So I am starting a new website to defeat my pet peeve...

SAYS THE MAN THAT HAS FITS ABOUT COOL FLAGS THAT ACTUALLY HAVE A HISTORY INSTEAD OF BEING PLASTIC AND SHINNY LIKE MY ASS

I do not have a fit... I love how everyone assumes I run around ranting and raving about this like some madman. What I do is both respectful and VERY tactful, and some might even go far as to call it nice.

By the way, this little snippet from ushistory.org sums things up quite nicely...

Are there penalties for violating the Flag Code?

No. The Flag Code serves as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. The Supreme Court has ruled that politically motivated violations of the Flag Code are protected by the First Amendment.

The Flag Code has no provision for enforcement. No fines, no penalties. There is nothing law enforcement can do when the Flag Code is broken.

All I am trying to do is make sure people are aware of the guidelines and I ask them to at least try and follow them. If they don't, there is really nothing more to be done about it. On a very rare occasion I have made a return visit to a business and asked a second time, but that is a VERY rare occasion and usually only done when the manager is particularly nasty or disrespectful about his response to me.

How many times have you actually stopped at a business to inform them of their non-compliance?

How many times have you actually stopped at a business to inform them of their non-compliance?

ummmmm.... probably 50 or so over 5 years.... just a guess though.

^^ The fact you've thought all of this up makes me think your life is pretty empty. If you want to show pride in your country, do what the majority do and see a live baseball game. Nothing more American than guzzling beer and eating hot dogs while men play with balls.

Yeah... my life is totally empty.... :rolleyes:

I am in the Army (3 years from retirement), married for 15 years with an 8 year old daughter, I founded and manage a pretty large annual car show, I help manage a website for my brother, I attend all kinds of VW and Audi get-togethers and shows, I teach bowling to little kids, I assist in running a pre-K program at my church every just about every week, play softball in two different leagues, I am training to ride a century, and I attend night school to try and complete my MBA.

It is a shame I have no time to attend the "I hate my crappy, empty life" conferences...

Perhaps you might not want to troubleshoot my life....

Yeah... my life is totally empty.... :rolleyes:

I am in the Army (3 years from retirement), married for 15 years with an 8 year old daughter, I founded and manage a pretty large annual car show, I help manage a website for my brother, I attend all kinds of VW and Audi get-togethers and shows, I teach bowling to little kids, I assist in running a pre-K program at my church every just about every week, play softball in two different leagues, I am training to ride a century, and I attend night school to try and complete my MBA.

It is a shame I have no time to attend the "I hate my crappy, empty life" conferences...

Perhaps you might not want to troubleshoot my life....
Mr. Anglophile there is gonna be hard-pressed to respond to that. :clap:

I really don't understand the backlash on this thread. He's not ordering anyone to raise the flag. All scott wants to do is make sure that people who do choose to raise the flag do not inadvertently raise a tattered flag. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Also guys, scott's in the military as he claims above. Is it any surprise, then, that he's going to want to see his flag, the flag he served for, to be shown some respect? Don't consider it nationalism, consider it pride in your work.

So how do you non-Americans show pride in your country... or are you not proud?

That's an awkward question to answer, I'd say since the collapse of the empire we have been less and less proud of our country, for a few reasons. One, the empire was pretty evil and we also now have little power on the international stage. Also we haven't been happy with our goverment in a long time.

This hole "chav culture" we have in the UK is also makes it hard to have respect for your country, and the nanny state stuff. Personally I'm not patriotic about the UK at all, But the EU, I quite like because it means I can have the opportunity to move to another country freely. Hopefully when I've finished my degree I can move abroad and leave the UK to sink into the North Sea under the weight of its own failure.

Also, One thing I do like about the patrioticness (is that a word?...it is now!) of the US is there respect for soldiers, something the UK doesn't have and should. Our soldiers get treated like shit by the Government and the citizens seem to be complete unaware of what there doing around the world due to plain and simple ignorance.

I really don't understand the backlash on this thread. He's not ordering anyone to raise the flag. All scott wants to do is make sure that people who do choose to raise the flag do not inadvertently raise a tattered flag. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Also guys, scott's in the military as he claims above. Is it any surprise, then, that he's going to want to see his flag, the flag he served for, to be shown some respect? Don't consider it nationalism, consider it pride in your work.

Which is all well and good - but IMHO it's not any of his business.

To whoever gave me this neg rep:
I liked it better when your country was Czechoslovakia, sounded much cooler than the gay shit you have now
I wish you get a chance to be on the receiving end of a dictatorship to enjoy all the coolness.

Otherwise, I think anti-net summed it up quite nicely. There are too many things wrong with any country to shout about how much I love it.

Also, One thing I do like about the patrioticness (is that a word?...it is now!) of the US is there respect for soldiers, something the UK doesn't have and should. Our soldiers get treated like shit by the Government and the citizens seem to be complete unaware of what there doing around the world due to plain and simple ignorance.

I think you meant to say patriotism, but I like your new word... it made me laugh!

I agree with you on the UK and their Soldiers, I got a brief chance to talk with a few of them in both Germany and Kuwait, and while they were certainly in great spirits, you could tell that they sort of resented us a bit for the huge difference in how we got treated.

I agree with you on the UK and their Soldiers, I got a brief chance to talk with a few of them in both Germany and Kuwait, and while they were certainly in great spirits, you could tell that they sort of resented us a bit for the huge difference in how we got treated.

Yes, I think no matter what your opinion of the conflicts we take part in, you should respect and treat well the soldiers who voluntarily risk death or worse at the hands of others.

To whoever gave me this neg rep:

I wish you get a chance to be on the receiving end of a dictatorship to enjoy all the coolness.

Otherwise, I think anti-net summed it up quite nicely. There are too many things wrong with any country to shout about how much I love it.

Whoever gave you that -rep is a complete tool shed, and should be pretty ashamed of themselves.

As for the other comment... of course my country has TONS of problems, but it also has TONS of things I love, so why not focus on the positive while trying your best to fix the problems? Let's not get this off on a political tangent, but trust me... I have lots of issues with lots of things in my very own country, but I am still going to fly my flag because it reminds me to do what I can to help get my country back to a better standing on the international stage! I hate people thinking that the USA is just a big dumb bully when it is soooooooooooooooooooooo much more than that!

I can understand people who have served being proud of their country.. I sure as hell would be pissed at people disrespecting their country if I had just gone out and fought for it.

I don't get your pet peeve,or why it's so important to you
but hey, if it floats your boat, more power to ya

Yes, I think no matter what your opinion of the conflicts we take part in, you should respect and treat well the soldiers who voluntarily risk death or worse at the hands of others.

Agreed, Personally I didn't agree with the Iraq War, but the fact of the matter is this: We are there now and there not much that can be done about it, yes there hippies that say we should withdraw the troops now but that would just leave the Iraqis in the shit, we've got to make sure we help Iraq sort out there country and support the troops who are there doing that job.

We don't really do the hole flag waving thing in the UK atleast and whenever someone is doing some flag waving there typically from the BNP and are shouting racist bullshit.

I don't really like Nationalism, I think it can cause people to have a different view of there country and not want to criticize the culture or goverment out of fear of been unpatriotic, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: OK well there is sometimes a bit of flag waving such as The Last Night of The Proms and for the Queen Golden Jubilee, and football but that's about it really.

dont forget that showing your self to have any kind of pride in being british is also illegal here.

theres always some benefit sponging motherfucker asylum seeker who wont agree with any kind of "look at me im british and damn proud"

not that theres much to be proud of here anymore. i think the last time i felt an overwhelming sense of pride for britain it was the queens jubilee and this happened

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu21rM9ahkY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
dont forget that showing your self to have any kind of pride in being british is also illegal here.

theres always some benefit sponging motherfucker asylum seeker who wont agree with any kind of "look at me im british and damn proud"

not that theres much to be proud of here anymore. i think the last time i felt an overwhelming sense of pride for britain it was the queens jubilee and this happened

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu21rM9ahkY[/YOUTUBE]

If that doesn't make you proud to be british then nothing will. Coolest thing ever.