Ownership Verified: So, I bought a Porsche.

...and even I'm a Puffalump. I wondered why this piece of fuzz wouldn't come out of my hair this morning only to look at it a bit more closely and discover that it's Porschelump paint. Oops.

I drove it the other day with all the extra weight removed (weight in the spare tire hole, heater, aircon, etc.) and OMG YES. Love love love love love love love this car. The handling is WAY better now--the rump doesn't want to kick out as much.

BEST PURCHASE EVER.

Puffalump! Puffalump! Puffalump!

BM2UEErCYAAK07d.jpg

BM0qfomCIAAXP1k.jpg

(Yes, yes, I have the extra bits to lengthen the orange stripes all the way that go on...today.)

Tomorrow: inspections.
Saturday: race!
Sunday: moar racing!

Things I'll admit I'm afraid of this time:
1. Missed shifts/noob mistakes. Dude, I still don't know how to drive a stick, and I've never driven this track before. If I stall in the pits...grrrrr.
2. Fifth gear. I never use it. If I have to grab it...what the heck? I AM USED TO FOUR GEARS MAX. THIS IS BOLLOCKS.

Last edited:
Yep, that was the to-do list.

In other news, WTB: 944 shell.

9asedada.jpg

evu3ymes.jpg

senu6uty.jpg

The Puffachump is dead. Long live the Puffachump. The first driver in spun in the carousel at TWS, four cars piled up behind it and someone either didn't see it or went in too hot and t-boned the door hard. The frame is bent and the cage caved in at that side. The rest of the car still works great, but the whole car is definitely bent now.

Roll cages FTW. The driver might have a bruised knee, but that's it. The driver who hit us was fine, too.

Sucks, but it happens. The swap into a new shell could be done by September, so LeMons isn't out yet. I just need to find something, I guess.

917...because racecar, duh.

Racing scars, cool! And as always, it still counts as fun if no one gets hurt.

Hope you get it fixed, or a new car or something. How do these things work on a racetrack? Does the guy who hit you take care of expenses?

Oh no! Glad every one is relatively unscathed.

Hope you get it fixed, or a new car or something. How do these things work on a racetrack? Does the guy who hit you take care of expenses?

Each is responsible for their own car. That's not a hard-coded rule, but it's the expectation. Depending on the circumstances, apologies and offers of help in repairs happen, but those are matters of goodwill and sportsman-like conduct, not a rule.

Each is responsible for their own car. That's not a hard-coded rule, but it's the expectation. Depending on the circumstances, apologies and offers of help in repairs happen, but those are matters of goodwill and sportsman-like conduct, not a rule.

That surprises me. I would expect more people jumping out of their car, yelling "Asshole! Look what you did to my car!"

That surprises me. I would expect more people jumping out of their car, yelling "Asshole! Look what you did to my car!"

That happens. In the heat of the moment, it's tossed aside (by both) as adrenaline. If it persists, it's considered unsportsmanlike. When I've seen that kind of attitude persist, it's when there was a significant difference in the price of the vehicles involved. A Ferrari and a Miata "coming together" is more likely to create bitterness on one side or the other than two Miatas mashing each others fenders to pieces. Wait, bad example, that's every Spec Miata race ever. How about than two CMC2 Camaroes mashing into each other.

The "everything's cheap here" at LeMons and Chump helps avoid the price discrepancies that can be seen at, say, Grand Am races.

Yeah as already said, after seeing what happened in Le Mans and at the Ring during VLN, I am just glad to see its just dead metal and nobody was (seriously) harmed.

Racing scars, cool! And as always, it still counts as fun if no one gets hurt.

It's every car for itself. I'm looking at ~$5K to put it all back together: new shell, new cage (not effing around with it this time--handing it off to a professional to deal with), maybe some drivetrain bits in the middle, too. I'll have to see how complete the replacement shell is and if there's any little things that are borked in mine.

If anyone knows of a 944 shell that's fairly straight and rust free, please let me know ASAP. I want to have this thing running for shakedown runs by August.

No more of this last-minute stuff. Either people on the team can get items done by when I need them to get done, or I'm gonna start handing off tasks to people I know who can do 'em on time. The timeline's too short, there's too much work to do, and most of all, we need to get it out of Rob's yard quickly! The car's going to be at a friend's house for a while so we can work on it in the evenings instead of the track (which typically closes at 6).

Nope. The LAST thing you want to do is get out of the car. Unless it's on fire, it's better to stay strapped in to the item that might be punted (again) than it is to get out and become something that could be hit and/or squished by the possible projectile. As seen by the picture above, people don't always see yellow flags for chaos on track, can get the car slowed down enough to avoid said chaos and/or know what to do when a yellow flag is thrown. Or heck, I'm not even sure a yellow flag was even thrown yet. Either way, you can't always see what's going on up track from you. It stinks and kind of means you're a sitting duck (data showed that we were stationary at the time of impact), but you've just got to sit tight and wait for the tow in that situation.

"Something is borked" flags are kind of a weird thing. There's what you're supposed to do, and there's a bunch of people who are sort of new to this whole thing on the track. I'm pretty sure the flag stand is right at that corner, so I'm not even sure how much advance warning the guy who hit us even had beforehand.

Last edited: