So, this car company with the most great cars

If you're upset about a rep, take it up with a mod and keep it out of the thread, and certainly dont try and provoke more attacks by posting pointlessly. Its a waste of time for the people who have to scroll past all the crap who want to read or contribute something that's at least somewhat relevant to the topic

On the guy talking about Nissan, the Pathfinder? really???

Fair enough.

BTW can we add the Shelby Cobra as a awesome ford ? They were ford powered and sold in Ford dealerships.

Last edited:
Usual great mix US UK - AC cars Plus Shelby magic and Ford power - Win.

See P51B/C/D mustang for similar collaboration.

Wonder if GM counts? As it's more than one brand? Whereas Ford is just Ford.

Anyway it's gotta be Ford, though I would want to say BMW as their standard of car is nearly always top quality.

i have to say this debate is rather amusing. of course a mass model producer is more likely to have the greater total but that really doesnt say or mean anything.

a little example of what i mean

company A produces 100 models, 40 of which are great
company B produces 20 models, 18 of which are great

producing the higher great models is meant to mean something ? really ?

i kind of agree, but then you end up with those small number producers like zonda and koenigsegg. if you only make 1 car, it isn't hard to have 100% great cars...

I'd count that as a Mustang, not an entirely different car.

then you call this thing a mustang as well??
1969_detomaso_mangusta_01_m.jpg

for me a car is defined by its chassis/body, not the engine

Its the total package including the interior - Maybach forinstance is all about the interior and the chassis and suspension - comfort is what matters for that car.

i kind of agree, but then you end up with those small number producers like zonda and koenigsegg. if you only make 1 car, it isn't hard to have 100% great cars...

of course.but really what is it meant to mean that a company that has produced massive amounts of models has a greater total than one that has produced less models to start with(even if you exclude those that have only made a few of models like zonda etc) ? if you you want to say how many great cars they have produced then why not show the flip side and add how many crap ones as well ? its just as relevant and still wont mean anything in the end to most people. ;)

You can add the 1932 ford to the list. First mass produced car to offer a V8.

You can add the 1932 ford to the list. First mass produced car to offer a V8.
Wikipedia begs to differ:
The first mass-production automobile V8 was introduced in the United States in 1914 by Cadillac, a division of General Motors which sold 13,000 of the 5,429 cc (331 cu in) L-head engines in its first year of production. Cadillac has been primarily a V8 company ever since. Oldsmobile, another division of General Motors, introduced its own 4 L (~244 cu in) V8 engine in 1916. Chevrolet introduced a 288 cu in (4.7 L) V8 engine in 1917, but after merging with General Motors in 1918, discontinued the V8 to concentrate on economy cars.

of course.but really what is it meant to mean that a company that has produced massive amounts of models has a greater total than one that has produced less models to start with(even if you exclude those that have only made a few of models like zonda etc) ? if you you want to say how many great cars they have produced then why not show the flip side and add how many crap ones as well ? its just as relevant and still wont mean anything in the end to most people. ;)

Thats not necessarily true, Fiat and GM have produced massive amounts of cars as well as Toyota and VW, but there arent many of us considering them for the running. Just because a company produces alot of cars doesn't mean any of them were great or that there's more of a chance for them to have the most great cars. I think Ford has just had the right attitude for most of its life. From being a pioneer to making one of the most famous flops of all time to building one of the greatest racecars ever just because Henry Ford II was pissed at Ferrari and wanted to shit in their soup. Few of the other big companies can compare. I think Ford just made cars that turned out to be crap; not in the same way that GM (or even Marc for a while) was making crap, with that sort of "lets see what we can get away with" attitude.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

BTW can we add the Shelby Cobra as a awesome ford ? They were ford powered and sold in Ford dealerships.

That's pretty iffy territory there. I'd say no though. Ford didn't care much about them until they started winning races.

Usual great mix US UK - AC cars Plus Shelby magic and Ford power - Win.

See P51B/C/D mustang for similar collaboration.

There was very little AC left in them in the end (especially the Daytona Coupe). Hell AC couldn't even put them together properly when they were asked to.

Are you an idiot? Except for the engine the AC Cobra shared no part with the Mustang. It even predated the Mustang.

The others have mentioned it already that the Shelby Cobra is in no way a Mustang. You may be thinking of the Mustang Cobra of the 90's-2000's, but in that case it was the Ford SVT Mustang Cobra, nothing to do with Shelby.

i have to say this debate is rather amusing. of course a mass model producer is more likely to have the greater total but that really doesnt say or mean anything.

a little example of what i mean

company A produces 100 models, 40 of which are great
company B produces 20 models, 18 of which are great

producing the higher great models is meant to mean something ? really ?

The question isn't "which car company is the greatest," it's "which car company has produced the most great cars?" That's purely a numbers game, sorry.

I think I'm with the majority here on Ford, although I concede that BMW is pretty high up there. But Ford just has such a long and revolutionary history, I gotta go with them.

The only problem with Ford is if producing rubbish counts against them they're out. Every epic Ford can be countered by a Tempo or similar. Still, if the rubbish don't count, Ford would be at or near the top.

I might argue Mercedes Benz as a contender as well, they've done some brilliant things, and apart from a stretch in the late 90s, they've been consistent.

Its the total package including the interior - Maybach forinstance is all about the interior and the chassis and suspension - comfort is what matters for that car.

There was very little AC left in them in the end (especially the Daytona Coupe). Hell AC couldn't even put them together properly when they were asked to.
That is right - never needed AC at all - US could do it all - so why did they bother with AC?