Sports cars under $200k that don't depreciate much?

Esvees

Car(s)
Lancer Evolution IX
A few things got me thinking recently if there are any cars that you can run for a year or maybe 2 that you don't drive every day, but nevertheless get to enjoy that don't loose much value? Since we're not talking auctioned or pampered collectors cars here, I'd put a cap on it of around 200.000 USD. My own guess is anything that's rare + good ought to do well. How about any of the following?

Porsche 996 GT3 RS
Ferrari F360 Challenge Stradale
Ferrari F430 Scuderia
Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera
BMW E30 M3
BMW M3 CSL
Lancer Evolution VI Tommi Makkinen Edition
Subaru Impreza P1
Subaru Impreza RB320

How are those and what else could do well?

Forget the first four. Their value will plummet if your market is anything like the UK.

I'd say any of the last three as long as they are stock and you keep them original you shouldn't lose much. Get a really good, unmolested one and you might find it appreaciates.

My pick? The P1.

Porsches and Ferraris introduced before 1995 would probably fall under this category, so the last few generations of the air-cooled 911s and the F355.

I can think of two off the top of my head:
The Ford GT costs a little more right now than when it was new.
The FD RX-7 still costs around 20K.

Also, Toyota Supra Turbo Mk IV thanks to the Fast and the Furious premium.

Ford GT
BMW Z8

And quickly before anyone else beats me to it....

MX5!

:p

{ slaps MWF around with her BALLS of STEEL }

The only reason I'm considering a Miata (when/if I ever get a jerb :() is because the early models can be had for next to nothin'. This is perhaps the one thread where that's not an answer. :lol:

Alfa 8C. And for whatever reason, the Focus RS500 seems to be increasing in price, at least here. I think Eastern Europe only got 12 of them.

Esvees, what exactly is rear in your parts. im guessing you have a lot of japanese cars, so rears and exotics are USA and Europe?

also if japanese cars are ok, what about R32-R34's & NSX. those were afaik the most expencive japanese cars in the 90's, early 00's

Last edited:
Interesting topic.
The older is usually better but there are some exceptions like the Ford GT. I'd say the main rule is if Clarkson is selling you should be buying. :p

@Thanatos

Actually I'm thinking in general for Europe or the US.

I first got to thinking about this because somebody offered me a very nice sum for my evo recently and there's a fair bit of other interest exactly because it's extremely rare in China, but well-known enough to be sought after. China's car market is very strange though, you can't compare it to much else, not even Hong Kong.

I'm thinking of going back to Europe in the near future and thus the question on whether you can run something interesting for very little cash loss :mrgreen:

Cars are meant to be cash sinks. There's no way around it. There's many ways to slow down the depreciation or hope your car becomes a classic. Buying Japanese is probably an easy way to resist depreciation :dunno:

Nooooooo! Bring the Evo with you! It's just a short drive back across all of Asia. It'll do FINE.

Nooooooo! Bring the Evo with you! It's just a short drive back across all of Asia. It'll do FINE.

Agreed. It'll be like a...what's it called....begins with 'r'....rally! Don't know if an Evo is built for that....wait, wtf am I saying, YES IT IS.

There are plans to build a tunnel underneath the Bering Strait...