SpeedTV loses its speed coverage of F1 for 2013

Speed has been moaning "I'm not dead yet...I'm getting better......!" for a while. Finally getting that last "thud" was expected.

I can't tell you how many times it's been on in the afternoon only to have a repeat of a cheap reality/clip-based show instead of, oh, racing?! Anything remotely interesting? Old Speedvision was great, but it died long ago. Add to that the overly heavy emphasis on NASCAR and it simply wasn't a good fit. Did we really need a freakin' NASCAR cooking competition greenlit as a show when actual racing at times of the day I'm awake would be more appropriate for that timeslot?! No. Absolutely not. Yes, they covered a lot of series, but they always made me feel as if they were second-class events that needed to be scheduled around NASCAR and clips of rednecks doing dumb things (repeated for the 87th time). Deciding NOT to send the F1 broadcast team to Austin--OUR first GP in years!--is thoroughly indefensible, regardless of timing. Yet more evidence that they don't take the F1 contract seriously.

To be honest, what Discovery is doing with their Velocity network reminds me more of the old Speed we actually knew, loved, and missed than Speed lately. I'd love to see them pick up some of the other series if they can. Speed's coverage of Grand Am (and by "coverage," I mean "lots of emphasis on the boring prototypes with a tiny shred of airtime for the regular sportscars") is darn near unwatchable, IMHO. Srsly, when we know [blank] who scored a seat in a Mazda/BMW/whatever, cut to the freakin' Mazda/BMW/whatever racing every now and then. Arrgh. If someone doesn't pick up Le Mans, though, I will have to shank a foo'. I can watch LMS races all day.

As for NBC picking up F1--eh, we'll wait and see. For all the wonky scheduling and horrible ads cutting through races that F1 often gets now, I will say that SPEED's F1 team was phenomenal. Fun to listen to and usually informative. I will be sad if a few of them don't move over. I don't trust NBC much after the Olympics, but if they at least pick up a few competent talking heads from the current team, they'll have a good start. Using split-screen ads and coverage on some events is also promising. The fact that they've already said that they'll broadcast practice and qualifying somewhere (IIRC), plus airing the Austin and Canadian GPs (home + close enough) on NBC proper are good signs as well. I will question their sanity if they pick Abu Dhabi over Monaco to air on NBC itself, though--eww, WTF.

Does anyone have SPEED2 (their Internet channel)? I'm on Comcast, which appears to be one of the few providers that don't carry it, but they seem to broadcast a shedload of motorsports series.

C'mon, pick up Buxton!

Or play sharesies with Lee MacKenzie. Cut to the BBC feed for pit lane fun. I wouldn't mind that at all. :)

Buxton was fun, I went to his little bash at the Fado Irish Pub downtown Friday night. He was quite entertaining in person and without the TV censoring him. :p

Looking forward to seeing what NBC does with F1. I'm optimistic even though I feel like I shouldn't be. Bernie wants to expand F1 to three races in the States by 2015 according to recent interviews, and if that happens, we'll be forced to get some good coverage I think. After seeing the people at COTA, I've no doubts we're taking a step in the right direction.

If not, there's always torrents and the BBC.

I definitely think I will do COTA again next year though. It was an expensive trip, especially with Turn 15 seats, but I may go for general admission and a cheaper hotel next time. We'll see.

Just cut to the BBC for the entire race! :D
Well, this. :)
I definitely think I will do COTA again next year though. It was an expensive trip, especially with Turn 15 seats, but I may go for general admission and a cheaper hotel next time. We'll see.
DO EET!

GA views were awesome. I might do that next year.

Anyone wanna be a champ and PM me with some details on where to find F1 online? I refuse to get cable at its current price but I don't want to be without F1 :(

(waits for mods)

Anyone wanna be a champ and PM me with some details on where to find F1 online? I refuse to get cable at its current price but I don't want to be without F1 :(

(waits for mods)

Google is your friend.

Google "Formula 1 live stream" and you'll find some options if you need it live. Otherwise, there are other ways to get what you need if you do a bit of google fu.

I think that was sufficiently vague to not piss of the moderators, but I'll let them decide I guess.

Last edited:
Bah, my google-fu may be strong but I wanted to be the lazy sod who asked just once! Off to google!