Spy Shot: BMW M3 (2006)

Overheat

Forum Addict
These photos show that the new-generation BMW M3 is undergoing final testing before its launch in summer 2006 - and that BMW is to make its fastest 3-Series available in four-door form once again.

Two-door coupe and convertible M3s are also on the way, however; these are likely to be unveiled, along with the mainstream 3-Series coupe and drop-top, at the 2006 Geneva Motor Show.

As with Audi (S4) and Mercedes-Benz (C55 AMG), BMW is making its compact executive flagship model ever-faster and more powerful.

It is to abandon the familar straight-six format for a 4.0-litre V8, developing around 400 bhp: these photos show the bonnet slightly higher-set to accomodate the larger engine.

They also show the quad exhaust tailpipes and high-performance sports wheels, mounted onto slightly wider axles for increased stability, a lower centre of gravity and enhanced cornering potential.

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
2006 MY07 Astra SRi Turbo
ooo I like the discreet exhaust pipes

if they keep that bodywork it'll be the ultimate sleeper

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
Confident that this will be a nice car 8) I want pics of two-door version! I would say that 400BHP is not a lot next to the C55 but 400 is enough and will feel good with that chassis.

ArosaMike

Resident Kart Racer
Car(s)
Mk5 VW Golf GTI, Aston Martin Vantage GT4 Race Car
400 is not a lot! Christ...what cars have you been driving? A F360 had 400bhp and last time I drove one, that felt pretty quick!

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
ArosaMike said:
400 is not a lot! Christ...what cars have you been driving? A F360 had 400bhp and last time I drove one, that felt pretty quick!
in outright terms you're right, 400hp is a lot, but he said it wasn't a lot when compared to a competitor - the C55:
SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
400BHP is not a lot next to the C55
see?

Buba

Wants Rick Astley's Babies
Car(s)
BMW M235i
^^ Do you guys really think they will do the c55 in supercharged form? Dunno... would keep people from buying the E55...

And I can't imagine, they leave the exhaust pipes hidden, and don't go for the side vents... Would be un-M3-ish... A bit showing off is a part of the car, IMO...

Buba

fbc

Retired Moderator
Car(s)
Buba said:
^^ Do you guys really think they will do the c55 in supercharged form? Dunno... would keep people from buying the E55...

And I can't imagine, they leave the exhaust pipes hidden, and don't go for the side vents... Would be un-M3-ish... A bit showing off is a part of the car, IMO...

Buba
I can't see MB not doing a supercharged C55 - what with the new M3 pushing 400hp and the RS4 over 400hp I don't see what choice they have. They have to match those car's outputs, and given the supercharged motor can do that it seems a natural match

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DONOR
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Agreed, but that rear is ugly...:puke:

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
where are the side grilles?

an M3 needs side grilles! it isn't a proper M3 without them (well, with the V8 it isn't anyways)

justin syder

Car(s)
1986 Mercedes-Benz 300E
I just dont like the new 3 Series. :thumbsdown:

It hasnt grown on me, the 5 is ok and I really dont like the looks of most of the BMW lineup. :thumbsdown:

hajj

Buba said:

Buba
The actual C55 has only got 360bhp, they might do a C63 which will have over 500bhp.

Anyway since when is BMW producing 4-door M3's, I always thought these were only 2-doors. :? :? 400bhp is actually not that good since the RS4 has 400 and something BHP.

Shawn

Lexus? Oh shi-
Car(s)
MkVI GTI w/DSG
No, they had four-door M3s before the current model came out.

I agree, the rear is ugly as sin.

hajj said:
Anyway since when is BMW producing 4-door M3's, I always thought these were only 2-doors. :? :? 400bhp is actually not that good since the RS4 has 400 and something BHP.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
DONOR
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
I if am not mistaken, the M3 Evo of a few years agora was the first 4-door version of the M3....and it was still a very desirable car
:thumbsup:

Yayox

fbc said:
Buba said:

Buba
I can't see MB not doing a supercharged C55 - what with the new M3 pushing 400hp and the RS4 over 400hp I don't see what choice they have. They have to match those car's outputs, and given the supercharged motor can do that it seems a natural match
I wonder why they keep adding horsepower when all the german cars are limited to 155 what is the point if you cannot make them faster??? :thumbsdown: