Some Germans tried to break TopGear's indoor speed record

DarkRaven

Car(s)
2007 Audi A3 2.0 TDI
Hi everyone,

I have just seen an episode of "N24 Wissen" which is some sort of documentary covering all sorts of topics on german TV. Today they have tried to set a speed record in doors, trying "to beat the 130 kph record from England". They have not explicitly mentioned Top Gear, but 130 kph is about 81 mph which is the record set by the Stig in the F1 Toyota in episode 08x06.
They had a girl in a 140 horsepower Toyota, managing 111 kph, some bloke on a bike which was good for 122 kph and a racingdriver in his race-spec car which did 109 kph. They have used a 420 meter long track, unlike Top Gear (they had a 385 meter track).
That should mean that Top Gear stills holds the speed record for cars driving in doors.:tvhappy::thumbup:

It was kind of pathetic though, like on several occasions when some german TV show tried to copy certain things TopGear already did before which all ended up in an epic fail. If you take the biker out, since a bike is not really a car, it is even more fail-ish. They even put racing slicks on the race car, heated to about 90?C to give it more grip.
Anyway, I thought I let you know about it.
For all the german readers: The show re-airs next Monday at 9:10 a.m. on N24.
For everybody else: If you are interested I could try to catch a copy.

If I were to try to break the indoors speed record, I'd use some AWD 500hp rally Evo or something. Should do it with ease.

^or use proper tarmac instead of slippy "understeer into the wall" underground carpark coating

Despite Germans being known for their anal accuracy, this approach was half-assed from the beginning. I like N24 Wissen, but it's too infotainment-ish to be serious, hence them failing to beat the record.

^ then, you can as well decare a tunnel to be indoors.

One of the problems is that N24 started to exchange documentary clips with Pro7, Galileo in detail, which really worried me. This one here could be one of them.

And on the tarmac point, that's true of course since grip has been, is and will be the problem. But as said before, there is rarely a building with a tarmac floor and just putting up a cover over existing tarmac is not exactly a building.

Well the Race Of Champions will have a tarmac floor in Wembly and some 4WD WRC cars, maybe that's the best time to try and beat a world record... If you wanted to beat such a daft record that is.

Well, that's a temporary purpose built track within the stadium, I think that doesn't meet the requirements for beeing "indoor". Yes, it is a confined space similar to a building but not that same. I think that won't count.

Well the Race Of Champions will have a tarmac floor in Wembly and some 4WD WRC cars, maybe that's the best time to try and beat a world record... If you wanted to beat such a daft record that is.

130kph in around 100m and a bit? :lol:

I think you may have grasped something some of the others on this thread haven't. :p

Well, I've done about 100 km/h indoors, so I'm right up there with the slow German. :cool: