Spot Them Beater Cars

Please tell me this isn't legally allowed to drive around ... :blink:

Technically, it's allowed to drive around without a trunk lid at all, though it will fail its next inspection for other reasons. Hoods are also not required in Texas, only that the driver's forward line of sight not be significantly obstructed.

To be totally fair to the driver, I didn't see any rust at all, not even flash rusting (which would form overnight on exposed Corolla sheet metal), on the exposed metal where the paint had cracked off in whatever incident sodomized the Corolla - so it's entirely possible the driver was simply limping their freshly-damaged vehicle to a shop or home. The GMT400 was considerably scarier to be sharing the road with.

Last edited:
Technically, it's allowed to drive around without a trunk lid at all, though it will fail its next inspection for other reasons. Hoods are also not required in Texas, only that the driver's forward line of sight not be significantly obstructed.

But would driving around with no trunk in the case of that Corolla require to mount the number plate somewhere else, e.g. on the bumper? Because obviously the license plate holder/correct position for the license plate would be lost aswell

There?s still a back window to affix it to from the inside...

a well tinted one at that...

They could even tape or screw the license plate to the rear bumper.

Mitchi;n3422222 said:
But would driving around with no trunk in the case of that Corolla require to mount the number plate somewhere else, e.g. on the bumper? Because obviously the license plate holder/correct position for the license plate would be lost aswell

Oddly, I came across a vehicle demonstrating one of the legal mounting options just a few days later.

The license plate light mounting is not legal (obstructing plate) but the license plate mounting solution technically is.

This poor old F-150 was parked next to me last night after I came out from dinner. It was about the most beat up truck I have ever seen still on the road. Note the plexi-glass window and the piéce of résistance, a random hinge on the bedside to old the rusty metal together.

I caught up with Dallas' nigh-legendary beater Falcon. It's looked more or less like this for at least the past 15 years. I've seen this thing all over Dallas for at least that long - this was the first time I've actually found it parked and was able to get decent pictures.

Reactions: lip
Doctor Blade;n1346772 said:
No one will ever steal that thing. Ever. Or maybe he gets a perverse thrill out of driving it? "It's two ugly shades of green! Yeah, you gotta look at it, loser!"

I dunno...

Talk about a horrifying colour combo..

The old Chrysler car is good project to restore as for sure it was very cool.

I’m going to unearth this thread from it’s not-so-shallow grave with this stellar find from Gran Canaria, a Mazda 323F with an astroturf roof and fleece dashboard:

E5EFF5E2-90AB-49A3-B3FA-F03F2F8DF2C4.jpeg

I just came back from a trip to Albania, where I was also able to do a trip to North Macedonia, where I found lots of lovely beater Zastavas...

First this white Yugo kombi hatchback:
tempImageFuOrsP.jpg

tempImage7OAeqq.jpg

Then there was this white Yugo 128 sedan:
BF142FFE-57DC-4FFC-8C34-15005EA60F49_1_201_a.jpeg

And finally, this lovely orange Zastava 311 hatch that looked very tired:
tempImage8eYoaB.jpg

tempImageBrQGnp.jpg

Seen yesterday:
Parked up for eternity at the same spot in the city centre of St. Gallen since 7 years! (Last Autobahn Vignette is from 2015) - Very rare to see something like this in Switzerland.

photo-2022-07-09-23-27-30.jpg

photo-2022-07-09-23-27-41.jpg

OMG, I forgot there was an Astra F Cabrio, that's how long it has been since I've seen one... :razz:

That said, the roof fabric might not be available standalone so you might have to buy a whole roof for ridiculous amount of money when the fabric is torn. The scuffs in the bumpers are pretty standard for cars registered in France, aren't they? :razz:

Reactions: lip