Spy Shot: BMW M3 (2006)

bone said:
where are the side grilles?

an M3 needs side grilles! it isn't a proper M3 without them (well, with the V8 it isn't anyways)

You are right.. with no side grills is just a 330 on steroids

Yayox said:
bone said:
where are the side grilles?

an M3 needs side grilles! it isn't a proper M3 without them (well, with the V8 it isn't anyways)

You are right.. with no side grills is just a 330 on steroids

This is a pre-production test mule, of course its not going to have the side gills or the exhausts poking out the back. They are only cosmetic features that can be stuck on before they leave the factory.

In any case, i hope they dont go overboard with the decals and bodykit and badges and shite, i think the charm of the M3 is that is a sleeper by nature.

Do they just have photographers that sneak into the ring and just wait for a car to come back or somthing?

Dark_Templer_102 said:
Do they just have photographers that sneak into the ring and just wait for a car to come back or somthing?

yup. spy photographers are always there - there's parts of the circuit that are publicly accessible - that's why you always see the same corners in the shots

fbc said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:

yup. spy photographers are always there - there's parts of the circuit that are publicly accessible - that's why you always see the same corners in the shots

Like I think the Carousel is one of those corners.

Cosworth said:
Too many doors, M3's are coupes not saloons :x

Things are about to change for the M3 and it's all down to BMW's new model identification scheme, which is that all odd numbered cars have 4 doors and all even numbered models have two. So, yes, the next M3 will have 4 doors. The one you should be really looking forward to is the 4 series, which will essentially be the 3 series coupe, and after the 4 series happens, that's when we will see the M4, the current M3's successor.

flyingfridge said:
Cosworth said:
Too many doors, M3's are coupes not saloons :x

Things are about to change for the M3 and it's all down to BMW's new model identification scheme, which is that all odd numbered cars have 4 doors and all even numbered models have two. So, yes, the next M3 will have 4 doors. The one you should be really looking forward to is the 4 series, which will essentially be the 3 series coupe, and after the 4 series happens, that's when we will see the M4, the current M3's successor.
And judging by what happened with the M5 and M6, the M4 could essentially be a CSL and might be a bit more expensive than the M3. Or it might just be an M3 with two of the doors gone. :p

fbc said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:

I remember seeing them. They didn't take any shots of me, though. I'm sure they were more interested in the camouflaged XKR 'vert elsewhere on the 'ring.

Dr. Woo said:
fbc said:
Dark_Templer_102 said:

I remember seeing them. They didn't take any shots of me, though. I'm sure they were more interested in the camouflaged XKR 'vert elsewhere on the 'ring.

the lesson here is if you want to get noticed at the ring, whack a bunch of plastic and black gaffa / duct tape all over your car :p

SkylineGTR34 said:
i hate the ugly rear and hidden exhaust. :(
I dont mind the rear but the hidden exhausts is dissapointing :( It would have been a feature of the car had it of been there. I don't like those wheels either...

flyingfridge said:
I hope you realize that this is all strictly rumors...?

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
SkylineGTR34 said:
i hate the ugly rear and hidden exhaust. :(
I dont mind the rear but the hidden exhausts is dissapointing :( It would have been a feature of the car had it of been there. I don't like those wheels either...
I think the exhausts are hidden only because it's a test mule, and they're trying to hide as much of the car as possible.

Dr. Woo said:
flyingfridge said:
I hope you realize that this is all strictly rumors...?

The whole M4 thing is of course rumors because it has not been confirmed. What has been confirmed and IS official, is that the 3 series coupe will be called the 4 series. So it is only common sense that the next 2 door WOW car from BMW will be called the M4, NOT M3.

I think you're all reading far to much into those spy shots. It's a development car which means it's most likely the suspension and engine from the new M3 just put in a 3 series body. They don't go sticking all the bodywork on the car till very close to launch. The hidden exhaust pipes will be precisely that. Hidden....for the reason that they don't want too many people to notice it has 4 of them, and hence a V8 :p Furthermore, it wouldn't surpise me if they were just using a 4 door body for further camouflage. There's probably not that much difference in torsional regidity between that and the coupe and at this stage of the game, they're probably just doing some endurance work, not finalising suspension settings :)

does anyone notice that the E60 and E90 M-series aren't as fierce looking as their previous models?... this M3 looks so normal just like the M5