Ownership Verified: Someone stole my trunk and 2 cylinders - a compact winter beater

There's a 323 E36 Compact parked one block away from me. On Swedish plates, hasn't moved for a year or two. The drivers side window is slightly open.

Poor thing.

SAVE IT

In time for winter, the rear is now free of rust and the paintjob is now proper, without the previous DIY mistakes :)

Excellent! I was hoping you would sort those patches out :)

:thumbsup:

nicjasno: making beaters better than most folk's dailies since 1996.

Decided to switch to winter tires, since who knows how the weather will turn out to be. Temps in the morning and in the evening are pretty low, so better safe than sorry.

So had a fender bender today.. a woman without spatial awareness, that probably thinks rear view mirrors on a car are for decoration purposes only backed into me. She drove paralel in to me, so i would have featured very prominently in her rear view mirror, if she bothered to take a glance. I was pressing the horn, yet she just continued. I had nowhere to go, so it was just waiting for the impact.

emqwxtK.jpg

f5tM1yx.jpg

The offending party:
YMZ6t8G.jpg

She hit my drivers side wheel and bent the steering knuckle slightly
hKIFzYl.jpg

So i had to do a wheel alignment.
CgKGzVC.jpg

We'll see what the insurance will say.

You should get a lottery ticket with that much bad luck you have... :(

At least the case seems to be pretty clear so you can at least get the money for that accident...

So, the oil leak in the engine has gotten to the point where i leave a few drops everywhere i park. This needs to be rectified. For those purposes i cleaned the underside of the engine in the relevant areas as much as it was possible with the means available (brake cleaner, toothbrush, wirewheel on a drill).

Now i need to drive a bit and let the oil flow and see exactly where it comes from. I suspect the source of the leak is behind the a/c compressor housing. I'll report when the car goes on the lift the second time.

Car got new suspension today. H&R springs, sachs shocks and new meyle tie rods. All very necessary. Tie rods were very loose, shocks could be operated like a bicycle pump.. and the springs make sure the ride is a bit sportier.

By5MkJw.jpg

ymarYOC.jpg

MLMmKMs.jpg

HqgUo7D.jpg

RImKl9R.jpg

2SjFJq5.jpg

nicjasno;n3550489 said:

So instead of rolling up the window, you just lowered the car around the window to close it?

Last edited:
Adunaphel;n3550495 said:
So instead of rolling up the window, you just lowered the car around the window to close it?

Something like that :p

So.. on the roadtrip the compact developed a creeping problem with the clutch bearing. It started when DanRoM drove it from Sarajevo back to Rama lake. At the viewpoint i smelled something burning.

After that, the clutch bearing started to get louder and louder untill i could really feel it on the clutch pedal. Something was wrong. To prevent a catastrophic failure i had to source a new bearing somewhere in the Dubrovnik area. Thanks to a croatian e30 owning friend who lives in the area i was able to source a repair pit 100m away from our camping in Kupari. Ivan drove me into dubrovnik, to buy the clutch kit, and we were ready to go.

But before we could get going, i had to help repair a T4 with a burst coolant pipe.
i30M0N7.jpg

Then it was the Compacts turn
6XLeYVb.jpg

This pic shows how intense everything was.
mBHuZAL.jpg

Some rare pics of the process, since we were quite busy and had dirty fingers.
7tXkEai.jpg

Zdr9Yki.jpg

a9A93Tg.jpg

ZpaCVNr.jpg

08Ukxxo.jpg

The standard BMW extension game:
wWRzqft.jpg

Finally, the gearbox is separated from the engine and the bearing was procured:
5ZQ3n9W.jpg

New bearing:
OkWSLNE.jpg

Old bearing:
WZRvzhi.jpg

Job done:
CXnD4aF.jpg

At this point we were both very tired. We wiped down with Lidl wipes as best as we could and went to the beach to have a swim. The roadtrip could be resumed. :p
A3rDGnb.jpg

In zeljava it became obvious that the clutch plate itself is also on its way out, so this is next on the agenda. Changing the flywheel from a dual mass to a single mass, which has been additionally machined and is now about 2kg lighter still.

Another thing that will also be added is an LSD, which i procured just today.
ZWx7PWY.jpg

VEbMSvT.jpg

I’ll keep you posted.

A special thanks to DaBoom !!!! He’s such a trooper and this operation wouldn’t have gone so smoothly without him.

Last edited:
Things might've happened faster with someone who would've been more eager to use brute force though. :p As it turned out, most things that can be stuck, were properly stuck. The guide pin for starter&solenoid combo was the worst, as it was quite impossible to apply force to it. My hammering made some white marks, so it can be sort of identified here (above the red cable). And that was the only direction to reach it from. And of course it went back in smoothly as well. Not.

rwxrjz5nRc_RmCRPBovCflDsYmjJfOftBIlEd_oKHDv5E-jfZFa4di88YyqAtESLyfcMyAVhAxqw8hXqjE8N7woUcXQwgqkkPrzDQKBU0gbqrjthtzGlGeFHWVL5yQZD7DEVlWpgna6_oziEo6NLdEkl_7RF-rtIfs5_L4At7CakKIt-3mDHRLtepUS4RU2TDpBQl0bVlkskQ0mxh9fez8_z8lnK8R5yvCKEieCZsdF3Lda5zw0rmgWZyI1vZclBzB-pjqf2peoIujg3AiKSBQwwExy7qihyj98_M6blbLt1cFuFQFnvjhZrWZrNA51PgmIX-zdEzF9Dfh3zRdIVoLhgX1P7zWreOyyLHIFrKhrh9z2DQt5diEFa3PcmJfU9H9hsbAaFHZie1QTn7FucjI5sHCQT0iq-Jy3KtCAiVGtf5ueXSuhdkScNymBwNJdyzJ3sYYsG4DBF2cvDkmCljRVJ7sLy-_DuvpgHCUfy0gfRSRArFuM8-ar_s3rDrmr_w7vq-9KBPgiS9cZB-1BrEtP5uVnc4t2MyKsC6n9uQbKJW4iSlmbyi67HP62fUiTdomYirUK_qqAApQtW-aeNK9IB7TKfvJvanXcXKScp=w546-h974-no