So I had an accident...

@ katwalk: No offense, but have you ever been in a high-speed accident? I hope not. We here on the forums can talk easily, we were not in the driver seat.
In an emergency situation many drivers make all kinds of mistakes, because reacting the right way requires experience and training. Two things Alok's friend didn't have.

The problem is that in a panic situation you look at the obstacle ("Oh no, I'm gonna hit that tree!") - and you automatically steer your vehicle in that direction. You have to train to look for the gap so you can steer there. And Alok's accident was at night, so visibility was low anyway.

Yes but in that case I was the tree, someone hit me at high speeds.

Let me put it a different way. To get to the lose complete control of the car and panic situation normally something has to happen to lose control of the car first. For it to go that wrong I think something had to happen out of the ordinary to get to panic mode, like realizing the car is not stopping as it should and freaking out from there.

Guys, we have all been going about this the wrong way.

The obvious thing to do right now is

a) Sue the Satnav maker for not putting a Warning sticker on the Satnav device that it would distract you from driving

b) Sue Hertz for not issueing a warning to their customers that this sort of thing might happen

c) Sue Ford for building a car that allows you to do this sort of thing

The blame is clearly with these corporations and not with the driver. God Bless America.

Wait... Alok, Germany's premier automotive event photographer, doesn't have a driver's license? :lol:

Also, this is why I use maps and common sense. GPS devices dumb people down and they end up having accidents like this one.

...and braking felt like we were on wet cobbled stones.
While rounding a corner in a FWD econo-box? That sounds about right.

Last edited:
While rounding a corner in a FWD econo-box? That sounds about right.

+1

The ABS engaging and disengaging the brakes over and over is going to sound/feel like you're braking on cobblestones.

Last edited:
Guys, we have all been going about this the wrong way.

The obvious thing to do right now is

a) Sue the Satnav maker for not putting a Warning sticker on the Satnav device that it would distract you from driving

b) Sue Hertz for not issueing a warning to their customers that this sort of thing might happen

c) Sue Ford for building a car that allows you to do this sort of thing

The blame is clearly with these corporations and not with the driver. God Bless America.

Indeed! I wonder how much a suite like that would set one back, loosing three cases against big companies with expensive lawyers. I'd rather not think about it on second thought.

Yes, but the 'extensive' training that 'all Europeans get' seems to have done absolutely no good whatsoever. So, essentially, that training money and time was completely wasted.
Even fighter pilots mess up sometimes despite their very extensive training, it's a human trait. The objective of training is to make fewer people mess up than would otherwise be the case, I have had use for my training many times but no other time have it mattered so much as the time I nearly made friends with the front of a Volvo 9700.

I had had my license for a year and I was a courier so I was driving my work van. It was winter but I had real winter tires with studs and the van had ABS so I was fine and could drive in the way a courier normally drives, always in a bit of a rush.

I was in a residential neighborhood and I was coming up on a T-junction with a larger road, visibility was not great because of buildings on either side, I'm going below the speed limit (50km/h) and when I brake nothing happens, I just skid, pedal vibrating under my foot. Then things happen fast, I realize if I keep skidding I will slide onto the main road and I see a mound of snow to my right and decide to try and aim for it. Luckily I have some steering and I manage to partially hit the heap of snow and stop. Maybe a second later a large inter-city bus swoops by from my left.

Had I not had my skid pan training and the experience of how it feels like to skid helplessly I think I may have frozen up and ended up going straight into the path of the bus. Were the tires not studded I dont think I'd be able to turn at all, it was so slippery it was stupid. But the most stupid was me for thinking that I could drive like it was the summer time just because I had good tires.

Last edited:
I don't spend a penny on equipment. All of it are sponsored, almost.

So have you never earned anything from taking the millions of pictures so far? Or is a license not on your list of priorities.

Considering what you do requires you to move about, maybe you should think about that. I doubt 1500e (what I've understood is the cost of a license in .de) is such a huge amount versus the benefits it provides.

So have you never earned anything from taking the millions of pictures so far? Or is a license not on your list of priorities.

Considering what you do requires you to move about, maybe you should think about that. I doubt 1500e (what I've understood is the cost of a license in .de) is such a huge amount versus the benefits it provides.

Most of my work currently I do is either in return for the equipment I receive from people or my personal non profit efforts to uplift the drifting scene in Germany. Right now I play a relatively not so insignificant role in the scheme of things and as a result, I do not charge money for most of the stuff.

Apart from that, the priorities come in. I owe my university close to 23 grand in the form of loans, a part of which needs to be paid soon in order for me to get my degree. Then there is the joblessness part and the living costs. Right now a lack of driver's license doesnt affect me as badly as, say the lack of a college degree I spent my last four years on.

But that is not to say it is far low down in the priorities. If my plans work, I will have one before the end of the year.

Glad you guys didn't get hurt, lol at the armchair detectives in here. That is all.

Glad you guys didn't get hurt, lol at the armchair detectives in here. That is all.

That's normal for an internet forum, I guess. A milliion responses but only the right ones to be taken seriously :)

You did ask for it by driving straight off the road and blaming the GPS :p

As for what happened with the brakes, it's all speculation... only you were in the car.

You did ask for it by driving straight off the road and blaming the GPS :p

As for what happened with the brakes, it's all speculation... only you were in the car.

You seem to be very sure that the brakes worked perfectly fine despite me not feeling a thing (you know, I kinda was in the car at the time) and the mechanics having reported something awry with the car.

Maybe its a case of 'one reads what one wants to read'.

EDIT: :lmao::lmao: just saw my new title :D Funny that the navigation unit was indeed a TomTom :D

Last edited:
That's not what I meant at all. I was saying only you were in the car to know what it felt like, we are all just speculating based on your description.

meh, this is the internet, and when thread titles have words like accident, crash, boobs, etc. in them they tend to attract a lot of attention...
:mrgreen:

Glad that you and your friend are safe and uninjured. (All that really matters.) :)

Alok, no disrespect to you, but I and I guess most people have encountered a number of situations where you have to brake suddenly and the ABS engages, and when you are approaching something you are about to hit it always feels like you are not braking at all (esp in the wet), just endless sliding, I guess its because of the adrenaline. The first time this happened to me I also thought something is wrong with my brakes. You only notice how hard you braked after all your stuff impacts on the centre console and puts a dent into it ;)

Although it could still be something wrong with the brakes, but I think it is a very uncommon thing not to work (thank god).

Last edited:
we grant you permission to say cock

Similar thing happened to me, I'm a limo driver and I had to pick up a client at the airport. Unfortunately I had the Mr T voice on my sat nav, which for some reason avoided the airport completely. :(