[SPOILERS - 28/05/06] Clarkson: WRONG

garethpeate

Tonight's Top Gear (28th May 2006) - Jeremy Clarkson states that the new Mercedes S-Class is the first car to have DVB Digital TV - WRONG. BMW 3 Series (E90) has had it for the last 12 months.

And does anyone else notice his anti-BMW attitude? He's spent years slating the BMW iDrive system for controlling navigation, entertainment etc. Tonight he can only praise the S-Class Merc when it's got exactly the same system (beyond some different graphics).

What's this guy on??

Clarkson is a Merc man - it's as simple as that!

Oh, yes, and add a spoiler warning to the title of this thread.

Eesh guys (and girls). Very sorry for spoiling. I didn't think.

(rarely do at weekends)

Please accept my apologies.

I think he means it stock..? It seems DVB Digital TV was an option for Barbus Mercedes a while back too.

iDrive and COMMAND system are very different...

Seem to be quite similar to me - both have a screen and a control knob (and it's the knob that Clarkson hated in the BMW with a passion. Ironic really).

I appreciate that COMMAND is a lot more sophisticated, but it looks to be the same software underneath.

Re: [SPOILERS - 28/05/06] Clarkson: WRONG

garethpeate said:
And does anyone else notice his anti-BMW attitude? He's spent years slating the BMW iDrive system for controlling navigation, entertainment etc. Tonight he can only praise the S-Class Merc when it's got exactly the same system (beyond some different graphics).

What's this guy on??

It's not quite the same system.

iDrive is done by pushing the knob in one of 8 directions. If you're new to the car that means looking at the screen to see what each direction does.

COMAND, on the other hand, is twist the thing to scroll, and push. Much simpler.

It's not just Clarkson - I've seen many magazine and newspaper reviews mentioning how much better and easier to use COMAND is over iDrive.

i bet clarkson get something wrong in every episode...its not that he is known for reliable information. :lol:

Re: [SPOILERS - 28/05/06] Clarkson: WRONG

garethpeate said:

What's this guy on??

That's because BMW put it on cars that are meant to be sports cars like the M5 and M6. Such a system doesn't belong in such cars.

The S class is a luxury saloon. Such a system belongs in such a car.

p.s. Nobody gives a shit.

garethpeate said:
Seem to be quite similar to me - both have a screen and a control knob (and it's the knob that Clarkson hated in the BMW with a passion. Ironic really).

I appreciate that COMMAND is a lot more sophisticated, but it looks to be the same software underneath.
The software looked completely different. More user friendly from what I've read.

:bmwpoo:

;)

:bmwpoo:

mautzel said:

he's had more BMW's over his life though hasnt he?

1: that system is stock on the new Sklass.. its an option on the beemer
2: so what .. the new Lexus LS has ever more gadget... HA!
(nott kidding.. its more advanced then the new Sklass.. infact its the most advaced car in the world)

LOL,
Well i own the last gen S Class (06 S500), and while shopping we looked at the 750iL and played with the iDrive. Its not that bad as it used to be, but still not as easy as the merc which you can pickup as soon as you get in the car.
I have also been in the S550, the new one, and i must say the Command Drive in there is better then the iDrive as getting used to it is much easier. But in all truth, BMW did role out iDrive before anyone else so Merc just had to sit back and learn.
Well Clarkson is a big fan of the M3, and i think he has owned a few of them in his past.

bartboy9891 said:
mautzel said:

he's had more BMW's over his life though hasnt he?

Yup, but only the older ones.

Kebab gud said:
1: that system is stock on the new Sklass.. its an option on the beemer
2: so what .. the new Lexus LS has ever more gadget... HA!
(nott kidding.. its more advanced then the new Sklass.. infact its the most advaced car in the world)

Yeah, but it's about as sexy as a retirement home's residents.

Who cares.

But it all comes down to the S-Class being easier to use and more understanderble. I guess Merc learnt off BMW's mistakes.

btw: Clarksons a Merc man ;)

A dog and you both have ears and a nose - are you the identical?

I tried the iDrive - it sucks sooooooo much!

Audi and Merc use the same input, but their knobs are much more precise, the menu is better, logical, and you can acess the important functions in ~5 seconds.

On german TV they tested how long it takes you to switch the climatronic & enter a navigation destination (every letter on its own):

Audi: 34 seconds
Merc: 38 seconds
BMW: 1:20 minutes

nothing more to say.