the position of honor?to its own right. The other flags may be the same size but none may be larger.
* No other flag should be placed above it. The flag of the United States is always the first flag raised and the last to be lowered.
* When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.
* The flag should be raised briskly and lowered slowly and ceremoniously.
* Ordinarily it should be displayed only between sunrise and sunset, although the Flag Code permits night time display "when a patriotic effect is desired." Similarly, the flag should be displayed only when the weather is fair, except when an all weather flag is displayed. (By presidential proclamation and law, the flag is displayed continuously at certain honored locations like the United States Marine Corps Memorial in Arlington and Lexington Green.)
* It should be illuminated if displayed at night.
* The flag of the United States of America is saluted as it is hoisted and lowered. The salute is held until the flag is unsnapped from the halyard or through the last note of music, whichever is the longest.

Displaying the flag indoors

* When on display, the flag is accorded the place of honor, always positioned to its own right. Place it to the right of the speaker or staging area or sanctuary. Other flags should be to the left.
* The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of states, localities, or societies are grouped for display.
* When one flag is used with the flag of the United States of America and the staffs are crossed, the flag of the United States is placed on its own right with its staff in front of the other flag.
* When displaying the flag against a wall, vertically or horizontally, the flag's union (stars) should be at the top, to the flag's own right, and to the observer's left.